On 2018-02-24 at 8:59 AM, bhaywardio said:

Accepted as of yesterday off the interview. Turnaround for it really is very quick. Good luck to anyone else waiting on interviews :) 

Congrats! Welcome to Osgoode :D

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2018 at 11:30 AM, Lawtender33 said:

OP - I interviewed before receiving my acceptance to Osgoode and it felt almost like an informal job interview. There are a lot of informative posts on this forum if you do some digging regarding the types of questions they may ask. This will give you a better sense of what to expect and allow you to prepare accordingly. 

I would take the interview as a good sign :) 

How did they contact you about setting up an interview? My application was updated FEB 28 that i was being invited for an interview and still have not heard anything...

• Like 1

On 2/8/2018 at 10:00 PM, bhaywardio said:

OASIS has updated to say that I am being invited for an interview with the admissions committee? From what I understand this is for applicants they are on the fence about, does anyone have any insight as to what I can expect? Thank you!

Did you get an email or just an update on the site

On 3/12/2019 at 10:04 AM, anjalid said:

How did they contact you about setting up an interview? My application was updated FEB 28 that i was being invited for an interview and still have not heard anything...

I initially saw a notice on OASIS and then contacted them. They said they would be in touch with a date, which they did about a week later. Mine is in April. 

My OASIS status changed to say that I would be interviewed on February 28th. They finally emailed me on March 14 to schedule an interview for March 27th. No really enlightening information in the email other than to say that it will only take half an hour.

Thank you so much for posting about this! My application was also just updated saying I have been selected for an interview. It's nice to hear from someone else going through the same thing! 

Oasis changed on April 1st after 4 months of inactivity. Thankfully not an April fools joke. Received an email a week and half later with a set interview date and time. Pretty standard email with stuff that was mentioned above. 

Received an update regarding the interview on OASIS May 13. I received an email on May 15 noting the interview is scheduled for May 23.

I received the email from Vicky. We had exchanged several emails and had phone conversations as I prepared my application and I set up a meeting with her about a year ago to discuss the application process, so I am familiar with the location. 

Super excited! Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I work in engineering in the municipal government ~10 years.

The same tips you would expect for any job interview.  You are there because they want you but want clarification on some points or want to verify that you're the type of candidate they are looking for. Interviews were more common in my year for mature students who didn't necessarily have the stats to get automatically accepted in the general stream.  Some general tips would be to show confidence (but not arrogance), competence, humility, passion, positivity (or at least pleasantness), drive; these would be some qualities I believe interviewers would take well to.

Also, try to have some interesting stories prepped to use as responses (i.e. "give us an example of a time you demonstrated leadership") if you're not naturally inclined at that sort of thing on the fly. And finally, be prepared to answer practical questions in the interview. If you have a young family, for example, they may ask how you plan on balancing school and real life.

You can search this forum for past-year sample questions to know what to expect, here are a few:

Etc.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, TrqTTs said:

The same tips you would expect for any job interview.  You are there because they want you but want clarification on some points or want to verify that you're the type of candidate they are looking for. Interviews were more common in my year for mature students who didn't necessarily have the stats to get automatically accepted in the general stream.  Some general tips would be to show confidence (but not arrogance), competence, humility, passion, positivity (or at least pleasantness), drive; these would be some qualities I believe interviewers would take well to.

Also, try to have some interesting stories prepped to use as responses (i.e. "give us an example of a time you demonstrated leadership") if you're not naturally inclined at that sort of thing on the fly. And finally, be prepared to answer practical questions in the interview. If you have a young family, for example, they may ask how you plan on balancing school and real life.

You can search this forum for past-year sample questions to know what to expect, here are a few:

Etc.

Great advice! As silly as it sounds, I felt like I completely bombed that question during my interview. Those exact two instances that you mentioned I regret not having the foresight to prepare for..

Talking about a leadership experience. I have had many but was not entirely sure what they were looking for. I guess the more I think about it, I realize all of the things I could have spoken about. I know it seems standard but.. nerves.. I haven’t had an interview in ages. Reading up on this should help others prepare. Really kind of you to share ^ :) 

good luck @Lawgineer! Just be yourself and think of things outside your application.  Fingers crossed for both of us! 

Edited by CatLady
  • Like 1

A huge thank you to TrqTTs and CatLady for your kind encouragement and taking the time to respond so thoroughly. 

I have interviewed in the professional setting recently, landed the job (started as recently as April) as well as followed up with the interview panel on what interview skills they thought I could improve upon. Spent the weekend preparing for specific questions, so I feel prepared but still a bundle of nerves. 

Trying to stay positive and confident, and reminding myself of all I have to offer. Hopefully I'll be able to sleep tonight! :) 

Good luck to all still waiting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawgineer said:

A huge thank you to TrqTTs and CatLady for your kind encouragement and taking the time to respond so thoroughly. 

I have interviewed in the professional setting recently, landed the job (started as recently as April) as well as followed up with the interview panel on what interview skills they thought I could improve upon. Spent the weekend preparing for specific questions, so I feel prepared but still a bundle of nerves. 

Trying to stay positive and confident, and reminding myself of all I have to offer. Hopefully I'll be able to sleep tonight! :) 

Good luck to all still waiting.

Pretty sure everything will go smooth. I went through the interview and my impression is that along with the component of my non-English speaking country academic and work experience they want to check whether mature applicant is really "mature" and still not overripe.

Nervousness , in my humble opinion, is not the most advantageous way to demonstrate this.

Good luck! Meet you in late August

On ‎05‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 3:05 PM, barmayu said:

they want to check whether mature applicant is really "mature" and still not overripe

I can confirm that I am both mature and over-ripe. In my experience, I don't believe they are mutually exclusive. However, my appeal is that my over-ripeness will diversify the classroom. 

On ‎05‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 3:05 PM, barmayu said:

Nervousness , in my humble opinion, is not the most advantageous way to demonstrate this.

Thanks, Tips.

….moving on. 

I found all info on here to be an accurate reflection of what I experienced. A casual setting with casual interviewers (a professor and a graduating student). What threw me a little was not the questions, but the approach. After responding to the first prompt (Tell me about yourself), the professor responded by stating that I answered most of the subsequent questions, and they would bypass them. The student began asking me the next question, and the professor said, "I feel like we have an answer for that one as well. Let's move on." This threw me off a little as there were experiences that I planned on sharing that I feel embody the person I am. Apart from the standard questions already listed here, I was asked: What book are you reading right now? although I felt like it naturally came up as we had more of a dialogue going, rather than it being a planned question.

I felt like why I actually got an interview was because they wanted to talk about my plan; I talked about managing my financial and time commitments, how I planned on getting back into the academic world (and how I haven't really been too far out of it), utilizing support services, resources and tools that are available on campus, having a huge support system at home (I have a small pack of children I support), and having already had meetings with various groups (Mature Student Association, Admissions Coordinator to talk about all kinds of options, Student Ambassadors and even Alumni). I left feeling like I didn't share much "about" myself per se.

We parted on a very positive note and I received complimentary remarks from the professor after I sent a "thank you."

I was told I would be provided with their decision within two weeks.

Good luck to all who are waiting! 

• Like 1

For future readers: nervousness is not the worst thing you can demonstrate in an interview IMHO. It shows that you are vested in the process and that you are a real (non-sociopathic) human being. How you manage your nervousness in that setting (i.e. by not completely shutting down) is more likely to inform a panel’s decision, at least in my experience.

And besides, show me a 1L whose legs aren’t shaking during their first moot. Nervousness will happen regularly, you just need to learn to cope with it! Eventually you may even start chasing that high...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrqTTs said:

For future readers: nervousness is not the worst thing you can demonstrate in an interview IMHO. It shows that you are vested in the process and that you are a real (non-sociopathic) human being. How you manage your nervousness in that setting (i.e. by not completely shutting down) is more likely to inform a panel’s decision, at least in my experience.

And besides, show me a 1L whose legs aren’t shaking during their first moot. Nervousness will happen regularly, you just need to learn to cope with it! Eventually you may even start chasing that high...

I can co sign this. Had my interview 2 weeks ago. I walked in very nervous but they were very welcoming. Just prepare as best as you can, every question asked was somewhere on this forum so I knew what I wanted to say to each question but I didn't stick to a script. Smile and be human! They are very relatable which I didn't believe until I actually met them. 

Agree. I’ve interviewed many times for my career. My nervousness is always proportional to the risk (i.e. interviewing for a job that I REALLY want when I know competition is high and I have a job that I NEED to get out of versus a job that I would like to have, but if I don’t get, I simply go back to my well-paying job that I love with plenty of vacation time)...

As is my nature, I over prepared for the interview which translated to professionalism and composure during the interview (no visible nervousness!).

I am thrilled (still in shock) to announce that I was accepted as of yesterday (May 24). 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Lawgineer said:

I am thrilled (still in shock) to announce that I was accepted as of yesterday (May 24).  

Congratulations!  I am in a similar boat to you, I'm a mature student who had my interview last month, and got my acceptance a couple days later.  I'm *still* in shock.  I accepted immediately, of course, so they couldn't change their minds.  You'll get an acceptance letter in the mail soon - I framed mine :-D  If you accept, see you in August!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, noneoftheabove said:

You'll get an acceptance letter in the mail soon - I framed mine :-D  If you accept, see you in August!

Love that you framed it - getting accepted is an accomplishment in itself! Congratulations!

I am also accepting FOR SURE! Oz was the only school I applied to as it meant I didn’t have to relocate my family. 

See you in August!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Apologies to anyone trying to reach out to me about this - these notifications go to my old undergraduate email that I don't have access to

What everyone has said so far was my exact experience. It was really positive and you shouldn't be nervous. The resources posted in this thread are an immense help. Don't feel as though you need a script - the majority of my interview we talked about wine! Congrats to all those in this thread and good luck to anyone who comes across this thread in the future :)

Edited by bhaywardio
  • Like 3