Sign in to follow this  
scoobysnacks

Rejected UofT 2018

got email last night 

150,156  - 3.51 cumulative not sure about best three (probably 3.7). 

not surprised 

Anyone posting in here who has offers from other schools should keep in mind that they've been saved from potentially taking on tens of thousands in extra debt just for "prestige".

3 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

Anyone posting in here who has offers from other schools should keep in mind that they've been saved from potentially taking on tens of thousands in extra debt just for "prestige".

But better placements on Bay, which if I'm not mistaken, is where you wanna end up ;) 

11 minutes ago, Inconspicuous said:

But better placements on Bay, which if I'm not mistaken, is where you wanna end up ;) 

If you get into any of the big 4 Ontario schools and are willing to work hard enough, you're golden.  My sense is that the reason UoT (marginally) leads the pack as far as Bay Street hiring is concerned is because a good chunk of future students who want to work on Bay have that school as their first choice because of the general perception of the school. Law school applicants who also want to work in other sectors are less inclined to attend UoT so basically what ends up happening is a sizeable proportion of the Pre-Law bay street crowd ends up going to UoT.

Edited by harveyspecter993

15 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

I mean absolutely no offense by this, but aren't you going to Osgoode? How is it any different?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

If you get into any of the big 4 Ontario schools and are willing to work hard enough, you're golden.  My sense is that the reason UoT (marginally) leads the pack as far as Bay Street hiring is concerned is because a good chunk of future students who want to work on Bay have that school as their first choice because of the general perception of the school. Law school applicants who also want to work in other sectors are less inclined to attend UoT so basically what ends up happening is a sizeable proportion of the Pre-Law bay street crowd ends up going to UoT.

Now it's a big four? Wasn't it the big five a month ago? You knocked off poor Ottawa, didn't you?

Just now, chaboywb said:

Now it's a big four? Wasn't it the big five a month ago? You knocked off poor Ottawa, didn't you?

They take way too long to review applications. I will probably get over that eventually though.

25 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

I mean absolutely no offense by this, but aren't you going to Osgoode? How is it any different?

Haha seriously. I don't think it's even worth replying to someone who's 1 of 100+ harveyspecters on this site 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Inconspicuous said:

Haha seriously. I don't think it's even worth replying to someone who's 1 of 100+ harveyspecters on this site 

Someone coming to the U of T page and denying the reasons why it's the best law school in Canada and the reasons people would attend while planning on going to Osgoode is hilarious. 

If someone's a great student, it won't matter where they study since they'll have the ability and networking to work anywhere. However, for the general population of the class, it's completely a different story. Also, I don't know anyone who decided to reject U of T because they thought U of T was only good for Bay Steet and not other sectors. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, krnprykt said:

wow, your stats are high, were you a late applicant?

No I gave my LSAT in December.

Rejected! Like most here, it was to be expected.

cGPA: 3.76
B3: 3.91
LSAT (single write): 161

Best of luck to everyone and congrats to those who were accepted!

There doesn't seem to be too many people surprised.  Of course, those who were surprised are not likely not ready to write about it yet (and who can blame them?).  Obviously, I am in the ‘not surprised’ group...

• Mature Category, over 10 years professional experience (some law-related), decent essays (as we all think we have written)
  • Undergrad Degree GPA: Terrible; L2/B3: barely a shade better (15 years ago)
  • Undergrad Certificate GPA: 3.70ish (5 years ago)
  • LSAT: 168 (Dec 2017)

I argued the upward trend but, even if they bought it, I didn’t expect my ‘good’ stats to be enough to offset the ‘terrible’ stat. The best school in the country doesn't need to take a gamble on an upward trend, either, but you never know for sure unless you try.

The upshot is, there are plenty of other schools - some are a better "fit" for my personal situation (not that I can pretend I would have turned down UofT, given the opportunity).  And, I now have one of the most flowery rejection letters that I have ever read; it’s hanging on my desk at work.

• Like 1