HillaryC

Any lawyers looking for work in Ottawa?

On 3/13/2018 at 10:02 AM, utmguy said:

This is the future of the legal profession.  Isn't it grand?

On 3/13/2018 at 10:53 AM, Pyke said:

I feel for the people in those roles...

Are either of you actually familiar with the role/what it involves?

6 minutes ago, Double_Double said:

Are either of you actually familiar with the role/what it involves?

Based on the ad, which reads "[t]he work done by Blakes inSource typically includes document review work, due diligence, commercial contract review and legislative updates", I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the role involves doing document review, due diligence, commercial contract review, and legislative updates.

These roles are good for the firm, not so good for the person doing this role. However, it pays well per hour, and it's a good gap filler between jobs. That's about it. If you look at the top firms (by M&A deal volume), you will notice some of them this type of branch to service their main practice areas. 

My understanding of the whole inSource deal is that it's gruntwork outside of the partnership track. I've also heard that the firm is supportive of people finding a job after their time with the inSource dept.

So what do these rented mules* earn?

Is this a - we don't really think you are partner material but we are having trouble with the trained monkeys at the moment kind of thing - or is it more of an I would rather just go to work for 35hrs a week and not look like 90 y/o meth addict by 45 - kind of thing?

* by which I mean "eager experienced professionals"

Not sure why we necro'd a year old post...

That said, from talking to some people with experience in this type of position it can give you good experience provided your strategy is to use it as a stepping stone. Not overly interesting as a long term option (unless you're a freak who enjoys doc review).