Sign in to follow this  
pele24

1st year associate in Toronto

Hi everyone,

what is the average salary for a 1st year associate in a small firm in midtown Toronto? Is 50k with no benefits reasonable? Looks to me like a very small salary.

thanks

Edited by pele24

It’s low, but keep in mind that it will be much easier to find another job once you have a bit of experience under your belt.

Practice area matters a great deal. And also, you should probably clarify what you mean by "small." Someone in business-related law could reasonably refer to a 15-20 lawyer firm as "small," and given both the practice area and the real size of the firm, $50k would strike me as lowish. But someone else might be talking about a 1-2 lawyer practice in criminal defence, family law, etc. And if that's what you mean, $50k is very reasonable, even somewhat above average.

• Like 1

On 05/02/2018 at 11:53 AM, hogwartslawyer said:

I tried, the results are wide ranging and unclear how accurate. 

ah, I see..sorry!

On 2018-02-04 at 11:00 AM, pele24 said:

Hi everyone,

what is the average salary for a 1st year associate in a small firm in midtown Toronto? Is 50k with no benefits reasonable? Looks to me like a very small salary.

thanks

If you're still researching this issue, check out the following link: https://www.roberthalf.ca/en/research-and-insights/media-room/robert-half-legal-releases-annual-salary-guide

Note, the figures are end of 2016, so it's safe to assume the figure today are slightly higher.