Where do most 1Ls moving to Kamloops from another city live? 

I lived in res during my 1L year as did quite a few others.  I lived downtown the remaining 2 years which I really enjoyed.  You'll find the majority live in Lower Sahali, Upper Sahali, Aberdeen or downtown.  Quite a few choose the north side as well because it's often a lot cheaper.  Do your research before you choose the north side though.  If you have a car you can look into neighbourhoods that are a little further from the school such as Valleyview or Juniper.  

• Like 1

That’s really helpful thank you. Which building did you stay in when you were in res? 

A lot of law students live in the new res building. Also, the landmark condos across from campus are popular with law students. They just added one more building to this condo complex so there will likely be plenty of rentals there.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2018 at 2:25 PM, AWL said:

That’s really helpful thank you. Which building did you stay in when you were in res? 

I was in the new res building.  If you're going to do res, make sure you get the new res as the old one is absolutely disgusting.  

If you can afford the landmark condos across from campus, it's a great suggestion.  The condos in there are all fantastic and I had a few classmates who rented there (or bought), but it was far outside of my price range. 

• Like 1

I’ll check out the condos, although they may be out of my price range as well, thanks!

I am a 1L and live downtown (near the "Sagebrush Theatre"). 

I drive a car, and would NOT recommend living in this area of you don't have one. The buses have to change near the downtown core and you're commute could take 45 minutes.

Its nice to be close to downtown, but to be honest I don't find myself going out around there much. I'm from a large city and the nightlife in Kamloops is bleh. I am typically occupied in other ways (get togethers at friends houses etc). Thank goodness because the bars suck. 

New rez is good if you don't have a car since it's about a ten minute walk to the Old Main Building, although that's about the only perk of living there. It's overpriced for what it offers students, if I'm being honest. 

On 10/04/2018 at 8:04 PM, Lawren12 said:

HELP...I have a dog and am struggling to find anywhere to rent.

I'd definitely suggest posting this on the Facebook group for the class of 2021. There's about a dozen or so upper years that may have recommendations. Also a good place to find roommates. Just search TRU Faculty of Law - Class of 2021 and ask to join. Once you're on that page, you can then request to join the tru law black market page where apartments are often listed by current and outgoing students who would know if pets are allowed.

On 1/30/2018 at 9:33 PM, MissJE said:

A lot of law students live in the new res building. Also, the landmark condos across from campus are popular with law students. They just added one more building to this condo complex so there will likely be plenty of rentals there.

On 2/2/2018 at 3:30 AM, Stark said:

I was in the new res building.  If you're going to do res, make sure you get the new res as the old one is absolutely disgusting.  

If you can afford the landmark condos across from campus, it's a great suggestion.  The condos in there are all fantastic and I had a few classmates who rented there (or bought), but it was far outside of my price range. 

Are there any other 1 bedroom condos besides Landmark that is close to the university (ideally within 30 min walk)? 

1 hour ago, JDLeoSands said:

Are there any other 1 bedroom condos besides Landmark that is close to the university (ideally within 30 min walk)? 

Anything in upper and/or lower sahali would probably place you within walking distance if you’re willing to walk up to 30 mins. 

You’ll get a range of rooms, basement suits, condos and apartments. I’ll let some of the current students chime in with more info though as I left Kamloops 3 years ago so I’m sure the area has changed a bit. 

Hi all,

Can anyone comment on their experience with Kelson Group? Each of the property managers I spoke to was helpful and seemed well informed. 

Is there a building in particular or property manager that you would recommend?

I'm looking for a 1 bedroom/bachelor, ideally at no more than 850/month.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide! 

2 hours ago, Cody94 said:

Hi all,

Can anyone comment on their experience with Kelson Group? Each of the property managers I spoke to was helpful and seemed well informed. 

Is there a building in particular or property manager that you would recommend?

I'm looking for a 1 bedroom/bachelor, ideally at no more than 850/month.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide! 

Without going into too much detail, I will say that I did not have a good experience with Kelson Group when I was apartment hunting and I did NOT rent with them.

I think everyone's idea of an ideal living situation is different and it was almost 3 years ago that I dealt with them so that what I say with a grain of salt since a lot may have changed. What I would recommend is that you definitely go see the apartments/buildings before making any decisions. The pictures on their website were not very good representations of the apartments I looked at and I think I saw 4 or 5 before deciding to go another way.

That being said, there are plenty of students who found apartments in your price range. It can be stressful to wait, but a lot more apartments will be posted over the next few months. Sometimes you need to wait until July/August since that is when people give notice to move out before September. 

Anyway, good luck with you search!

Hey folks,

In terms of housing, how bad does the driving conditions get if I am choosing to drive from a basement suite/apartment?

On 2018-05-16 at 7:12 AM, MissJE said:

Without going into too much detail, I will say that I did not have a good experience with Kelson Group when I was apartment hunting and I did NOT rent with them.

I think everyone's idea of an ideal living situation is different and it was almost 3 years ago that I dealt with them so that what I say with a grain of salt since a lot may have changed. What I would recommend is that you definitely go see the apartments/buildings before making any decisions. The pictures on their website were not very good representations of the apartments I looked at and I think I saw 4 or 5 before deciding to go another way.

That being said, there are plenty of students who found apartments in your price range. It can be stressful to wait, but a lot more apartments will be posted over the next few months. Sometimes you need to wait until July/August since that is when people give notice to move out before September. 

Anyway, good luck with you search!

Interesting. I had a fine experience with Kelson Group in my first year. I think the best bet for OP is, like you said, to go see the units and meet with the building managers and come to their own decision.

44 minutes ago, applesandoranges said:

Hey folks,

In terms of housing, how bad does the driving conditions get if I am choosing to drive from a basement suite/apartment?

I think it depends where you are from and your history with winter driving/tolerance for slippery road conditions. I can tell you that if you are driving from downtown, the first snow or two of the season will make Columbia (probably the main way you're getting to TRU from DT) a living nightmare. Once the sand is out, it's generally fine IMO.

44 minutes ago, applesandoranges said:

Hey folks,

Depends on where you're from and what driving you're used to. If you're from Van, Vic or lower mainland, etc. it may seem awful and you should probably have winter tires especially if you plan to drive home on occasion. However, if you're from the prairies or northern BC, the roads are no problem. As for me, I came from Calgary to Kamloops and I had all weather tires, which served me just fine driving from the north shore to campus every day. Also, BC law requires winter or mud/snow tires to drive on the highways so keep that in mind. 

On 6/11/2018 at 12:58 PM, VancityAnxious said:

anyone have any experience with Summit Village Residences?!

No direct experiences but I haven't heard anything bad from people that lived there. It's a pretty short walk to school (though you might not want to during winter) and I think it's a pretty new building. Might want to watch out for road noise depending on what unit you're looking at.

On 6/11/2018 at 1:58 PM, VancityAnxious said:

anyone have any experience with Summit Village Residences?!

I don't have direct experience here either, but when I tried to make an appointment on a long weekend to see a unit, no one was available. This helped me decide not to pursue an apartment there because if, as a tenant, I needed assistance with my unit on a long weekend, there was no one around to help. Not a great sign imo. 

Also, not 100% sure, but I was told there is no air conditioning in these units and if you know anything about Kamloops weather, it can get freakin' hot so even if you don't stay the summer, April and September can be pretty gross without a/c.