Sign in to follow this  
beeman

Calgary 1L recruit interviews

25 minutes ago, Dreamer89 said:

Anyone heard from Field, McLennan or Norton Rose Fulbright yet? I am just surprised I haven't heard of anyone being contacted by them yet....

I've heard back from NRF. I didn't apply to Field or McLennan. Do you know if anyone heard back from Dentons yet?

Dentons - Radio silence from them. 
When did you hear from NRF? (recently or back before the deadline) 

20 minutes ago, Dreamer89 said:

Dentons - Radio silence from them. 
When did you hear from NRF? (recently or back before the deadline) 

Eeeeeek I'm not sure if I should reach out to them first or just wait patiently.

I heard back from NRF late Jan. But I think they're sending out offers until Feb 12?

Wait patiently...
If you contact them you're going to get one of two responses. 

1. Yes we have your file and have not reviewed it......
  2. Yes we reviewed your file and decided not to grant you an interview.....

If you have 5 interviews already, you're clearly doing something right and statistically speaking (unless you're absolutely terrible at interviewing) you should be able to get a position somewhere. So even if Dentons doesn't take interest in you for this recruit for whatever reason (valid or not) you'll be in a great position to apply there in the future.

Chin up 

2 hours ago, Dreamer89 said:

Wait patiently...

If you have 5 interviews already, you're clearly doing something right and statistically speaking (unless you're absolutely terrible at interviewing) you should be able to get a position somewhere. So even if Dentons doesn't take interest in you for this recruit for whatever reason (valid or not) you'll be in a great position to apply there in the future.

Chin up 

Yupp, I'll wait and see.

Good luck with the process! 

3 hours ago, Dreamer89 said:

Anyone heard from Field, McLennan or Norton Rose Fulbright yet? I am just surprised I haven't heard of anyone being contacted by them yet....

Have not heard anything from McLenna Ross yet. They had a later deadline to apply than some firms so they may be taking longer to respond to applications.

Firms don't operate on the same time lines - annoying for us as students trying to schedule interviews but...that's just how it is. If it seems like nobody has heard from a firm...well that might be just it, they haven't gone out yet!

13 hours ago, AudreyBerry said:

Firms don't operate on the same time lines - annoying for us as students trying to schedule interviews but...that's just how it is. If it seems like nobody has heard from a firm...well that might be just it, they haven't gone out yet!

15 hours ago, Huxlei said:

Have not heard anything from McLenna Ross yet. They had a later deadline to apply than some firms so they may be taking longer to respond to applications.

• Haha, Audrey that is definitely becoming more apparent from my experiences so far; there has been no clear reason or order to which firms have contacted. I don't mean to convey insecurity or worry, I am thrilled with who has taken interest in me so far. But I can't help but honestly say I have been surprised a little with which firms have prioritized reaching out to me. (goes to show just like our classes/marks - you never know what is going to happen)

• It is sure looking that way for Fields and McLennan Ross (mind you one is closing applications today).
  • I feel like alot of people may have over looked these smaller firms; but they're still a fantastic place to build a career from.  

On 2/8/2018 at 8:53 PM, Dreamer89 said:

Wait patiently...

Chin up 

Do you have any idea how many interviews there are per position, ballpark? Just trying to gauge my odds. I'm sitting at 3 right now, which I am extremely pleased with, but just trying to get an idea. I figured there was 6-10 interviews per job, but I may be way off.

Just now, ConfusedCalgarian said:

Do you have any idea how many interviews there are per position, ballpark? Just trying to gauge my odds. I'm sitting at 3 right now, which I am extremely pleased with, but just trying to get an idea. I figured there was 6-10 interviews per job, but I may be way off.

Totally depends on which firm you're interviewing with, from what I know there is a lot of variance in practices. 

I think it depends on the firm, but the general ratio will be around 10:1 for first interviews. I know there are firms who will do 15:1. 6:1 would seem a bit low to me. The big cut off is from 1st interviews to 2nd interviews, where the ratio typically shrinks considerably, think like 5:1.

This is just based on my experiences and those of my peers! 

• Thanks 2

On 02/02/2018 at 11:06 PM, ConfusedCalgarian said:

I can say that Fasken and Blakes have sent out offers so far. It sounds like they cherry pick through the application period, rather than wait until after? If you've heard from 5 firms already, and I've heard from 2 that you haven't yet, it sounds like that's the case. Does anyone know anything about this? Both my offers came out within 24 hours of applying. 

Do you happen to know if Blakes sent out invitations to a reception/dinner?

50 minutes ago, beeman said:

Do you happen to know if Blakes sent out invitations to a reception/dinner?

Invitations to the dinner were sent with the interview offers. But they have not yet sent out the details as to where it will be taking place. I imagine they will be released sometime this week. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/9/2018 at 9:29 PM, AudreyBerry said:

I think it depends on the firm, but the general ratio will be around 10:1 for first interviews. I know there are firms who will do 15:1. 6:1 would seem a bit low to me. The big cut off is from 1st interviews to 2nd interviews, where the ratio typically shrinks considerably, think like 5:1.

This is just based on my experiences and those of my peers! 

You have been an unbelievable help, thank you so much. It's hard to put into words how helpful this forum is. I really appreciate it! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Girby said:

Anyone heard from Fasken?

a few years ago, fasken pulled out of the recruit last minute and didn't tell anyone. might be happening again if no one has heard this late? 

1 hour ago, twinsfindme said:

a few years ago, fasken pulled out of the recruit last minute and didn't tell anyone. might be happening again if no one has heard this late? 

wow

Edited by RBK

3 hours ago, Girby said:

Anyone heard from Fasken?

3 hours ago, twinsfindme said:

I didn't apply there, but I know a friend who has an interview with them.
So I don't think that they pulled out late or anything. 

My interviews didn't go that well. I never felt the "fit" that everyone is talking about. Is there anyway to redeem yourself at the receptions/ dinners before second interviews come out? I was just so nervous that I felt it destroyed my game.

40 minutes ago, CalgaryBased said:

My interviews didn't go that well. I never felt the "fit" that everyone is talking about. Is there anyway to redeem yourself at the receptions/ dinners before second interviews come out? I was just so nervous that I felt it destroyed my game.

Any particulars or do you just didn't like the general vibe? Absolutely nothing wrong with feeling nervous going into interviews, trust me, we all do.

As far as receptions/dinners go, there is absolutely an opportunity to still strike a great impression! Talk to as many people as you can/want, and see if there is anyone new that you click with. An interview is with what, 2 lawyers? It could be possible that you just didn't particularly vibe with them, or maybe they were tired, could be any number of things.

This is farrrr too early in the process to be feeling discouraged, keep your chin up and keep going. Give it your best go and let the chips fall where they may come Friday.

• Like 1