Sign in to follow this  
GoatMilk45

Chances of Lschool ?

It doesn't sound like "burn out" to me. In my words, burn out is when you apply yourself to a task or tasks with extreme effort and this leads to a detrimental mental exhaustion that, often coupled with anxiety from the pressure to succeed, causes you to do worse at the task or end up avoiding it all together for fear of failure.

This sounds more like you just didn't care about your education. Now if Law School is what you're really passionate about and you have no care in the world for your major in undergrad as it is just a stepping stone to law, I can see how you may just not stay focused, procrastinate, and make other mistakes.

If that is the case, then 1) your disinterest in your program is significantly harming your chances to get into Law and 2) since getting into Law is not a given, your program is not a stepping stone. So my advice is you should either take your current program seriously from now on as it may be what your career will revolve around or switch to a major/program you actually find interesting and will lead to a field you would be wanting to work in if you don't get in to Law.

If you do this and put effort into your education then this will lead to a better chance of getting into Law.

Also I disagree that ECs are a waste of time. They will help you get entrance into more holistic schools and it will help you get inroads into attaining a career should you not get into Law. Lastly, it's just good experience all around. 

So TL:DR, my advice is become more passionate and interested in your undergraduate education.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

So to be clear, you hardly studied, hardly showed up to class, and did pretty poorly? Then you burned out and nearly failed because you were tired of never studying and never attending class? And now you're confident you can get a middling 3.5 if, after all that, you finally start applying yourself? 

You'll excuse me if I'm skeptical. 

Go apply yourself, study hard, and pull your shit together. If you do that, come back and inquire about your chances. You'll get honest answers that are actually helpful. Until then, you're just wasting everyone's time — including your own. 

Fair. Just seeing if it's even worth the effort to try for Law School. I could stick to my undergrad (Finance, go CFA route etc.)

Also, probably should of clarified, the 2.1 is for this semester only, my 2 years before GPA is 3.3

3 hours ago, ImposterSyndrome said:

It doesn't sound like "burn out" to me. In my words, burn out is when you apply yourself to a task or tasks with extreme effort and this leads to a detrimental mental exhaustion that, often coupled with anxiety from the pressure to succeed, causes you to do worse at the task or end up avoiding it all together for fear of failure.

This sounds more like you just didn't care about your education. Now if Law School is what you're really passionate about and you have no care in the world for your major in undergrad as it is just a stepping stone to law, I can see how you may just not stay focused, procrastinate, and make other mistakes.

If that is the case, then 1) your disinterest in your program is significantly harming your chances to get into Law and 2) since getting into Law is not a given, your program is not a stepping stone. So my advice is you should either take your current program seriously from now on as it may be what your career will revolve around or switch to a major/program you actually find interesting and will lead to a field you would be wanting to work in if you don't get in to Law.

If you do this and put effort into your education then this will lead to a better chance of getting into Law.

Also I disagree that ECs are a waste of time. They will help you get entrance into more holistic schools and it will help you get inroads into attaining a career should you not get into Law. Lastly, it's just good experience all around. 

So TL:DR, my advice is become more passionate and interested in your undergraduate education.

Thanks appreciate the advice !

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Toad said:

Edit:

With the new info you're in a better situation than it initially sounded. I have come back from a situation significantly worse than yours and got accepted to my first choice school early in the cycle.

You want to aim higher than 3.5 for the remainder of your studies. If you only get a 3.5 for the rest of your studies you would for most schools require an LSAT score in the high 160s. Which most people simply aren't capable of achieving.

Getting into law school is mostly GPA and LSAT. Nothing you do is going to have a major impact relative to your GPA and LSAT performance. Make sure you're close enough with a couple professors to get good LORs if your target schools require them and maybe participate in a meaningful EC if you're interested in it and it won't effect your studies. But at the end of the day your GPA and LSAT score should be your main priority.

Thanks. Yeah, i didn't word my original post very well at all. Thats my bad. Its basically 1 bad semester (2.1) 4 average semesters  (3.3) and this semester which, i hope to pick my GPA back up.