Sign in to follow this  
CeliaVaryla

Commute (from Vaughn) or Chambers?

So I know there has been a lot of talk about  the pros and cons of both commuting and living in chambers. I’m still unsure of what I should do and would appreciate any advice from those who have commuted or are commuting to osgoode from vaughn/brampton/woodbridge. How long, on average does it take you to get to school and find parking? Google maps says my trip should be around 25 minutes. What’s the drive like when the weather is really bad? Why did you choose not to live in chambers? Are you considering switching from commuting to living in chambers? Or have you considered this? Should I just live in chambers as it would save a lot of time? I just don’t want to waste a lot of time commuting.

This is a strange post. Given the fact that tuition alone is 27k, you really have all that extra money to spend on residence? A 30 minute commute isn't bad at all. There are people commuting an hour, or even over an hour, to Osgoode. 

11 hours ago, CeliaVaryla said:

So I know there has been a lot of talk about  the pros and cons of both commuting and living in chambers. I’m still unsure of what I should do and would appreciate any advice from those who have commuted or are commuting to osgoode from vaughn/brampton/woodbridge. How long, on average does it take you to get to school and find parking? Google maps says my trip should be around 25 minutes. What’s the drive like when the weather is really bad? Why did you choose not to live in chambers? Are you considering switching from commuting to living in chambers? Or have you considered this? Should I just live in chambers as it would save a lot of time? I just don’t want to waste a lot of time commuting.

If you are commuting from Vaughan, I don't see why it is necessary to live in chambers. There is a subway line that goes all the way to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre and it's pretty easy to get to Osgoode from there. Now, I'm not sure where in Vaughan you are commuting from, but given that you could take the VIVA bus, I would suggest saving your money and just commute (unless, for course, you feel like buying a monthly parking pass and drive there). 

I'm finishing my undergrad at york as a commuter from Thornhill (which is part of Vaughan) honestly it's not a big deal. It takes me maybe 45 minutes by bus to get to campus, depending on the time of day (could be an hour with traffic), if you had a car it will go even faster. I would probably get a few roommates and just rent in Vaughan, as others have pointed out it will be much cheaper. If you want more info about the area feel free to inbox me :) 

On 2018-02-09 at 8:38 PM, Simbaa said:

This is a strange post. Given the fact that tuition alone is 27k, you really have all that extra money to spend on residence? A 30 minute commute isn't bad at all. There are people commuting an hour, or even over an hour, to Osgoode. 

I don’t think it’s too strange. I could have commuted 40 mins which isn’t bad, I realize, but I wanted to live on campus because I knew that would be more productive for me. Also made some great friends at Passy. I totally understand the money argument, but how I looked at it (righty or wrongly) was that I’m already graduating with a ton of debt so what’s another 8 grand if it helps with school?

I'd highly recommend it. I commuted during my undergrad and then decided to switch for law school. You're going to have a fair amount of long nights and it's helpful to roll out of bed and get to class within 15 minutes if needed. 

It's also a fantastic way to make friends/still have a social life. I haven't regretted it. 

On 2018-02-09 at 8:38 PM, Simbaa said:

This is a strange comment. Attending Oz and staying in rez are mutually exclusive? Really? 

10 hours ago, Nabbo said:

This is a strange comment. Attending Oz and staying in rez are mutually exclusive? Really? 

Celia says that her commute to Osgoode would only be 25 minutes. I don't see why you would live in residence if that were the case. Then again, I'm thinking more along the lines of saving money and maybe that is not a concern for her. 

8 hours ago, Simbaa said:

Celia says that her commute to Osgoode would only be 25 minutes. I don't see why you would live in residence if that were the case. Then again, I'm thinking more along the lines of saving money and maybe that is not a concern for her. 

There are some significant benefits to Passy. I am in a similar situation and have no real regrets about the money I've dumped here. It's been worth it so far. 

2 hours ago, ZineZ said:

There are some significant benefits to Passy. I am in a similar situation and have no real regrets about the money I've dumped here. It's been worth it so far. 

I lived in Passy as well in 1L and didn't think it was worth the cost, but everyone is different. You're forking out close to a grand per month for Passy. I do know of Osgoode students who rented out places for half that price in the York Village and surrounding areas. In any case, Celia should weigh the pros and cons and make an informed decision. She lives close enough to the school to have an active social life. Thursday pub nights are downtown anyway so it does not matter if she lived on campus. If she wants to meet people outside of her Section, then there are tons of school clubs and extracurriculars to get involved in. The main benefit of Passy is making friends with Osgoode students who live there, but you can befriend these same people in school as well. You have 3 years to get to know your cohort.