Sign in to follow this  
BlockedQuebecois

Ask a 1L — 2018 Edition

13 hours ago, Rose12 said:

How competitive are the intensives/clinics? Do most people get into them or is it really selective? I'm specifically interested in the crim one, but would be interested to know in general as well what the odds are of getting into them!

I think this depends on the clinic/intensive. All of the business clinics/intensives are very competitive (e.g., Osgoode Business Clinic and the Advanced Business Law Workshops). 

I am not familiar with the Crim clinics/intensives but I know that CLASP/PBSC were competitive in 1L (especially in first semester). A lot of people did not get an offer from CLASP in the Fall semester but did get an offer in the Winter semester. In the end, I think most people end up with something. 

For clinics in first semester, your resume and specific clinic application will determine whether you get an offer or not. In second semester, your first semester grades will also be added to that mix. For example, if you are applying to the Advanced Business Law Workshops in the second semester of 1L, your first semester grades will play a huge role in determining whether or not you get the workshops. Hope that helps!

I'd also add that these comments are based on my experiences. Someone please correct me if I am wrong! :) 

1 hour ago, LivePumpkin said:

For clinics in first semester, your resume and specific clinic application will determine whether you get an offer or not. In second semester, your first semester grades will also be added to that mix. For example, if you are applying to the Advanced Business Law Workshops in the second semester of 1L, your first semester grades will play a huge role in determining whether or not you get the workshops. Hope that helps! 

Thanks for the info! Is there anything specifically they'd be looking for on a resume? Is it important to have work/volunteer experience in the clinics area? 

On 4/21/2019 at 5:00 PM, Rose12 said:

How competitive are the intensives/clinics? Do most people get into them or is it really selective? I'm specifically interested in the crim one, but would be interested to know in general as well what the odds are of getting into them!

This is from personal experience having applied to an intensive and also being on the clin ed committee, they are fairly competitive! Some of the ones like CLASP/Crim are popular, and you should keep that in mind. 

I can't give you statistical odds, but most of the people I knew got at least one of the clinics/intensives they applied to.  

Hope this was helpful!