Sign in to follow this  
Luckycharm

Junior associate $20 an hour???

4 hours ago, providence said:

That’s what I’m saying - a position in a good criminal shop is more competitive than biglaw because more people are going after fewer spots and they are really picky about who they hire, so if you can get a good criminal law position you should be able to get a biglaw one.

I'm now chuckling at the idea of some Bay Street or Bust kid missing the 2L recruit and walking into Henein Hutchinson for an interview :twisted:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I'm now chuckling at the idea of some Bay Street or Bust kid missing the 2L recruit and walking into Henein Hutchinson for an interview :twisted:

I literally read the bios of their lawyers and went "well, crim certainly isn't for me". 

Edited by whoknows

1 hour ago, whoknows said:

I literally read the bios of their lawyers and went "well, crim certainly isn't for me". 

I, for one, can't believe they'd sully themselves by hiring a silver medalist. don't know how she can keep up with all those gold medalists and SCC clerks. 

• Like 1

The op told us where to find it.  Almost certainly the first requirement for the job is being able to find the job placement online.  

This sounds like a great job for a new call. Not to mention, if this guy pays $20/hr for each hour you actually work I’d probably double my current salary.

2 hours ago, neymarsr said:

Yo pdaddy what kinda scrilla you pulling in?

Some weeks probably 7.50/hr. I’m articling, I make 42,500 + 1k Xmas bonus + licensing fees.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, pdaddy said:

Some weeks probably 7.50/hr. I’m articling, I make 42,500 + 1k Xmas bonus + licensing fees.

This does not compute.  

1 hour ago, pdaddy said:

You would have to be working roughly 150 hours a week to be earning 7.50 an hour on that salary, adjusting for vacation time. So no. You're probably making a good wage.

That seems...low?  I'm not sure as I haven't even gone to law school yet and so have not looked at similar offerings.  But I make slightly over $20 an hour at my part-time job as an undergraduate student without a completed Bachelor's degree yet so...

4 hours ago, ellehcim said:

That seems...low?  I'm not sure as I haven't even gone to law school yet and so have not looked at similar offerings.  But I make slightly over $20 an hour at my part-time job as an undergraduate student without a completed Bachelor's degree yet so...

If you're considering law as a gateway to an absurdly high salary, you have three options. 1. Beat 85 percent of your class and get a bay street job and ride off into the sunset making a boatload of coin. That is, if you don't quit in the first 10 years. 2. Be a savvy business owner, set up your own shop, and grind your face off for many years and make a solid wage. Or 3. Give up the dream, and go into a field where the money is way easier to come by and the quality of life is way better. 

Edited by whoknows
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, whoknows said:

If you're considering law as a gateway to an absurdly high salary, you have three options. 1. Beat 85 percent of your class and get a bay street job and ride off into the sunset making a boatload of coin. That is, if you don't quit in the first 10 years. 2. Be a savvy business owner, set up your own shop, and grind your face off for many years and make a solid wage. Or 3. Give up the dream, and go into a field where the money is way easier to come by and the quality of life is way better. 

I by no means expect law school to guarantee a super high salary.  As you've said, it can happen, but not unless you work extremely hard and are willing to sacrifice.  Nevertheless, I thought it was low considering the amount of education, etc. being a junior associate entails.  I acknowledged, however, that I've never compared junior associate wages myself so am not sure what the "norm" in terms of wages go.

Look, this has been covered extensively already. But get over the idea that there is necessarily a relationship between the amount of education you have, and the time and money you've spent on it, and what you get paid in the future. If there was a guaranteed relationship there, every PhD in literature would be raking in the coin. So yes, you can make good money in law. But by no means - by NO means - is there any guarantee that every job in law makes good money. 

• Like 5

People also have to be realistic about some things. Like, my partner is in allied health and has 10 years work experience in his field. I am 3 years into mine (though only 1.5 in private). Despite the significant experience difference, our salaries are comparable. One key difference, however, is that he has almost maxed out his payscale while mine has no ceiling.

• Like 1

Also... not everyone, or even 1/2 of the class goes to Bay St. Maybe that is true for Osgoode or U of T (which is presumably what BlockedQuebecois was talking about) but there are other law schools in Ontario and nationally that have much lower placement rates. That's just the truth. I find it hard to believe that 70% of the Windsor law class places at "decent articling jobs that pay over 50k/year"..ZXD4. con lots of people article for free. So a junior position that pays $20/hour would probably be right up their ally. 

On 2018-03-16 at 1:13 PM, maximumbob said:

This does not compute.  

On 2018-03-16 at 1:25 PM, pzabbythesecond said:

You would have to be working roughly 150 hours a week to be earning 7.50 an hour on that salary, adjusting for vacation time. So no. You're probably making a good wage.

After taxes, I make 1306 / pay cheque. At 84 (12 hours per day at 7 days/week) hours/week thats about 7.77/hour.  I have worked more than one week at 14-16 hours per day. I don't even want to do the math to find out what that works out to.

Edited by pdaddy
  • Like 1

You can't calculate your hourly wage using your net pay but I agree you shouldn't think about pay in terms of hourly pay as an articling student.

• Like 1