Sign in to follow this  
Otter248

Ask a U of T student!

On 2/3/2018 at 2:39 PM, Constant said:

Wrong again. Been in the parks you mentioned dozens of times. In all seasons although most frequently in the winter to ski.  Not a big fan of just looking at a lake. Huge fan of swimming, boating and any other activity that involves being either on or in the water. 

The assertion that there aren't lakes in those parks is hilarious.

1. Have you heard the stories of the moot court room before the renos?

2. Do they still have no wifi in some classrooms?

3. Do they still have rodent friends in the library?

Edited by AnonLaw

1. No.

2. No.

3. No.

I have no idea what you're referring to, re: MCR. It's an entirely new (cantilevered) room, and I've never had a reason to complain about it. If there's some sweet story, please tell.

Wifi is great. It's everywhere and very fast. 

Library is clean. There are snails, but no rodents. That said, I'm sure that Flavelle--a building separate from the Jackman/Falconer complex mostly used for seminars and grad students--is crawling with them. I'd say that I hope they renovate it soon, but I'm sure that'd stick another grand on tuition. 

Edited by onepost

Pre-reno MCR had such perks as:

1. No wifi

2. No heating (thank goodness for having two winter jackets I can layer on, but it helped that my laptop had really bad heat management so it kept my hands warm)

3. No legroom (and god help you if somebody had to go to the washroom and they sat right in the middle, as there's only stairs at the two edges.

The story is that after classes were over and before demolition of the 1980s-era portion of Falconer the Dean, being well aware of the students' complaints, let us vandalize (spray paint) the MCR.  Good times. I wonder if there's any photographs out there of what it looked like at the end as it was pretty funny. This was in 2013.

Edited by AnonLaw
  • Like 1

Ouh, I have another question. We all hear about U of T placing some students in NYC each year, but I've also heard it's possible to go to London, UK. I don't expect it's exactly easy, but does U of T regularly place students in London biglaw (Magic Circle) firms? Do they come for OCIs? 

3 hours ago, Prospero said:

Ouh, I have another question. We all hear about U of T placing some students in NYC each year, but I've also heard it's possible to go to London, UK. I don't expect it's exactly easy, but does U of T regularly place students in London biglaw (Magic Circle) firms? Do they come for OCIs? 

Only 1 or 2 students go to “other” after graduation, so I don’t think it’s all that common. London firms don’t do OCIs in Toronto, unless that’s changed since I looked into it.  

https://www.law.utoronto.ca/student-life/career-development-office/career-statistics

I don’t think any Magic Circle firms participate in any of the formal recruits, whether for the London offices or otherwise. But people have gone to the NY firms’ London offices through the NY recruit. (It really depends on the firm; I understand that Sullcrom is pretty flexible, in this respect.)

I’ve been told it’s not tremendously difficult to go to the UK after articling in Canada, and, anecdotally, I know of a few people who’ve done this and ended up in the Magic Circle. 

There are always weird one-off things that appear. One Magic Circle firm is currently soliciting applications for a particular practice group in its Paris office. No idea how competitive that is, and I wouldn't be shocked if the ad was also placed at other Canadian law schools.

I guess, long story short, don’t plan on getting an entry level position in London practicing UK law out of U of T. But it’s possible down the line.

Edited by onepost
  • Like 2

In my humble opinion, a Magic Circle practice isn't a great long-term strategy.  I would have loved to go work for Slaughter & May, but I made what I thought was a practical decision to stay here and have only been reinforced in that belief since.

Consider:

1) You'll not only have to requalify if you ever come home, you'll literally have to re-learn all your skills and re-establish your working knowledge of industry practice.

2) Cost of living versus salary is even more slanted than NYC and you might not bank as much as you would there.

3) A substantial population in those firms will be members of an actual, established upper class.  It's a strong possibility that you may never truly be accepted as partnership material.

4) #3 is reinforced by the fact that many/most of your colleagues will have gone to public school (i.e., private school) and benefit from that network of potential clients operating in the upper levels of society.  You will have to get out and hustle just to come in a distant second to any of them.  It could serve as an excellent pretext to exclude you --- and maybe even a legitimate business reason.

5) You'll leave your network behind in Canada; and then if you come home you'll leave a second, fledgling network behind in the UK.  You may have to re-start your career three times.

If you plan on going because it'll be a riot and an awesome resume point and maybe you'll meet someone with a sexy accent, by all means.  But as a strictly financial proposition I'd discourage it.

• Like 3

A common retread on the website, I'm sure - but what neighbourhoods should I consider during my housing hunt?

Annex for ease of access. Village outskirts for price and comfort (albeit, don't cross through certain parks at night). Downtown core if you're made of money and like to hustle and bustle. St Claire west if you don't like the downtown hustle but want ease of access. Anywhere bloore west for the point above if you're made of money.

• Like 1