Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey folks,

I see that many rental ads require a year's tenancy agreement. I'll likely be spending my summers in Van.

But it seems hard to find a rental for 8 months, or on a monthly basis.

How do students (plan to) deal with this situation? I'd imagine it's a common one...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd imagine there's a lot of subletting in the summers. Personally I'd think it would be more convenient to just hang on to the place for as long as you can - avoids having to move every year and trying to find a new place at the end of every summer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, sandman said:

Hey folks,

I see that many rental ads require a year's tenancy agreement. I'll likely be spending my summers in Van.

But it seems hard to find a rental for 8 months, or on a monthly basis.

How do students (plan to) deal with this situation? I'd imagine it's a common one...

To my knowledge most students just paid their rent over the summer months to secure their place and avoid the inconvenience of moving every year. However, there were definitely some who found landlords willing to do 8 month leases. There's no harm in speaking with a rental manager/landlord about it even if an ad says 1 year lease required. Landlords in Kamloops seem to love renting to law students and some are willing to waive or reduce summer rent just to secure a mature student renter for 3 years. Plus in BC, like most provinces, there's a 30 day notice requirement for moving out of a rental so you'll likely see a big jump in places available for rent starting in September with a variety of lease requirements after August 1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having a lot of trouble finding a place right now, I was rejected by summit earlier this week (which I thought was a done deal) and now I'm left scrambling. Im driving down to Kamloops this weekend to look at 2 places that I'm not all that high on, but I feel like I'm getting pretty late. Can any previous students give me any tips on whether more units become available in August? Or should I just take what I can get right now? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2018 at 6:12 PM, FunkyFin said:

I'm having a lot of trouble finding a place right now, I was rejected by summit earlier this week (which I thought was a done deal) and now I'm left scrambling. Im driving down to Kamloops this weekend to look at 2 places that I'm not all that high on, but I feel like I'm getting pretty late. Can any previous students give me any tips on whether more units become available in August? Or should I just take what I can get right now? 

Definitely more become available in August. BC has a 30 day notice requirement so you'll find that more rentals will become available after the 31st. I know I panicked a bit when I couldn't get in to see places since I went out to Kamloops on the August long weekend, but there were plenty of people who found places in August. Also, Kamloops is small so don't discount places like the north shore . I lived in Library Square and there are currently several other law students still in that building. It's a quick drive to campus or if you don't have a car, the bus goes right by the building and right to campus. From what I've been told, the public transit system has been pretty good in Kamloops in recent years and bus passes are included in tuition.

Also, if you haven't already done so, join the incoming class Facebook page. There's usually other law students looking for roomies if that's something you might be interested in. Also, there are more upper years on there than regularly check out this forum so you might get more advice and faster.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1328407917305473/

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, don't stress it at all.  JE is right and a lot of places will open up at the beginning of August.  You shouldn't have to settle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any tips for finding a place? Everything I’ve been looking at seems full or far from campus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2018 at 8:31 PM, RBY93 said:

Any tips for finding a place? Everything I’ve been looking at seems full or far from campus

Kijiji and Craigslist are the most common online listing sites for apartments. Also, if you haven't already joined the Class of 2021 Facebook page and the TRU Law Black Market Facebook page, you should do that now. Good places to find roommates and upper years who are leaving their apartments or renting out ones they bought will post on the black market page.

Also, Kamloops is quite small so even when something is "far" from campus, it's not usually not really too far. Depends on what mode of transportation you plan to use. The public transit system is apparently fairly reliable and plenty of buses stop on campus. If you have a car, most neighbourhoods are 15 minutes max from campus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MissJE said:

Kijiji and Craigslist are the most common online listing sites for apartments. Also, if you haven't already joined the Class of 2021 Facebook page and the TRU Law Black Market Facebook page, you should do that now. Good places to find roommates and upper years who are leaving their apartments or renting out ones they bought will post on the black market page.

Also, Kamloops is quite small so even when something is "far" from campus, it's not usually not really too far. Depends on what mode of transportation you plan to use. The public transit system is apparently fairly reliable and plenty of buses stop on campus. If you have a car, most neighbourhoods are 15 minutes max from campus. 

Thank you, I'm from Vancouver so I was just worried living even a 15 minute drive from campus would be hard in the snow...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×