Sign in to follow this  
Phoenixorionn

any thoughts on Windsor vs Victoria?

You should go to school where you want to work. Presumably, if you want to work somewhere in Ontario, it would be best to go to Windsor rather than UVic, otherwise, it may be more difficult to network and interview/find out about future positions.

17 minutes ago, Phoenixorionn said:

I live in Toronto, trying to figure it out. Would appreciate any thoughts?

I have been to neither city, but according to everyone who has Victoria is the more beautiful city by far.

But you're going to law school, not being a tourist.  If you want beauty go take a vacation.  The inside of one schoolroom is pretty much like any other.  In this case I assume you're more likely to want to return to southern Ontario once you graduate.  In that case Windsor is both substantially closer, but Windsor grads are a much better known commodity amongst employers, and your school career office will be much more helpful in helping you to obtain articles.

However if you've been admitted to the Dual JD Windsor program the very high tuition may change this analysis.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Malicious Prosecutor said:

I have been to neither city, but according to everyone who has Victoria is the more beautiful city by far.

Damning with faint praise - their are cities in war zones that are more beautiful then Windsor.  And, speaking of war zones, it's across the river from Detroit.  

Both are good schools, Vic is cheaper, Windsor is in Ontario.  If you want to work in Ontario, I'd probably go with Windsor (provided we're not talking duel degree).  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, maximumbob said:

Damning with faint praise - their are cities in war zones that are more beautiful then Windsor.  And, speaking of war zones, it's across the river from Detroit.  

Both are good schools, Vic is cheaper, Windsor is in Ontario.  If you want to work in Ontario, I'd probably go with Windsor (provided we're not talking duel degree).  

Alright alright, enough with the Windsor bashing. Seriously though, It's a make-your-own fun town with a cheap cost of living, and Detroit provides awesome concerts and sporting events. I know I miss $4.50 pints of craft beer on tap and paying 600 bucks a month for a decent 1 bedroom seconds walking to the school. It has its charms, but you gotta know where to go and have a good group to go with, which Windsor Law provides. 

Alas, it really comes down to where you want to practice. 

• Like 1

UVic. There was a thread on here a few years ago where a Windsor student was crying because no one rated their school. I distinctly recall them referring to western students as "shiny".

On 24/01/2018 at 12:23 AM, Phoenixorionn said:

why so incredulous? just reputation and ranking stuff or other stuff?

Windsor is really grim and the law school has a mediocre reputation. Victoria is pleasant, with a milder climate, and the law school has a better reputation. For me it would be an easy decision.

1 hour ago, secondchance said:

Windsor is really grim and the law school has a mediocre reputation. Victoria is pleasant, with a milder climate, and the law school has a better reputation. For me it would be an easy decision.

Well, Windsor is grim, and Victoria is pleasant - if you don’t mind being perpetually damp - beyond that.... law school reputation isn’t really meaningful.  As a school, I can’t really think of anything to distinguish between UVic and Windsor (or Ottawa or Queens or Dal or a half dozen other Canadian schools).  They all kinda blend together.  But, if you want to work in Ontario, Windsor is in Ontario, UVic isn’t.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maximumbob said:

Well, Windsor is grim, and Victoria is pleasant - if you don’t mind being perpetually damp - beyond that.... law school reputation isn’t really meaningful.  As a school, I can’t really think of anything to distinguish between UVic and Windsor (or Ottawa or Queens or Dal or a half dozen other Canadian schools).  They all kinda blend together.  But, if you want to work in Ontario, Windsor is in Ontario, UVic isn’t.  

John Borrows? 

Thats the only thing I know about UVic Law. 

On 2018-01-22 at 11:57 PM, whoknows said:

and Detroit provides awesome concerts and sporting events.

I hope you’re not talking about the Red Wings because they definitely do not provide awesome sporting events - unless you consider watching them lose all the time to be an awesome sporting event?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, PerniciousLaw said:

I hope you’re not talking about the Red Wings because they definitely do not provide awesome sporting events - unless you consider watching them lose all the time to be an awesome sporting event?

Sens fan...talk of constantly losing....glass houses. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, whoknows said:

Sens fan...talk of constantly losing....glass houses. 

Never claimed Ottawa was a host to awesome sporting events. 

3 hours ago, PerniciousLaw said:

Hey, Detroit hosted the greatest fight of all time.  

19 minutes ago, PerniciousLaw said:

This could be true. But I am simply saying the Red Wings do not provide awesome sporting events. 

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2017/league :) 

Red Wings are half the teams playing hockey at a given time. There's also Lion's Games, Tigers games, Michigan/Michigan St. Games. 

Edited by whoknows

59 minutes ago, PerniciousLaw said:

This could be true. But I am simply saying the Red Wings do not provide awesome sporting events. 

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2017/league :) 

When was the last time Toronto, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, WInnipeg or Montreal won a Stanley Cup?  1993, right?   The Red wings have won 4 since then. The Red wings may be an old hated Norris Division rival (one of the highpoints of my youth was Nikolai Borschevsky scoring the game 7 overtime winner to knock Detroit out of the playoffs), but they've been a much better hockey team (and probably the best managed hockey franchise in the league) over the past couple of decades years than most of the Canadian teams.  

Now, if you wanted to give the Lions grief...

• Like 2

Windsor. Closer to where you want to work and is a fine city for nightlife. The Windsor student body is tightly knit, since most people are commuters, so there is always a party or event to attend if you want. It is also an extremely cheap city, which is nice when you are student. Additionally, Detroit is a fun place (notwithstanding what people who have never visited say). Lots of cheap food, booze, music and sporting events. Also, Windsor actually places decently well on Bay for being a school that has a much larger focus on criminal law and social justice than a lot of other schools (see for instance http://ultravires.ca/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Recruitment-Special.pdf), and even with that focus, you will still find that there are ample corporate law courses to fill your schedule and will not feel like it is lacking in that department. OP, not sure if you want to do the big Toronto firm thing or not, but if you want to, you can certainly get there at Windsor.