chezjackie

Opinions on part-time jobs in 3L

Wondering what is your opinion on managing/the benefits of a 3L part time job, and types of jobs you recommend during 3L

I don't see a reason not to if you can manage it. I'm currently in 2L and am working part time. Personally, I wouldn't know what to do with my free time if I didn't have a part time job. 

In terms of what jobs to look out for, I usually look for jobs available on campus/student-friendly jobs. I find those jobs are more understanding and flexible during exams or if you're busy a certain week with school. 

• Like 1

I think either a part time job or really throwing yourself into a hobby is a great idea.  I'm not a big hobby person so a job worked better for me but if you are...

• Like 1

Are there any law-related jobs that you can do in 3L or are we talking regular student jobs? Unless I'm mistaken the RA positions are only available in the summers.

Queens used to pay students to tutor 1Ls and 2Ls. That was awesome part time work. Unfortunately I think it is volunteer based now. 

47 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

Are there any law-related jobs that you can do in 3L or are we talking regular student jobs? Unless I'm mistaken the RA positions are only available in the summers.

Must depend on the school. I worked as an RA during the school year. 

19 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

Must depend on the school. I worked as an RA during the school year. 

Was this a posted job or something you worked out by speaking to a prof privately?

Working as an RA during the year was not unusual when I was in law school, but that was a while ago.

There were also paid positions for upper year students to act as mentors/tutors for other students. These were typically offered to students who had excellent grades.

I worked as an RA this past year (3L) and my grades from first semester are the highest I’ve ever had. 

I had a "research" fellowship (aka, course assistant) in my final year. A few people were TAs and RAs. Other people had on-campus positions in a variety of roles, and other people had classic students jobs (call centre, waiting tables/bartending, basic admin work, tutoring, etc.). 

Work is work. 

18 hours ago, harveyspecter993 said:

Was this a posted job or something you worked out by speaking to a prof privately?

Osgoode definitely has RA positions during the year. Many are/were posted on the job board (MyCareer).

i've seen part-time jobs for law-related work get shared on my school's job board and facebook groups, and know friends who have kept TA or admin positions throughout the school year. it's nice to have the extra income to help offset the high cost of living in the city, pay bills, and the flexibility of course selection in upper years would make scheduling easier too. i think the decision just comes down to how well you know yourself re: time management, handling deadlines, willingness to trade off other interests or commitments for extra income, etc.

Every semester of law school I did one or two part-time internships or volunteer positions. A part-time internship that I did in 2L turned into a part-time job in 3L. It did become really hectic maintaining those commitments during exams, but I managed and it ended up improving my job prospects. Just make sure that you keep your grades up unless you have already secured an articling position.