Sign in to follow this  
BlockedQuebecois

2018 1L Toronto Recruit

4 hours ago, QLawGuy7 said:

Anyone heard anything from Blakes?

I haven't yet! 

• Thanks 1

I got an ITC from Blakes as well a couple hours ago but just a heads up it was in my Spam Folder

On 2/7/2018 at 3:45 PM, PeanutB said:

What firms are everyone's top two choices!

Davies and Blakes. I'm really on the fence about whether I'd prefer to get a job at A&B or if I'd rather hold out for the fall... 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Davies and Blakes. I'm really on the fence about whether I'd prefer to get a job at A&B or if I'd rather hold out for the fall... 

Depends on what you want to do man. I have some friends at A&B and if you're interested in the right things it's a great place to grow. Plus, working there for 1L doesn't necessarily mean not making a change for 2L and Articling. Davies and Blakes are awesome choices, but leave yourself some room to decide over the course of interviews. 

Just now, whoknows said:

Depends on what you want to do man. I have some friends at A&B and if you're interested in the right things it's a great place to grow. Plus, working there for 1L doesn't necessarily mean not making a change for 2L and Articling. Davies and Blakes are awesome choices, but leave yourself some room to decide over the course of interviews. 

Agreed, they're just not super strong in areas I'm interested in. Plus I don't want to burn a bridge and leave after 1L. It's a shitty thing to do, in my opinion

• Like 1

Personally am between Blakes and Dentons! This is based on a combination of practice areas I'm interested in, conversations with previous students, and visiting the firms. Things may sway in the course of interviews though and I'm open to that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Hold out for the 2L recruit.

Agreed. I think I will have a very hard time deciding between a non-top choice firm for 1L and declining to wait until 2L recruit. There seem to be a number of disadvantages of the 1L recruit, but I mean... how does one just turn down a job off, right? :huh:

Has anyone else not received either a ITC nor a PFO from any of the firms?

What's everyone thinking in terms of dinner the first night? Would your decision influence the remainder of your week? (in b/w Blakes & Davies atm) I'm indifferent about the two but I don't want to send a bad "signal"... 

2 hours ago, PeanutB said:

Agreed. I think I will have a very hard time deciding between a non-top choice firm for 1L and declining to wait until 2L recruit. There seem to be a number of disadvantages of the 1L recruit, but I mean... how does one just turn down a job off, right? :huh:

Has anyone else not received either a ITC nor a PFO from any of the firms?

PFO from Blakes and Davies, but received nothing from A&B and Dentons.

Applied on a whim, but not expecting any ITCs based on grades. Do firms usually send out PFOs to everyone they don't offer an interview to?

Edited by lawndromat
Clarify question

I had interviews in all of those places in first year. Thank god none of them offered me a job, because I probably would have taken it and been much less happy in the long run. 

2 hours ago, PotatoTaco said:

What's everyone thinking in terms of dinner the first night? Would your decision influence the remainder of your week? (in b/w Blakes & Davies atm) I'm indifferent about the two but I don't want to send a bad "signal"... 

Lobster. Always go with lobster. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PotatoTaco said:

LOL. There is no difference between Blakes and Davies for a first year law student.

8 hours ago, lawndromat said:

PFO from Blakes and Davies, but received nothing from A&B and Dentons.

Applied on a whim, but not expecting any ITCs based on grades. Do firms usually send out PFOs to everyone they don't offer an interview to?

Not to my knowledge. In the A&B email also, they mention they will only be in touch if they can offer you an interview.