Inconspicuous

Waitlisted at U of T 2018

Posted (edited)

Just got the waitlist email at 11:30AM EST. LSAT 164, cGPA 3.78, B3 3.87.

Only wrote the LSAT this February so law school was a pretty late decision and I was only eligible for this third round. I thought I had a fair essay but a bit on the weaker side of ECs (no law-related experiences). 

Edited by chopnomore

Waitlisted as well! 163/161 LSAT, 4.0 GPA (all years). My lsat scores have hurt me so badly this cycle! 

In the wait-list email, they stated that positions are NOT ranked. Does that mean they just choose randomly within the waitlist? 

So do we think its safe to assume that no acceptance thus far from U of T and no waitlist email today likely means a rejection email is to come?

13 minutes ago, chopnomore said:

In the wait-list email, they stated that positions are NOT ranked. Does that mean they just choose randomly within the waitlist? 

That's what I'm wondering. If it's not ranked, how do they go about selecting people from the waitlist? Pull names out of a hat?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Inconspicuous said:

That's what I'm wondering. If it's not ranked, how do they go about selecting people from the waitlist? Pull names out of a hat?

Yeah, seems pretty dumb and I've never really heard of an unranked wait-list system. Hopefully, they will re-review candidates once April 1st passes and give acceptances based on merit depending on the number of spots available rather than hopefully winning a lottery system. There's probably a sizeable difference between the upper ends of the wait-list and the lower ends depending on the number on the list.

24 minutes ago, Matureplus said:

So do we think its safe to assume that no acceptance thus far from U of T and no waitlist email today likely means a rejection email is to come?

I wouldn't think so, the blog post says it goes until March 26th.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What do you think they mean by "if a spot opens up we will contact the waitlist" ? 

Does the first person to respond get the spot??

Do we all participate in a massive duel for the acceptance???

Does a random person win admission by lottery?

U of T is usually so clear about things, this is weirdly ambiguous. 

Edited by baconandmegs

3 minutes ago, baconandmegs said:

What do you think they mean by "if a spot opens up we will contact the waitlist" ? 

U of T is usually so clear about things, this is unusually ambiguous. 

I would think it is a ranked waitlist. So they will contact people based on their rank

1 minute ago, liloandlaw said:

I would think it is a ranked waitlist. So they will contact people based on their rank

The email says "wait list positions are not ranked or disclosed". It also says something like this on their tumblr. 

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, chopnomore said:

Yeah, seems pretty dumb and I've never really heard of an unranked wait-list system. Hopefully, they will re-review candidates once April 1st passes and give acceptances based on merit depending on the number of spots available rather than hopefully winning a lottery system. There's probably a sizeable difference between the upper ends of the wait-list and the lower ends depending on the number on the list.

Please take this with a grain of salt because I have no inside information with the admissions process at all, but I'm almost certain that unranked waitlist =/= random lottery. Also to note that a considerable number of schools in the US do unranked waitlists (for undergrad/law/med).

Keep in mind that schools that "holistically" look at applicants admit them based on more than just numbers - they are trying to craft a class that have diverse backgrounds whom they believe will contribute to success in law school and in the profession (given that they meet a certain GPA/LSAT stats criteria). Since EC's, work experience, and personal statements are really hard to quantify, I think in that regard they don't rank the waitlisted people. UofT's AdComm is likely waiting to see who accepts their offers and then re-evaluate the entire pool of waitlisted applicants to see who matches the profiles they're looking for.

From previous years' threads, it seems like when a spot opens up, UofT calls or emails certain people on the waitlist to see if they're still interested and then does a re-evaluation of applications from there, sometimes even up to as late as a week before orientation in August.

Hoping for the best and good luck!

Edited by xdarkwhite
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, baconandmegs said:

U of T is usually so clear about things, this is weirdly ambiguous. 

Isn't there a trial by combat option in the email? Let's hope you've been sharpening those PUBG skills...

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Ya boy would like to through his hat in the ring. Waitlisted earlier today by email. Provisionally accepted Osgoode for now.

LSAT 164, 1 take in June 2017

B3 3.88 

Edited by booker
LSAT date, considering it is round 3 and its helpful to know