Sign in to follow this  
Abii

Concern Re. Braces During Law School

1 hour ago, utmguy said:

Here's my practical advice.

1:  Get a second opinion.  I have an underbite and crossbite, and was advised by a prior dentist that I should get it fixed.  However, the surgeon who took out my wisdom teeth and current dentist both adamantly say there's no point unless I'm having functional issues.  

2:  Other reasons to delay braces might be the availability of collateral benefits through a future employer.  Braces can cost thousands of dollars, and if funds are an issue for you, it may make more sense to wait.  

Yeah I'm definitely going to see a couple of dentists before I decide. Another issue I have is not being in one city for the next while. I'm told that the orthodontist has to have a look every 1.5 months or so. I'll probably wait till I get settled in one city in Sept. 

Re. Cost, I screwed up big time. I used to be in a really good union and they covered quite a bit. Never took advantage of any of it. 

6 minutes ago, barelylegal said:

Re: the bolded - my law firm's insurance policy only covers orthodontics for minors/dependents. This probably varies by firm, but to OP, don't necessarily rely on being able to get insurance help later.

There are other reasons you might want to delay, though. I found out about my own dental issue during law school, but knew that it would be a years-long process to address. Law school was stressful, things were hectic, life already felt on the verge of overwhelming, and I didn't want to pile some other big thing on top of it. So I waited to begin the process until I finished articling and had some degree of stability in my job. It worked out well for me to wait.

Good points. Thanks. Although life is always stressful at every stage, but I see your point. Once school is done you have stability at least. 

Well, I'll just add my experience here. I got my braces during Law School and it was fine. They were of the very regular kind; visible but not anything extra. Weren't too time-consuming etc. Didn't affect my speech that much but it did a little bit and, it does not matter AT ALL. Don't worry it'll be fine.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Abii said:

[...]

Good points. Thanks. Although life is always stressful at every stage, but I see your point. Once school is done you have stability at least. 

Yes, life is always stressful - but for me, it was a different kind of stress. I didn't want to take any chance that dental stuff could get in the way of getting a summer position, getting an articling position, getting hired on at a firm. At the time, I didn't know if I'd have to do regular braces or Invisalign, and I didn't want any risk of not being taken seriously or anything as a result of braces. By waiting, I was able to deal with it after I had secured a job, and after I had worked long enough and proven myself enough that there was no longer any issue of not being taken seriously.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2018 at 5:57 PM, Hegdis said:

You can get damn near invisible braces these days. Clear everything. I work with a person who has braces and I did not notice for ages.

It is NOT the gleaming display of silverware you are imagining. Nor is it a headbrace. You will get used to them very quickly (except for flossing, which will suck every single day you have them).

You’re going to be so glad you did this. I know a number of colleagues in their thirties and forties who deeply regret neglecting their dental care. Good for you for taking action now. 

I mean I'm still in my 30s, but I'm pretty sure I'll just voluntarily add myself to this group.

Get the pretty coloured ones that you can change for the holidays--orange and black for Halloween, green and red for Christmas... you know the drill. 

Kidding, but +1 for Invisalign. I have had both metal braces and Invisalign (twice) because I'm dumb and didn't properly take care of my teeth after I had braces the first time. I was quite young when I had the traditional braces but I have to say I definitely prefer Invisalign. Being able to remove them if necessary helps, I find them less painful, and people don't notice them at all. Then again, I'm sure other people care way less about your braces than you do, it's just one of those things that you'll always focus on for yourself but probably wouldn't even notice on someone else.