Sign in to follow this  
ultraradnyus

[2.8 / no LSAT] Non-Competitivie applicant

So I'm gonna be finishing my 4th year of my undergrad this semester and finishing a few credits over the summer to get my degree. My CGPA is not competitive at all at 2.8 but my major GPA is sitting around 3.5. Do I have any chance at getting accepted anywhere if i get a stellar LSAT? Or is it not even worth applying at this point?

5 minutes ago, ultraradnyus said:

So I'm gonna be finishing my 4th year of my undergrad this semester and finishing a few credits over the summer to get my degree. My CGPA is not competitive at all at 2.8 but my major GPA is sitting around 3.5. Do I have any chance at getting accepted anywhere if i get a stellar LSAT? Or is it not even worth applying at this point?

You'd need around a 170 to have a chance with a 2.8 

• Like 1

If your last 2 years or best 2 years are sitting at 3.5, you may have a chance if you apply to schools in Canada that look at your L2 or B2 And you have a high LSAT score. Have you taken the LSAT already? It's hard to say what chance you have without an Lsat score. 

I also have a really low CGPA of 2.8 but managed to get an early offer to Calgary who looks at your last 2 years and are more holistic in their admission process. I also did lots of EC's to make up for the low gpa. 

I haven't done my LSAT yet, I'm pretty confident that I can bring my cGPA up to at least a 3.0. I have some ECs but I plan on doing a lot of volunteering and work experience before I apply. 

14 minutes ago, ultraradnyus said:

I haven't done my LSAT yet, I'm pretty confident that I can bring my cGPA up to at least a 3.0. I have some ECs but I plan on doing a lot of volunteering and work experience before I apply. 

Even with a 3.0 you won't be competitive for cGPA schools unless you're applying as access or mature. If you do good on your lsats and have a decent L2 (~3.7), then you can be competitive for the L2/B2 schools

6 minutes ago, david2234 said:

Even with a 3.0 you won't be competitive for cGPA schools unless you're applying as access or mature. If you do good on your lsats and have a decent L2 (~3.7), then you can be competitive for the L2/B2 schools

In that case I'll probably take an extra semester or two to make increase my grades and show improvement. Thanks for the reply.

• Like 2

You could also look at schools that drop your lowest credits regardless of which year they're from  (UNB, Manitoba, Victoria and UBC) 

Manitoba's conversion and drops took me from a 3.0 to about 3.5.

7 minutes ago, ultraradnyus said:

In that case I'll probably take an extra semester or two to make increase my grades and show improvement. Thanks for the reply.

You should also research the schools and see how they account for your L2/B2 though, you don't want to take just one semester and not have it count if the school looks for full course load during an entire winter+spring school year

Edited by david2234

1 minute ago, david2234 said:

You should also research the schools and see how they account for your L2/B2 though, you don't want to take just one semester and not have it count if the school looks for full course load during an entire winter+spring school year

My top choice right now is Dal, I know they take your overall GPA OR your L2 (last 10 credits) My last year of study credits are all As and Bs. If I manage to get good grades this semester and take an extra semester with a full course load It would make my L2 around a 3.6-3.7 if I can get mostly As.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ultraradnyus said:

My top choice right now is Dal, I know they take your overall GPA OR your L2 (last 10 credits) My last year of study credits are all As and Bs. If I manage to get good grades this semester and take an extra semester with a full course load It would make my L2 around a 3.6-3.7 if I can get mostly As.

That sounds like a good idea. Also, don't underestimate the LSAT. It is very, very difficult.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ultraradnyus said:

Take an LSAT diagnostic and you'll have a much better idea of where you stand in terms of being competitive.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Prospero said:

That sounds like a good idea. Also, don't underestimate the LSAT. It is very, very difficult.

Yeah, strongly agree with this. I was crushin it at school with my grades and got super cocky, thinking the LSAT will be like any other exam I took. By the time I experienced my "oh shit" moment, it was too late for me to apply in time for law schools. Plan ahead and understand the difficulty of the LSAT so you can manage your time effectively and be fully prepared for when you want to apply.

Also, I wouldn't say that a diagnostic score is indicative of how competitive you'll be. For some, the LSAT may come naturally and they'll perform well quickly. For a lot of people, though, the LSAT requires a lot of practice and hard work. So, even if your diagnostic score is low (as I predict it will be), don't let this discourage you. This is not to say you'll definitely score a 170 if you work as hard as possible (lots of people just can't get there), but you'll definitely experience improvement in score over the time that you practice. So yeah, take the diagnostic score with a grain of salt on how competitive you can be over the long term. On the other hand, it'll surely show you how much work you have to do to improve. The lower your score, likely the more work you'll have to put into it.

Edited by AllBlackEverything
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AllBlackEverything said:

Yeah, strongly agree with this. I was crushin it at school with my grades and got super cocky, thinking the LSAT will be like any other exam I took. By the time I experienced my "oh shit" moment

Agreed, I had a very similar experience with the exception of being in cycle. The first time I wrote the test I was TKO'd via time management in the first round. 

Edited by SlickRick
  • Haha 1