Sign in to follow this  
SpaceLawyer

When is the latest to expect acceptances/rejections?

Luckily I'm getting offers for graduate programs but I would rather attend Law School. Ottawa U is my preferred law school. However,  I have to make a decision relatively soon for my offers and I don't want to shoot myself in the foot. 

Can you not do provisional acceptances? Offers from law schools can come as late as August in the right circumstances. March is when you will typically see regrets go out, so we should be hearing who has been waitlisted and who has been rejected soon. If you can, do a provisional acceptance to buy some time, because offers run from December all the way to August. Best of luck to you! 

If you haven't already, you could consider sharing your stats to garner your chances. Though those chances come from the opinions of current, former and prospective law students and are only as useful as you consider them to be. 

No, I wish, as for one offer the program begins in May, and the other begins in September. However, they both require an answer by late March.

My stats aren't the worst I have a 3.7 GPA for my l2, it but wasn't as great during the first two. Plus the LSAT kicked my ass, I understand the concepts, have lots of trouble with timing. So I know I may have to rewrite it. Hence, why I applied to Grad programs as a backup. 

However, for some background on my lack of stellar GPA and LSAT, both my parents died during my undergrad, no close or extended family left, it's just me. So having to work fulltime to support myself, getting assistance from the whole ordeal and going to school full time made my undergrad difficult. I applied as access, and while I see someone with access has already been accepted but I worry my access application gets pushed back after regular admissions. 

8 minutes ago, SpaceLawyer said:

No, I wish, as for one offer the program begins in May, and the other begins in September. However, they both require an answer by late March.

My stats aren't the worst I have a 3.7 GPA for my l2, it but wasn't as great during the first two. Plus the LSAT kicked my ass, I understand the concepts, have lots of trouble with timing. So I know I may have to rewrite it. Hence, why I applied to Grad programs as a backup. 

However, for some background on my lack of stellar GPA and LSAT, both my parents died during my undergrad, no close or extended family left, it's just me. So having to work fulltime to support myself, getting assistance from the whole ordeal and going to school full time made my undergrad difficult. I applied as access, and while I see someone with access has already been accepted but I worry my access application gets pushed back after regular admissions. 

Above all else, my condolences. Good on you for staying driven.

• Like 1

Admissions/Rejections can go until August unfortunately. At first I didn't believe it myself, but you can creep old accepted threads and see people posting in August that they were accepted/rejected. I remember seeing one poster get accepted to alberta and booked a flight to move to the province mid August. They then got accepted to a school in Ontario the DAY OF their flight and had to completely change their entire living arrangement plan 2 weeks before classes started.  Moral of the story - Law schools just want to keep up the highest chance of maxing out their class size for the given year. 

Depending on how competitive the grad programs you are in, I strongly believe that they are much more flexible with their deadlines than they make out to be. Again, this all depends on how competitive the program is - i.e the less competitive the more flexible they are. Imagine a scenario where they have 10 grad spots available and only 8 students applied....they lack the incentive to rush you because universities are still a business and want money more than anything else. Obviously for the program starting in May this might be a little tighter, but for the program starting in September, you definitely should be able to push accepting back until at least June.

Edited by NZT

Thank you everyone! I'm definitely going to attempt to get them deferred, I know I may not be able to for May, but worst case scenario I just go for the other program. I just want to ensure I always have a backup plan. I stayed in school to help work through the loss and law keeps me motivated, I know i'll get in at some point. I just want to now, as most of you feel. 

The motto which I am repeating to myself: "whether now or sometime in the future, you will get into law school." We will take as much time as is deemed necessary for us to get in. If the study and practice of law is going to be a lifetime investment, it shouldn't matter when we get in, despite the throws of anxiety telling us otherwise.

Best of luck to you in your journey. I wish you success.

• Like 1

I found myself in a similar predicament about two years ago. Applying in my fourth year, I wrote the LSAT unprepared and scored very poorly. Luckily, I had enough time to apply to graduate school. I finished my one-year MA and reapplied this year (while working). My advice to you would be to accept your graduate school offer and wait to hear from Law School. Worst case scenario, you do your Masters and reapply in the next cycle. I don't regret doing my MA at all, in fact, I believe it bolstered my application. I also took the time to study and rewrite the LSAT and have already been accepted to one of my top choices this year. If it's meant to be it will be. Stay focused and committed, and believe in yourself!

Best of luck. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, foreveraloan said:

Couldn't you just accept the grad program and then cancel if you got accepted to law school?

With the one that starts in May I'll be pretty much moving across the country, I have asked for an appeal to defer. 

On 5/2/2018 at 11:24 AM, phemmisky said:

@SpaceLawyerpls what graduate school did you apply to ? 

Sorry but if you don't mind I won't be giving out all that much detail. Internet and privacy.