Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
lindsay12

York University or University of Toronto (undergrad decision)

Recommended Posts

On 5/21/2018 at 9:25 PM, lindsay12 said:

I ended up picking UTSG! Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Having graduated from UTSG, my advice to you is to work extra hard. The average grade at UTSG is 67% and to get into law school, you'll need 80% or higher. For first & second year courses, profs are told they can only allow 5% of the class to get a grade of A minus or higher (yes, I saw the memo with my own eyes).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JohnP said:

Having graduated from UTSG, my advice to you is to work extra hard. The average grade at UTSG is 67% and to get into law school, you'll need 80% or higher. For first & second year courses, profs are told they can only allow 5% of the class to get a grade of A minus or higher (yes, I saw the memo with my own eyes).

That’s about the grade distribution at UBC. I think “work hard” is good advice. I think “work hard because you’re at UTSG” is kinda silly. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

That’s about the grade distribution at UBC. I think “work hard” is good advice. I think “work hard because you’re at UTSG” is kinda silly. 

I think the comment is germane as it is. If it is harder to get high grades at UTSG, it makes sense to work hard, and I realise that "work hard" is relative. The drop in grades from high school to UTSG is quite drastic and it catches many students off-guard.

Edited by JohnP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JohnP said:

I think the comment is germane as it is. If it is harder to get high grades at UTSG, it makes sense to work hard, and I realise that "work hard" is relative. The drop in grades from high school to UTSG is quite drastic and it catches many students off-guard.

The drop in grade from high school to any university is quite drastic, and it catches many students off-guard. That’s my point — work hard because it’s university is good advice, work hard because it’s UTSG (and thus, implicitly, don’t work as hard elsewhere) isn’t. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

The drop in grade from high school to any university is quite drastic, and it catches many students off-guard. That’s my point — work hard because it’s university is good advice, work hard because it’s UTSG (and thus, implicitly, don’t work as hard elsewhere) isn’t. 

I do think though that there are varying levels of challenge at different institutions. My first year of undergrad was at what is known as a "super elite" college in the US, and I found the transition from high school to that college much tougher academically than undergrad to law school - law school was actually probably a bit less work overall than undergrad for me. I obviously can't directly compare it to other undergrads, but when I talked to people going to undergrads that have an "easy" reputation, the work I was doing was obviously much more challenging than what they were doing. As well, I was in class with people who had the very top SAT scores in the country - lots of National Merit finalists, kids who had already invented things, published, etc in high school, kids who went to the most elite boarding schools, prep schools, camp etc. and a lot of them wanted to go to top medical schools or do graduate studies in prestigious programs. So it was VERY competitive to get good grades. Everyone should work hard in undergrad and try to do their best, of course they should, but in some schools and programs, you will have to work harder than in others. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, providence said:

I do think though that there are varying levels of challenge at different institutions. My first year of undergrad was at what is known as a "super elite" college in the US, and I found the transition from high school to that college much tougher academically than undergrad to law school - law school was actually probably a bit less work overall than undergrad for me. I obviously can't directly compare it to other undergrads, but when I talked to people going to undergrads that have an "easy" reputation, the work I was doing was obviously much more challenging than what they were doing. As well, I was in class with people who had the very top SAT scores in the country - lots of National Merit finalists, kids who had already invented things, published, etc in high school, kids who went to the most elite boarding schools, prep schools, camp etc. and a lot of them wanted to go to top medical schools or do graduate studies in prestigious programs. So it was VERY competitive to get good grades. Everyone should work hard in undergrad and try to do their best, of course they should, but in some schools and programs, you will have to work harder than in others. 

Sure, it would be silly to suggest that all schools are equal. But it’s equally silly to suggest you can determine which school is easier without any data. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Sure, it would be silly to suggest that all schools are equal. But it’s equally silly to suggest you can determine which school is easier without any data. 

Well, their admissions standards can give you a clue. I know it’s a little tougher to gauge that in Canada because there are no SAT scores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, providence said:

Well, their admissions standards can give you a clue. I know it’s a little tougher to gauge that in Canada because there are no SAT scores.

If we accept that to be true in the Canadian context, U of T is the 13th hardest school. 

I’m all for accepting that to be true, though, because it would seriously annoy U of T grads to hear that their under grad was way easier than a Manitoba grad’s. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

If we accept that to be true in the Canadian context, U of T is the 13th hardest school. 

I’m all for accepting that to be true, though, because it would seriously annoy U of T grads to hear that their under grad was way easier than a Manitoba grad’s. 

Yeah, I don’t know anything specifically about U of T or what their undergrad admissions criteria or curricula are or what they are in the other Canadian schools so I have no opinion on that particular school. I am just saying that it’s not a crazy idea that you might have to work harder to do well at some schools than others, whether or not U of T is one of those schools. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

If we accept that to be true in the Canadian context, U of T is the 13th hardest school. 

I’m all for accepting that to be true, though, because it would seriously annoy U of T grads to hear that their under grad was way easier than a Manitoba grad’s. 

Lol, yeah U. Manitoba is known for its challenging undergrad programs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, JohnP said:

Lol, yeah U. Manitoba is known for its challenging undergrad programs.

It’s much harder to get into than U of T, so, in the absence of other data, I have to assume it is! Don’t worry, your undergrad was still harder than a degree from Cape Breton! 

@pzabbythesecond is going to love how much harder McGill is compared to U of T, too! 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, providence said:

Yeah, I don’t know anything specifically about U of T or what their undergrad admissions criteria or curricula are or what they are in the other Canadian schools so I have no opinion on that particular school. I am just saying that it’s not a crazy idea that you might have to work harder to do well at some schools than others, whether or not U of T is one of those schools. 

Yeah, like I said, I agree with the sentiment. I just think it’s silly to say which schools are harder without any evidence to support it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think another marker is the acceptance rates - some top US schools only accept 8 or 9 or 10% of all applicants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But some of the schools that may seem "harder" because they are letting in stronger applicants have sometimes also been those with the worst reputations for grade inflation, so in some cases, it may all balance out.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say that my impression is that my university is the hardest to get a good GPA in all of Canada.

Since it's the only university I've ever been to, I'd also say it's the easiest university to get a good GPA in.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2018 at 5:35 PM, BlockedQuebecois said:

Yeah, like I said, I agree with the sentiment. I just think it’s silly to say which schools are harder without any evidence to support it. 

Lol, yeah there is no data at all.  UofT ranked 22nd internationally; Manitoba ranked somewhere between 400-500. UofT has one of the top 5 hardest programs to gain entry to (engineering science); Manitoba didn't make the list. UofT average admission average: low to mid 80's for most programs.; Manitoba: low 70's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JohnP said:

Lol, yeah there is no data at all.  UofT ranked 22nd internationally; Manitoba ranked somewhere between 400-500. UofT has one of the top 5 hardest programs to gain entry to (engineering science); Manitoba didn't make the list. UofT average admission average: low to mid 80's for most programs.; Manitoba: low 70's.

Hey, all I'm saying is that it's harder to get into Manitoba via direct entry than it is to get into U of T. They just have much stricter grades requirements than U of T. That's an objectively true fact. I'm sorry that it's apparently so upsetting to you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2018 at 5:06 PM, JohnP said:

Lol, yeah there is no data at all.  UofT ranked 22nd internationally; Manitoba ranked somewhere between 400-500. UofT has one of the top 5 hardest programs to gain entry to (engineering science); Manitoba didn't make the list. UofT average admission average: low to mid 80's for most programs.; Manitoba: low 70's.

what does the fact that they have a difficult program for entry have to do with the discussion? I've repeatedly (and others) made exceptions for programs like engineering sciences, etc - at u of t and other schools. But I'm sorry, your BA from U of T doesn't impress me more than a BA from another school, because of its physical proximity to an internationally difficult program, and similarity in namesake

Come on now.

Edited by pzabbythesecond
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...