Sign in to follow this  
verycuriousaboutlaw

Questions for those who have been through UofT's application process

57 minutes ago, cheesecurd said:

I'm only stating fact - the entrance averages are considerably different at different schools. Every school has a high entrance average for specialized programs like business and engineering. But the average of the incoming class of the entire student body at Queen's/Western is approximately 90%. Not every program at every school is the same level of difficulty. That's why U of T considers it and uses stats to determine how successful you are likely to be if you come from a certain school/program. I'm not saying that ALL the smart kids go to western, but a lot of them do. That's simply true - look at their entrance averages. Idk how you guys are disputing this? 

Do you honestly think that an A at Nipissing is equivalent to an A at Western/Queen's? Based on what? 

They adjust for program, not school, and even then probably not very much.

I don’t mean to be harsh, but have you looked at their entrance averages recently? Here are UofT’s:

http://www.artsci.utoronto.ca/futurestudents/admissions/high-school-students/ontario

Based on these I would be surprised if Western/Queen’s had an entrance average of 90% out of high school for their entire student body. I think you need to check your facts. 

Edit: note that those are anticipated acceptance ranges, not minimum entry requirements.

Edited by ToLawAndLetLaw

1 hour ago, cheesecurd said:

I'm only stating fact - the entrance averages are considerably different at different schools. Every school has a high entrance average for specialized programs like business and engineering. But the average of the incoming class of the entire student body at Queen's/Western is approximately 90%. Not every program at every school is the same level of difficulty. That's why U of T considers it and uses stats to determine how successful you are likely to be if you come from a certain school/program. I'm not saying that ALL the smart kids go to western, but a lot of them do. That's simply true - look at their entrance averages. Idk how you guys are disputing this? 

Do you honestly think that an A at Nipissing is equivalent to an A at Western/Queen's? Based on what? 

http://welcome.uwo.ca/PDFs/ontario_admission_requirements.pdf 

Seems pretty on par with a ton of other schools.

Side note: weren't you the one complaining about having no offers anywhere except Western? Wouldn't you be thrilled about having an offer from the school where the smartest kids go?

I may be wrong about whether the incoming class average is 90% as a whole (which is why I said correct me if I'm wrong), I can't find averages of the entire incoming class anywhere right now. I have heard this in a few places and think I read it in a McLeans university guidebook when I was choosing a school for undergrad, but I don't have this info with me so I understand if you won't take my word for it. 

Regardless, the entrance averages do vary significantly from school to school! This is just factually correct information. 

https://admission.uoguelph.ca/canadian/cutoffs

high 70s to low 80s compared with  low-mid 80s for the same programs. Guelph is a pretty mid-tier school in terms of competitiveness though, the gaps are bigger at other places. This may not seem like a massive difference, but it's comparable to the difference between a 3.6 and a 3.8, which is a relevant enough difference for law school admissions. If you are graded on a similar curve at every school, you'll have a better GPA at the one with less competitive peers. 

1 hour ago, Nabbo said:

Side note: weren't you the one complaining about having no offers anywhere except Western? Wouldn't you be thrilled about having an offer from the school where the smartest kids go?

Ah yes, the classic, illogical **personal attack**!! :0

This is absolutely irrelevant. Firstly, because I'm talking about the caliber of students in undergrad, not law school. Secondly, if you read my posts at all you would know that I'd like to stay in Toronto for personal reasons and my lack of excitement about my offer from western has nothing to do with the quality of the school. 

As much as we all love seeing 0Ls having pointless arguments that have nothing to do with the original post, let's get this discussion back on track. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 2018-03-04 at 8:30 AM, pzabbythesecond said:

Nothing against western and queens, or any uni for that matter (unlike clearly you), but since when are Western and Queens a "draw for smart highschool students"? I thought it was a draw for people looking to get white girl wasted on daddy's dime? (I'm using the phrase to refer to both sexes here, and I'm being glib; I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST QUEENS OR WESTERN)

Lol, calm down, I didn’t go to any of those schools for undergrad, I was just answering the OP’s question. 

1. Others have answered this. 

2. You apply in November 2020 for the fall of 2021. If you are not done school by the time you apply you must update OLSAS with transcripts. 

3. This is how I studied

4. This is impossible to answer. I am going to guess that any impact is negligible. 

5. You can see the class profiles under the Accepted UofT posts on this forum. From what I gathered the average admit was around 164/165 and a 3.6/3.7.

6. Seems competitive, but it varies each year. I think that would be a decent pair of stats for this year. 

7. Getting into law school in Canada is not that hard , relatively speaking.

Look at it this way: to get into the top school in Canada you should have around a 165 and an A- GPA. The top American schools would not consider you for a second if you showed them a 165. The hardest part about getting into law school is not mucking up your first year at university. If you can salvage a cGPA or B3 around 3.7  then I think you're fine. Study your ass off for the LSAT and you'll be fine.  

• Thanks 1