harrypotterfan

Provisionally Accepting

Posted (edited)

I received an offer from University of Ottawa last week. It will be expiring on April 13. I would like to provisionally accept now. I am still waiting to hear from Osgoode and Queens. 

If I provisionally accept Ottawa (while noting that that I want to keep my applications open for Osgoode and Queens), what happens if I DO receive an offer from Osgoode or Queens later? Will I be required to firm accept somewhere right away? Will the provisional acceptance for Ottawa still be there? 

Thanks! 

Edited by harrypotterfan

Posted (edited)

You’ll have to make a decision by the corresponding due dates given for acceptances. 

Your provisional acceptance at Ottawa will have to be firmly accepted by April 13th or rejected by that same day (I believe provisional acceptances will be changed automatically by the deadline date).

Edited by LeoandCharlie
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Here's a scenario based on how I understand the system to work.

(1) You provisionally accept Ottawa at present.

(2) In a few days Osgoode hollers at ya with an expiry of April 20th. By this expiry you will need to either (a) provisionally accept and still be considered for Queens, (b) firm accept, (c) ignore it.

• Under (a) your provisional acceptance to Ottawa is permanently lost, and an offer from Queens can still roll in.
  • Under (b) you're locked in to Osgoode, and will be seeing me in August, probably.
  • Under (c) you retain your provisional acceptance to Ottawa, an offer from Queens can still roll in, and the offer from Osgoode will be permanently lost.
Edited by booker
  • Like 1

I’m just going to hijack this thread with my questions. 

So I have provisionally accepted Western as of now. After the deadline of April 1st,  does the acceptance automatically turn firm? Or does it remain provisional until July? I’ve seen some people say it turns firm, and some say it stays the same, just want to confirm.

Also, when you provisionally accept on OLSAS, do you also need to accept the offer on the university’s site (ex. Western’s student centre) or just on OLSAS?

Thank you!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hiddengrotto said:

I’m just going to hijack this thread with my questions. 

So I have provisionally accepted Western as of now. After the deadline of April 1st,  does the acceptance automatically turn firm? Or does it remain provisional until July? I’ve seen some people say it turns firm, and some say it stays the same, just want to confirm.

I believe provisional acceptances turn firm at the deadline. 

4 minutes ago, Hiddengrotto said:

Also, when you provisionally accept on OLSAS, do you also need to accept the offer on the university’s site (ex. Western’s student centre) or just on OLSAS?

You  have to accept the offer through OLSAS. 

Posted (edited)

ALSO, If I accept my acceptance to U of Calgary by April 1st, will Ontario schools have any knowledge of this? I likely opted for them not to share information about law schools, but I know in Ontario if you accept one offer, all of the others still waiting go away. Obviously I want to hear back from more schools, before being forced to make a decision but dont want to give up my spot in case I don't hear back.

Edited by aaronl

On 3/25/2018 at 7:47 PM, booker said:

Here's a scenario based on how I understand the system to work.

(1) You provisionally accept Ottawa at present.

(2) In a few days Osgoode hollers at ya with an expiry of April 20th. By this expiry you will need to either (a) provisionally accept and still be considered for Queens, (b) firm accept, (c) ignore it.

• Under (a) your provisional acceptance to Ottawa is permanently lost, and an offer from Queens can still roll in.
  • Under (b) you're locked in to Osgoode, and will be seeing me in August, probably.
  • Under (c) you retain your provisional acceptance to Ottawa, an offer from Queens can still roll in, and the offer from Osgoode will be permanently lost.

Thank you so much, that clarified things for me. 

Just now, aaronl said:

ALSO, If I accept my acceptance to U of Calgary by April 1st, will Ontario schools have any knowledge of this? I likely opted for them not to share information about law schools, but I know in Ontario if you accept one offer, all of the others still waiting go away.

They won’t know. 

Just now, harrypotterfan said:

They won’t know. 

Wonderful. You're a wizard, Harry!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, LeoandCharlie said:

I believe provisional acceptances turn firm at the deadline. 

You  have to accept the offer through OLSAS. 

Sorry to jump in, but I had a similar question to @Hiddengrotto and looked on OLSAS which says: "Provisional acceptances to first-year programs will automatically become firm on July 3, 2018."

I am going to call schools to confirm, but where did you see that provisional acceptances turn firm at the deadline given by the school? I thought a decision of some sort, whether that be provisional/firm acceptance or decline, just had to be made by the deadline given by the school.

Edited by JDLaw

15 minutes ago, JDLaw said:

Sorry to jump in, but I had a similar question to @Hiddengrotto and looked on OLSAS which says: "Provisional acceptances to first-year programs will automatically become firm on July 3, 2018."

I am going to call schools to confirm, but where did you see that provisional acceptances turn firm at the deadline given by the school? I thought a decision of some sort, whether that be provisional/firm acceptance or decline, just had to be made by the deadline given by the school.

Yes indeed do call to confirm with the school. 

My statment was based off the assumption that you have to confirm your acceptance by the April 1st deadline (I.e make a firm acceptance and not just a provisional acceptance if the deadline to decide was April 1st). 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Please read this: https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/olsas-offers/

Especially this part: "If you provide a provisional acceptance, you must indicate which other choices you wish to remain active. If you do not indicate that you wish to be considered for a specific choice, it will be marked as “Decline: No Further Consideration”. Provisional acceptances to first-year programs will automatically become firm on July 3, 2018."

From that, I understand that your provisional acceptance won't turn firm until July. The deadline of April 1 is a deadline for provisional acceptance.

Edited by SydneyBristow
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SydneyBristow said:

Please read this: https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/olsas-offers/

Especially this part: "If you provide a provisional acceptance, you must indicate which other choices you wish to remain active. If you do not indicate that you wish to be considered for a specific choice, it will be marked as “Decline: No Further Consideration”. Provisional acceptances to first-year programs will automatically become firm on July 3, 2018."

From that, I understand that your provisional acceptance won't turn firm until July. The deadline of April 1 is a deadline for provisional acceptance.

Just called Queen's and I can confirm that the provisional acceptance won't turn firm until July 3!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JDLaw said:

Just called Queen's and I can confirm that the provisional acceptance won't turn firm until July 3!

Thank you for that clarification. 

I just submitted my provisional accept/still to be considered choices on OLSAS. The email I got back has my responses listed as "Unsubmitted Provisional Accept", "Unsubmitted No Further Consideration" etc. What does this mean? After April 1 are these responses officially 'submitted'?

On 29/03/2018 at 6:42 PM, elise10 said:

I just submitted my provisional accept/still to be considered choices on OLSAS. The email I got back has my responses listed as "Unsubmitted Provisional Accept", "Unsubmitted No Further Consideration" etc. What does this mean? After April 1 are these responses officially 'submitted'?

Can somebody please shed some light on this? I'm in the same situation and when I log into my OLSAS account it says:

Document Tracking

We are currently processing your application.

15 minutes ago, skali said:

Can somebody please shed some light on this? I'm in the same situation and when I log into my OLSAS account it says:

Document Tracking

We are currently processing your application.

So I submitted my responses a few days ago and it said "unsubmitted" for all my choices, regardless of whether I chose to provisionally accept or decline.

Now my OLSAS application shows that all the ones I declined as "declined: no further consideration" and "provisional accept" for my other choice.

I believe the "unsubmitted" would refer to OLSAS not having officially processed the application (from thursday) until today.

11 minutes ago, jokesonyou said:

So I submitted my responses a few days ago and it said "unsubmitted" for all my choices, regardless of whether I chose to provisionally accept or decline.

Now my OLSAS application shows that all the ones I declined as "declined: no further consideration" and "provisional accept" for my other choice.

I believe the "unsubmitted" would refer to OLSAS not having officially processed the application (from thursday) until today.

Okay, that's a bit relieving to hear...when you first submitted your responses and logged into OLSAS, were you able to review your information? Before I was able to look at my choices/offers, personal information, essays, etc. but now it just gives me that message about document tracking and I have no access to anything else... just wondering if that is also normal? 

16 minutes ago, skali said:

Okay, that's a bit relieving to hear...when you first submitted your responses and logged into OLSAS, were you able to review your information? Before I was able to look at my choices/offers, personal information, essays, etc. but now it just gives me that message about document tracking and I have no access to anything else... just wondering if that is also normal? 

yes