Sign in to follow this  
beeman

Calgary 1L recruit interviews

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone heard back from Blakes, Bennett Jones, or Dentons in Calgary for 1L recruit interviews?

I'm still waiting on those firms, and I guess I'm looking for some closure... :(

9 minutes ago, beeman said:

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone heard back from Blakes, Bennett Jones, or Dentons in Calgary for 1L recruit interviews?

I'm still waiting on those firms, and I guess I'm looking for some closure... 

Didn't applications close, like last night?

When you say you're still waiting on those firms, have you received info from others? I only applied to one place in AB, and wasn't at all concerned about not hearing anything since.... I figured they'd have a shedload of applications to be reading today.

21 minutes ago, AudreyBerry said:

I know 1Ls who have heard from BJ / Blakes, not sure about Dentons.

I can second that above post. 
I know for a fact that  BJ, Blakes, & Fasken have sent out some interview offers already. I can't speak to Dentons though. 

You shouldn't worry though, there is plenty of time before the interview week. And honestly, 1L recruit will not make or break your career - remain positive, open minded and most importantly ready for opportunity. You've already made it to Law School, just keep working hard and things will eventually come together. 

Edited by Dreamer89
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, lookingaround said:

Didn't applications close, like last night?

When you say you're still waiting on those firms, have you received info from others? I only applied to one place in AB, and wasn't at all concerned about not hearing anything since.... I figured they'd have a shedload of applications to be reading today.

Yeah I've heard from 5 firms in Calgary, but haven't heard from those, so I was just wondering. 

Thanks everyone who replied! I'm just being a little psychotic. I'll wait and see what happens!

I can say that Fasken and Blakes have sent out offers so far. It sounds like they cherry pick through the application period, rather than wait until after? If you've heard from 5 firms already, and I've heard from 2 that you haven't yet, it sounds like that's the case. Does anyone know anything about this? Both my offers came out within 24 hours of applying. 

Edited by ConfusedCalgarian

9 hours ago, ConfusedCalgarian said:

I can say that Fasken and Blakes have sent out offers so far. It sounds like they cherry pick through the application period, rather than wait until after? If you've heard from 5 firms already, and I've heard from 2 that you haven't yet, it sounds like that's the case. Does anyone know anything about this? Both my offers came out within 24 hours of applying. 

Yes. This is only true of some firms however, there are those that choose to just wait and contact interviewees at a later date. That said, just because your friend has heard from a firm that you haven't yet, don't count yourself quite out yet. Maybe they like his candidacy more on paper but you if you are still on the bubble, you can still get a call after the application process closes.

I should say, I did the formal interview process for Calgary and ended up with a job so I feel like I have some experience. But take it all with a grain of salt! :D

6 hours ago, AudreyBerry said:

I should say, I did the formal interview process for Calgary and ended up with a job so I feel like I have some experience. But take it all with a grain of salt! :D

Anything you recommend to prepare ourselves for? 

7 hours ago, AudreyBerry said:

Yes. This is only true of some firms however, there are those that choose to just wait and contact interviewees at a later date. That said, just because your friend has heard from a firm that you haven't yet, don't count yourself quite out yet. Maybe they like his candidacy more on paper but you if you are still on the bubble, you can still get a call after the application process closes.

Thanks for all the info. I'm assuming with applications closing on the 1st, about 50% of interviews have been filled overall, but with some firms at 90% and others may just be starting now. I was not expecting a single interview, let alone 2, but for some reason, I really want to get a couple more. With a few interviews think I would have enough 'chances' that I wouldn't feel much anxiety in the interview. Thanks again!

52 minutes ago, Dreamer89 said:

Anything you recommend to prepare ourselves for? 

Nothing in particular. Schedule well, leave yourself time for breaks and second meetings. Try to relax as much as you can during the interviews, and try to talk to as many people as you can during the receptions/dinners. I'm not saying be over-confident, but feel like you belong - because you do.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AudreyBerry said:

Nothing in particular. Schedule well, leave yourself time for breaks and second meetings. Try to relax as much as you can during the interviews, and try to talk to as many people as you can during the receptions/dinners. I'm not saying be over-confident, but feel like you belong - because you do.

For receptions that start around 4 or 5 and end around 7, are we going to be expected to be drinking? Is it just going around and talking to people?

No expectation you drink. Most people walk around with a glass of wine or beer. I would just get a glass of sparkling water since I am not much of a drinker - never once felt out of place.

If you don't want to have a drink because you have plans after the reception, don't feel the need to! Dinner feels a bit different though since most people will have a glass of wine. I always had 1 or 2 at the most because I wanted to stay sharp - again, never an issue.

20 hours ago, AudreyBerry said:

For the reception/dinners, is it just the same people as the interview committee? Does it mean anything if one firm offered you a dinner, but the other didn't? 

Any other advice for the dinners? My plan was to generally be more extroverted during the interview, but less so in a larger group setting, since I don't want to come off as a guy that's too socially dominant (which I'm not anyway). However, I wanted to show more personality during the interview, since it's really an hour focused on just you.

By the way, how long are these interviews? I'm assuming 45-60 minutes, but I haven't heard exactly how long. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer all of these questions!

A lot of what you are asking varies firm by firm, there isn't a standard way of recruitment. For example, some firms always offer a dinner with the first interview, and others won't.

I would say for the receptions, you'll meet people from the student committee, but there will likely be other lawyers mingling around too. For your purposes, just be cordial and friendly to everyone although you can try to target the main studet committee heads if you would like.

For sit down dinners, I would avoid being the person who talks the most and also the person who talks the least. Strike for a middle ground, and try to include your peers in the conversation. Speak when you have something to say, but don't force yourself in constantly. Learning to listen well is key!

Interview length wise, some firms have shorter interviews, others do a firm tour. They are generally going to be less than an hour though. Regardless - just roll with the conversation, don't think about the time.

Piggybacking on what ConfusedCalgarian asked... how much time should you spend with each group of lawyers during the reception? I'm guessing the reception will be like small groups of lawyers and students mingling in each corner. I never know when to butt in and when to leave the convo, but it sounds like I should really make an effort to talk to everyone? Should I aim for maybe 15-20 mins per each small group?

Thanks so much! :)

I don't know if there is a magic number! 15-20 minutes sounds pretty good to me though. Honestly, the best advice I could give is treat every member of the firm you talk to with courtesy and respect. It doesn't matter if they are the articling student or the managing partner. Try your best to ask good questions, and be polite to your fellow students also mingling in the groups.

It may be awkward to enter/exit those conversations, but just don't force it. Just make a comment about how you enjoyed talking to them, and want to give them some time with your peers, or you are going to grab another drink, etc. Pick a natural pause in the conversation so it doesn't seem dismissive!

On 04/02/2018 at 9:30 PM, AudreyBerry said:

I don't know if there is a magic number! 15-20 minutes sounds pretty good to me though. Honestly, the best advice I could give is treat every member of the firm you talk to with courtesy and respect. It doesn't matter if they are the articling student or the managing partner. Try your best to ask good questions, and be polite to your fellow students also mingling in the groups.

It may be awkward to enter/exit those conversations, but just don't force it. Just make a comment about how you enjoyed talking to them, and want to give them some time with your peers, or you are going to grab another drink, etc. Pick a natural pause in the conversation so it doesn't seem dismissive!

Thanks so much!! Will have to give it my best shot and see where it takes me

On 2/2/2018 at 4:17 PM, Dreamer89 said:

I can second that above post. 
I know for a fact that  BJ, Blakes, & Fasken have sent out some interview offers already. I can't speak to Dentons though. 

You shouldn't worry though, there is plenty of time before the interview week. And honestly, 1L recruit will not make or break your career - remain positive, open minded and most importantly ready for opportunity. You've already made it to Law School, just keep working hard and things will eventually come together. 

Anyone heard from Field, McLennan or Norton Rose Fulbright yet? I am just surprised I haven't heard of anyone being contacted by them yet....