Imanshar

Current 1L single JD, Ask me Anything.

I have been in position of many of you guys last couple of years so I know a lot of you have many questions. I am here to answer any questions you have. Fire away!

Posted (edited)

WOO! perfect timing, thank you for doing this!

1) What can you tell us about the city - both the campus and the surrounding area? you hear a lot of bad things about Windsor as a city on this forum, but from what I've seen (at least in the downtown core), it's actually pretty nice! What are your impressions of the city?

2) What does a typical day/typical week of classes look like in terms of scheduling?

Thanks again for doing this!

EDIT:

I've heard that Windsor students are in some cases able to get a $150,000 LOC from Scotiabank - any idea if this is true?

Edited by proflucas

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, proflucas said:

WOO! perfect timing, thank you for doing this!

1) What can you tell us about the city - both the campus and the surrounding area? you hear a lot of bad things about Windsor as a city on this forum, but from what I've seen (at least in the downtown core), it's actually pretty nice! What are your impressions of the city?

2) What does a typical day/typical week of classes look like in terms of scheduling?

Thanks again for doing this!

No problem, glad to help.

1) The campus is nice, it is located in a below average neighborhood and most houses around the area are very old. If you are used to better neighborhoods specially in big cities, you might not like it that much but the campus itself is nice. Windsor have some good areas including some parts of downtown and the riverside ( the view of bridge and Detroit skyline) that are actually alright to look at.

2) As single JD 1Ls this year, we are divided into 3 section. Our section classes are from Monday night to Friday Morning. We have one morning class and one afternoon classes on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Other section have a similar schedule with a little bit difference in time of some classes. It might change for next year however since they are making some changes to the classes.

Edited by Imanshar

20 minutes ago, proflucas said:

EDIT:

I've heard that Windsor students are in some cases able to get a $150,000 LOC from Scotiabank - any idea if this is true?

Yes, I know some people who did. I am not aware of details but if you need LOC, defentily follow up on it as it seems something you can possibly get.

On 2018-03-10 at 3:10 AM, Imanshar said:

I have been in position of many of you guys last couple of years so I know a lot of you have many questions. I am here to answer any questions you have. Fire away!

Hi thanks for posting this!

I have some questions to add:

1) What extra - curriculars would you say you or your friends enjoyed the most? Journals, moots, legal clinics etc.

2) What is the best way to get involved / learn about upcoming networking events and were there many throughout the year? - did you find these beneficial in terms of summer job opportunities?

3) Do most students dress business casual?

4) Do you have any general study or course advice for incoming 1Ls?

5) Is Windsor’s bus system reliable, especially in the winter ? (if you lived a 10-20 minute bus ride from campus)

17 minutes ago, mea2018 said:

Hi thanks for posting this!

I have some questions to add:

1) What extra - curriculars would you say you or your friends enjoyed the most? Journals, moots, legal clinics etc.

2) What is the best way to get involved / learn about upcoming networking events and were there many throughout the year? - did you find these beneficial in terms of summer job opportunities?

3) Do most students dress business casual?

4) Do you have any general study or course advice for incoming 1Ls?

5) Is Windsor’s bus system reliable, especially in the winter ? (if you lived a 10-20 minute bus ride from campus)

Figured while you're waiting for an answer, I can jump in and answer a question as a Windsor resident, even though I won't be starting law until August. 

Question 5: The Windsor bus system is I would say more reliable than other places. The busses usually run year-round, throughout all types of weather. The only times the busses usually don't run, are when the school is also closed. So in extreme cases basically!

@madmax7 Hey, do you have any insight on 3000 Sandwich St?? Looking into living there for next year but have read mixed things on here about that area. Going to be heading down in a week or 2 to see firsthand but just wanted some insight from someone who knows the city... online the units seem pretty okay but don't want to live in a sketchy area lol 

Just now, katt95 said:

@madmax7 Hey, do you have any insight on 3000 Sandwich St?? Looking into living there for next year but have read mixed things on here about that area. Going to be heading down in a week or 2 to see firsthand but just wanted some insight from someone who knows the city... online the units seem pretty okay but don't want to live in a sketchy area lol 

Hey, are you talking about that complex (might be a duplex not sure) that's right past the bridge? People over-exaggerate the un-safe environment of that side of the bridge. When people say they it's sketchy, they're always referring to like Indian road and Detroit street, which are only 'sketchy' because some houses are boarded up. The complex you're looking at is like a 10 minute walk from that area, and even that area isn't honestly that bad. My opinion is totally objective btw, I've been in Windsor for 22 years and I live in more of a 'suburb' on the opposite side of the city.

My advice is that when you go, if you feel like what you see at first sight is safe, then you'll be fine. What you see is exactly what you get, and it is the better part of that neighbourhood. 

6 minutes ago, madmax7 said:

Hey, are you talking about that complex (might be a duplex not sure) that's right past the bridge? People over-exaggerate the un-safe environment of that side of the bridge. When people say they it's sketchy, they're always referring to like Indian road and Detroit street, which are only 'sketchy' because some houses are boarded up. The complex you're looking at is like a 10 minute walk from that area, and even that area isn't honestly that bad. My opinion is totally objective btw, I've been in Windsor for 22 years and I live in more of a 'suburb' on the opposite side of the city.

My advice is that when you go, if you feel like what you see at first sight is safe, then you'll be fine. What you see is exactly what you get, and it is the better part of that neighbourhood. 

Yup, those Harbourview Condominiums, they seem nice in pics I'm hoping they are in person too lol. Thank you so much for the quick reply and advice, it's very helpful! :)

10 hours ago, katt95 said:

I have a couple friends in Harbourview - The units themselves are great, but there has been a ton of construction over the past year that has caused issues. A friend who stayed in Windsor for the summer isn't even able to shower at her own place, as the hot water has been turned off as a result of some construction related problem. There are plans to continue renos on the building for the next year or two, so these problems may continue. Just a heads up!