Sign in to follow this  
GoatMilk45

Chances of Lschool ?

I'll be blunt. My grades are terrible. I have a terrible GPA (2.1). I am in my third year of undergrad (3 semesters left). 

My questions are

1.what are the odds i get into law school if i do manage to turn it around say (3.5 + GPA) 

2. Obviously, my GPA is going to hurt me in applications, so what are some other things (Besides getting a high LSAT) that i can do to help my chances.

Thanks.

Edited by GoatMilk45
Fixing errors

I appreciate your bluntness and will return the favour. You have basically no shot anywhere in Canada. You will probably need at least a 3.9 this semester and a 3.9 next year, coupled with a 170+ LSAT. Even then, you are a long shot. 

Edited by Nabbo
  • Like 2

Are there any extenuating circumstaces that caused your grades to suffer? If so, you can try to apply under access categories.

In addition, what are you third year marks like? What do you predict your sessional GPA to be? If it's good, and you do well in your fourth year, you can apply for L2 schools like Queens. If it's bad, you can take a fifth year and if you do well in your last two years , it can also help you be competitive for L2 schools.

However, both of these routes are contingent on you having an LSAT that is 165+.

**Note: You should be very careful banking on schools that look at L2 because you never know when they might decide to change their admissions criteria. Queens just started looking at L2 exclusively this year, but this may not be the case when you decide to apply**

Edited by david2234
  • Like 1

I agree with David 2234s advice 

You will not have a chance at any cgpa schools, almost all of the schools.in Canada

BUT you mite be able to pull it out of the bag if you focus on last 2 year focused schools and do well on your last 2, if you extend your undergrad into a 5th year then you would be working with a clean slate, but u shud contact the last 2 school because even then sometimes they look at cgpa, but you mite have a chance and i would call.the last 2 schools.and do some research to see if you could escape your cgpa

Maybe write the lsat in the summer between this year and your fourth and see how it goes, a very strong score would prob be needed but if you have a strong performance this summer you could maybe do that fifth year and shoot.for it

Edited by Timmies123
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nabbo said:

I appreciate your bluntness and will return the favour. You have basically no shot anywhere in Canada. You will probably need at least a 3.9 this semester and a 3.9 next year, coupled with a 170+ LSAT. Even then, you are a long shot. 

Did you just pull this straight out of your ass or what? 

1 hour ago, GoatMilk45 said:

I'll be blunt. My grades are terrible. I have a terrible GPA (2.1). I am in my third year of undergrad (3 semesters left). 

My questions are

1.what are the odds i get into law school if i do manage to turn it around say (3.5 + GPA)

Assuming all of your semesters up until now have hovered around a 2.1 (i.e. there isn't some outlier semester in first year bringing it down) that'll leave you with approximately a 2.63 cGPA and 3.15 L2. Neither of these are competitive for any school. Your best chance would be to do even better than a 3.5 (ie. a 3.8+) for your remaining terms and bring your L2 up to above a 3.3 or so. This is much easier said than done, of course, and I'm wondering why you think it's a given that you can turn it around to such a degree. Did you have an extenuating circumstance that has now been dealt with? This can be addressed by applying access.

2 hours ago, GoatMilk45 said:

2. Obviously, my GPA is going to hurt me in applications, so what are some other things (Besides getting a high LSAT) that i can do to help my chances.

Apply access or get a 180. Don't expect ECs to help at all as their contribution is minimal.

42 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

Assuming all of your semesters up until now have hovered around a 2.1 (i.e. there isn't some outlier semester in first year bringing it down) that'll leave you with approximately a 2.63 cGPA and 3.15 L2. Neither of these are competitive for any school. Your best chance would be to do even better than a 3.5 (ie. a 3.8+) for your remaining terms and bring your L2 up to above a 3.3 or so. This is much easier said than done, of course, and I'm wondering why you think it's a given that you can turn it around to such a degree. Did you have an extenuating circumstance that has now been dealt with? This can be addressed by applying access.

Apply access or get a 180. Don't expect ECs to help at all as their contribution is minimal.

Thanks for the comments. Re-reading my post I left alot of info out and it’s quite confusing. I should have stated my GPA for first 2 years is 3.3 and my GPA is 2.1 this year (Last semester) (Due to burnout). This semester isn’t over yet, and i hope to build my GPA up to an acceptable level. Poorly written on my part i should be more clear. 

1 minute ago, GoatMilk45 said:

Thanks for the comments. Re-reading my post I left alot of info out and it’s quite confusing. I should have stated my GPA for first 2 years is 3.3 and my GPA is 2.1 this year (Last semester) (Due to burnout). This semester isn’t over yet, and i hope to build my GPA up to an acceptable level. Poorly written on my part i should be more clear. 

Then your scenario is far different. Obviously burnout isn't an access claim, but if you can turn it around and excel for the next few semesters you could definitely come out with a respectable cGPA. Focus hard on doing so (don't even think about the LSAT during the school year) and I'm sure you'll be fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harveyspecter993 said:

In the spirit of bluntness, If you have a 2.1 in your third year then what makes you think you could succeed in law school? 

Truefully, in spirit of “Bluntness” i didn’t apply myself because I lost interst in my undergrad. Law has always been something i was passionate about about, and applied myself in. Truefully, i might not make it in law school, but i believe if i apply myself i would be able to handle it.  

Edit:

With the new info you're in a better situation than it initially sounded. I have come back from a situation significantly worse than yours and got accepted to my first choice school early in the cycle.

You want to aim higher than 3.5 for the remainder of your studies. If you only get a 3.5 for the rest of your studies you would for most schools require an LSAT score in the high 160s. Which most people simply aren't capable of achieving.

Getting into law school is mostly GPA and LSAT. Nothing you do is going to have a major impact relative to your GPA and LSAT performance. Make sure you're close enough with a couple professors to get good LORs if your target schools require them and maybe participate in a meaningful EC if you're interested in it and it won't effect your studies. But at the end of the day your GPA and LSAT score should be your main priority.

Edited by Toad
  • Like 1

Just now, chaboywb said:

Then your scenario is far different. Obviously burnout isn't an access claim, but if you can turn it around and excel for the next few semesters you could definitely come out with a respectable cGPA. Focus hard on doing so (don't even think about the LSAT during the school year) and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thanks ! Appreciate the response. I will defiantly have to work hard but i think i am up for the challenge. 

1 hour ago, JDhopeful2020 said:

Did you just pull this straight out of your ass or what? 

Not really. With a 2.1 after 5 semesters, even with a 4.0 this semester and all of 4th year, OP will have a 2.81 GPA. Basic math. And even with a 2.81 and a 170+, you're fighting an uphill battle. Get a grip. 

Now I do see that OP has clarified, but my reply was in response to a 2.1 cGPA

• Like 4

Do you have a good reason to beleive that you can successfully jump from a 2.1 to a 3.5+? If so, you could take a 5th year and apply to L2 schools.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

Thanks appreciate you taking the time to comment ! apologize for my poor wording, next time I post i'll make sure to add the relevant details! 

10 minutes ago, jplawx said:

Do you have a good reason to beleive that you can successfully jump from a 2.1 to a 3.5+? If so, you could take a 5th year and apply to L2 schools.

My first 2 years GPA was a 3.3. I hardly studied and my attendance was at 40-50% per lecture. So with proper attendance, studying and applying myself, i fee 3.5 isn't out of the question despite the course load getting harder (3-4 year courses). 

18 minutes ago, Nabbo said:

Not really. With a 2.1 after 5 semesters, even with a 4.0 this semester and all of 4th year, OP will have a 2.81 GPA. Basic math. And even with a 2.81 and a 170+, you're fighting an uphill battle. Get a grip. 

My bad, should of clarified. I wasted alot of peoples time with my poor formatting and leaving out crutial details lol. Apologies. 

1 hour ago, Nabbo said:

If your response was to a 2.1 cGPA then that's fair. 

So to be clear, you hardly studied, hardly showed up to class, and did pretty poorly? Then you burned out and nearly failed because you were tired of never studying and never attending class? And now you're confident you can get a middling 3.5 if, after all that, you finally start applying yourself? 

You'll excuse me if I'm skeptical. 

Go apply yourself, study hard, and pull your shit together. If you do that, come back and inquire about your chances. You'll get honest answers that are actually helpful. Until then, you're just wasting everyone's time — including your own. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 5

What did you burn out from if you weren’t studying in the first place? 

I don’t think your only issue is figuring out if you can get a decent enough GPA and LSAT to get in somewhere. Your bigger issue is going to be whether you’ve developed the habits and discipline you need to succeed in law school or as a lawyer. 

While you were phoning it in and getting 3.3, there were people who didn’t need to work much and could get way above that, and people who were working their butts off and doing well. They’re your competition. 

• Like 4