BlockedQuebecois

Ask a 1L — 2018 Edition

On 8/23/2018 at 9:58 AM, tommygun said:

What do people normally wear to the Dean's reception? Like for girls is it cocktail dresses or long dresses? 

We wore cocktail dresses.  Have fun!

On 1/21/2018 at 11:39 PM, ProdXO said:

Hi!

I was hoping you could speak to the student culture at Osgoode. I’ve heard stories of ultra-competitive, vile students and an overall harsh environment. Does it depend year to year or is that more of the culture at Osgoode? 

In terms of student life, do students spend most of their time on campus or simply go to class and leave? Do you get a sort of “community” feeling or not at all? I’ve heard York is a very disconnected, commuter school and I guess I’m wondering if Osgoode is like that too in your experience. 

Thanks for your help ! 

Jumping in so I can hopefully help dispel this myth a bit. I'm a 2L student at Osgoode, and I've found the school to be one of the most welcoming, inclusive legal communities I've come across. The culture does change a bit year to year (imo), but in first year students generally stick to their sections and are understanding of the many stresses that pop up either individually or as a group. [By the way, when I say the culture changes, I generally mean that instead of bonding with your section, you generally start to branch out and spend more time with people who are interested in the same type of law as you.]

It can definitely be a hard program (just like any other law school, I'm sure) but I've found that the friends you make, whether it be section acquaintances or a solid friend group, want to help you rather than impede you as a competitor. For my section, it was very much of a "we're in it together" type mindset. 

I don't know too much about York itself; I pretty much stick to Osgoode Chambers and the school, but in between the two there's a great communal vibe. 

• Like 3

Can anybody who's been through the January portion of ELGC give some details on what to expect? Like what are the general topics? How do the case studies work? and whether we can chose our own essay topic or if its given to us?

Thanks

• Like 1

On 2/25/2018 at 5:00 PM, BlockedQuebecois said:

@ZineZ covered off basically everything else in your post, but I'll expand on their response to this question. 

You'll have the opportunity to volunteer with some clinics early in first year, with applications due right around the start of September. I know CLASP, the Osgoode business clinic, and Parkdale all took on first year students, but those are the only ones I remember. Those either run the whole year (OBC and Parkdale) or 1 semester (CLASP). 

Then, as Zine said, you'll have the chance to apply at the end of January to the whole slate of clinics (less the IP one, because you need to be a third year for that). You'll need a resume and your transcript for every one, and basically all of them will require a cover letter too. Some require you to answer some questions. I know CLASP,  Parkdale, Criminal Law Intensive, International Law Intensive, and the Innocence project all do interviews. I don't think any of the business ones do. I'm not sure about the others. 

If you end up applying to any and getting an interview, ask around with upper years about what they're like. 

Note that a lot of them are very competitive, and some care a lot about your grades. There were a lot of sour grapes when acceptances came out this year. 

Hi BQ, 

Just wanted to know what you meant by this. Sour grapes for those not accepted to the clinics and intensives? 

Are these clinics and intensives the same as the 1L summer jobs we are supposed to apply for or different? Is it based on undergrad grades or 1L grades?

Thanks

Hello BQ, I have been accepted yesterday for the class starting this fall! Have gone through this thread and it's extremely informative indeed. I am from India. 

Among other options, I want to target NYC biglaw (transactional) as well. I have an MBA from an Indian school and have had more than 7 years of experience in large energy companies and in the last few years as an entrepreneur as well. I have seen that most who have landed NYC gigs have top grades and many of those are JD/MBAs. I am okay with that idea and would apply to Schulich but was wondering if I need to do a JD/MBA to gain the apparent edge for NYC given that I already have one MBA (but not from a Canadian school). Any inputs would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Hi, I  wonder will Osgoode cancell classes in a horrible blizzard weather such as in recent days? If they won't or if it's a relatively mild snow day, will it  be a huge problem for people who live outside the campus and take the subway to school? Will it be super troublesome and even affect daily schoolwork?

Because a friend of my parents has a spare condo in downtown Toronto and he can let me live there for free, I wonder would there be some problems if I choose to live in downtown? I have heard that living on campus is very boring, but it is really good for learning (for example, people can stay in the library as long as they want and hardly waste time on commuting). I would like to enjoy the excitement and convenience of the dt area, but I really want to know if I live outside the campus and getting a one-way commute which is close to 50 minutes every day, will it be bad for 1L learning? Dose 1l workload and various arrangements require students to spend time inside the school as much as possible?

Thank you!!!

Edited by Nachklang

19 minutes ago, Nachklang said:

Hi, I  wonder will Osgoode cancell classes in a horrible blizzard weather such as in recent days? If they won't or if it's a relatively mild snow day, will it  be a huge problem for people who live outside the campus and take the subway to school? Will it be super troublesome and even affect daily schoolwork?

Because a friend of my parents has a spare condo in downtown Toronto and he can let me live there for free, I wonder would there be some problems if I choose to live in downtown? I have heard that living on campus is very boring, but it is really good for learning (for example, people can stay in the library as long as they want and hardly waste time on commuting). I would like to enjoy the excitement and convenience of the dt area, but I really want to know if I live outside the campus and getting a one-way commute which is close to 50 minutes every day, will it be bad for 1L learning? Dose 1l workload and various arrangements require students to spend time inside the school as much as possible?

1. LOL, this blizzard was not a big deal. Snow days won't happen unless your professor's car gets stuck. I wrote exams the day after a big snowstorm. You'll figure it out. No it won't affect anything unless you're incapable of preparing to leave a bit earlier in case traffic's bad.

2. Live at the place that's free. There's no other consideration that can outweigh free room and board. No, a commute won't affect your learning unless you're incapable of opening a laptop or textbook on a bus or subway. You'll figure it out.

Edited by FineCanadianFXs

16 hours ago, FineCanadianFXs said:

1. LOL, this blizzard was not a big deal. Snow days won't happen unless your professor's car gets stuck. I wrote exams the day after a big snowstorm. You'll figure it out. No it won't affect anything unless you're incapable of preparing to leave a bit earlier in case traffic's bad.

2. Live at the place that's free. There's no other consideration that can outweigh free room and board. No, a commute won't affect your learning unless you're incapable of opening a laptop or textbook on a bus or subway. You'll figure it out.

Thank you very much. Your suggestion is very helpful to me! I have some other questions then and I will be very grateful if you can answer them.

1. If I am late or miss most of the class because of traffic jams on a blizzard day, will the professors understand? Can I make up for what I didn't hear by borrowing notes from my classmates?

2. Although the free housing is very attractive, I am still a bit worried about whether the long commute time required by it is manageable for 1L learning.Could you please tell me what life is like for a typical 1L student? How busy and hard is IL life? Besides studying, do 1L students still have time to live their own lives, such as hanging out in the city with friends?

3. I know that most of the 1L classes are from early morning to noon or from morning to afternoon. After class, do people usually go to the library for the rest of the day or stay in the library for a while and then go out for other activities? Does Oz has a lot of activities hold on campus every week?

4. I also heard that living in Chambers is good for making friends and Chambers is just like Oz's community. If I I don't live there, will it be hard for me to integrate into the Oz community?  Do I need to take some extracurricular activities to make up for this?

Thank you again!

Edited by Nachklang

6 hours ago, Nachklang said:

1. If I am late or miss most of the class because of traffic jams on a blizzard day, will the professors understand? Can I make up for what I didn't hear by borrowing notes from my classmates?

It sounds like you are genuinely worried about blizzards. This is not a concern. First, nobody cares if you're late to class or there are at all, except you. There is no attendance, with the exception of ELGC (a limited three week or-so course). Second, whether or not you can keep up aftermissing a class is 100% up to you, and there's nobody who can answer that question for you. I didn't miss many classes, but when I did it was not a big deal. Keep up with your readings and the missed class will have little effect unless you did not understand the readings.

2. Although the free housing is very attractive, I am still a bit worried about whether the long commute time required by it is manageable for 1L learning.Could you please tell me what life is like for a typical 1L student? How busy and hard is IL life? Besides studying, do 1L students still have time to live their own lives, such as hanging out in the city with friends?

It is manageable. How you balance your social life depends 100% on you. An hour commute a day is, again, not a major concern. People survive law school with part-time jobs, children, and other significant time-constraints.

3. I know that most of the 1L classes are from early morning to noon or from morning to afternoon. After class, do people usually go to the library for the rest of the day or stay in the library for a while and then go out for other activities? Does Oz has a lot of activities hold on campus every week?

Everyone does their own thing. Some people study in the library. Some people study at home. There are lots of events. Nobody is required to participate in all of them. As a commuter, I spent a lot of time on campus some days, and other days I got the heck out of there. As I noted earlier, you will figure it out.

4. I also heard that living in Chambers is good for making friends and Chambers is just like Oz's community. If I I don't live there, will it be hard for me to integrate into the Oz community?  Do I need to take some extracurricular activities to make up for this?

Living in Chambers has its positives and negatives. Yes, you will be surrounded by other law students. This may make it easier to make friends. Or enemies! Who knows? By being on campus 24/7, you will also be unable to escape the anxiety of exams and the drama and gossip of residence life--or at least it will be more difficult than if you were living off-campus.

Again, I have no idea how good you are at making friends, so answering this question is impossible. But because this seems like a concern for you, I'll hazard a guess that yes, you should engage in extracurricular activities---those which are of genuine interest to you---if you want to integrate into the community. If you show up to class, then leave to go home immediately afterward, you'll meet nobody and in turn, nobody will know you. I was a commuter. I was heavily involved in the Oz community. I made a lot of friends. It wasn't hard. I'm not some super extroverted person.

Edited by FineCanadianFXs
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, FineCanadianFXs said:

It sounds like you are genuinely worried about blizzards. This is not a concern. First, nobody cares if you're late to class or there are at all, except you. There is no attendance, with the exception of ELGC (a limited three week or-so course). Second, whether or not you can keep up aftermissing a class is 100% up to you, and there's nobody who can answer that question for you. I didn't miss many classes, but when I did it was not a big deal. Keep up with your readings and the missed class will have little effect unless you did not understand the readings.

It is manageable. How you balance your social life depends 100% on you. An hour commute a day is, again, not a major concern. People survive law school with part-time jobs, children, and other significant time-constraints. 

Everyone does their own thing. Some people study in the library. Some people study at home. There are lots of events. Nobody is required to participate in all of them. As a commuter, I spent a lot of time on campus some days, and other days I got the heck out of there. As I said earlier, you will figure it out.

Living in Chambers has its positives and negatives. Yes, you will be surrounded by other law students. This may make it easier to make friends. Or enemies! Who knows? By being on campus 24/7, you will also be unable to escape the anxiety of exams and the drama and gossip of residence life--or at least it will be difficult.

Again, I have no idea how good you are at making friends, so answering this question is impossible. But because this seems like a concern for you, I'll hazard a guess that yes, you should engage in extracurricular activities---those which are of genuine interest to you---if you want to integrate into the community. If you show up to class, then leave to go home afterward, you'll meet nobody and in turn, nobody will know you. I was a commuter. I was heavily involved in the Oz community. I made a lot of friends. It wasn't hard. I'm not some super extroverted person.

I really appreciate your detailed and patient reply, it really helped a lot!
Because those cities I have stayed in before never snow in the winter, I just can't help but worry about the the snow days  when I  saw the recent news reports about the blizzard and bad traffic in Toronto. But since you've made it clear it's not a big deal, I feel less worried now.
In addition, I have lived on campus all my undergraduate years, so I don't know much about commuting life  and just worried about it. Moreover, a friend of mine who goes to NYU told me that law school was so stressful that she spent almost all day either in the classroom or in the library when she was a 1L. Her words gave me some preset fears about 1L, but your response helped me relax a lot.
Thank you again for your help. Wish you a happy day : )

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best floor to live on in Osgoode Chambers and why? And are the apartments facing the street better than the ones facing the back? 

Thanks for your help! 

6 hours ago, HopefulLawStudent1 said:

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best floor to live on in Osgoode Chambers and why? And are the apartments facing the street better than the ones facing the back? 

Thanks for your help! 

Hey!

Facing the street you hear a lot more noise, my friends have said they can feel car vibrations at night. But you dont normally get to specify that much, and I think if youre on a higher floor this isn't as pertinent.

I think which floor depends on what you like. When you live on the 3rd or 4th, you have to walk in through a main entrance, and it is more like an apartment. On the 1st and 2nd, you have your own entrance, so it is more like a townhouse, which I prefer. But it can be a plus to live on the inside if your friends are all there as well and you can just move through the inside building to each others' places, instead of having to leave yours and go through the main entrance and up to their place. 

Caveat, I dont think these are really imperative though, I think you will have the experience you make of it.

8 hours ago, HopefulLawStudent1 said:

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help! 

Live on the 4th floor if you can, that way you dont have to deal with people bumbling around in their apartments above your head. (Seriously the walls are thin and my upstairs neighbour seemed to enjoy thumping around in the middle of the night LOL)

Ask for one of the outside facing apartments at 18 Passy. By far the best deal you'll get - easy access to the parking lot, quieter since you're not on the road and your apartment opens up on a park - which is wonderful over the summer. Multiple people own BBQs and it can be fantastic. 

Hi, I just had a few questions about housing.

First, Osgoode/York still haven't released Email accounts/a method to apply for housing. Am I just a little too jittery and this is expected and the information will be released later?

Second, I noticed in the pictures introducing the passy lane apartments (Osgoode chambers) that there were two styles of the one bedroom apartments, and in one of the pictures there seemed to be a staircase within the apartment. Is this the difference between the normal one bedroom apartments and the large one bedroom apartments?

Thank you!

1 hour ago, jxu said:

Hi, I just had a few questions about housing.

First, Osgoode/York still haven't released Email accounts/a method to apply for housing. Am I just a little too jittery and this is expected and the information will be released later?

Second, I noticed in the pictures introducing the passy lane apartments (Osgoode chambers) that there were two styles of the one bedroom apartments, and in one of the pictures there seemed to be a staircase within the apartment. Is this the difference between the normal one bedroom apartments and the large one bedroom apartments?

Thank you!

1 Bedroom Larges are an obnoxious amount of space, they're double the size of a normal one bedroom and bigger than most condos downtown. But they're really hard to get because of the demand. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ZineZ said:

1 Bedroom Larges are an obnoxious amount of space, they're double the size of a normal one bedroom and bigger than most condos downtown. But they're really hard to get because of the demand. 

Hi ZineZ,

Thanks for the reply, I am asking since both my girlfriend and I are planning on going to Osgoode, we were thinking of getting the larger ones due to the increased amount of space. Is this a reasonable arrangement? Or will the normal one bedroom be enough? Also, since you mentioned that there is a high demand, does that mean that most of them are taken up by the upper years?

Thank you!

1 hour ago, jxu said:

Hi ZineZ,

Thanks for the reply, I am asking since both my girlfriend and I are planning on going to Osgoode, we were thinking of getting the larger ones due to the increased amount of space. Is this a reasonable arrangement? Or will the normal one bedroom be enough? Also, since you mentioned that there is a high demand, does that mean that most of them are taken up by the upper years?

Thank you!

If there's two of you, I'd definitely go for the 1 bedroom large if you can get it. But you should get that application in and I'd also recommend emailing them and just explaining WHY you need the 1 bedroom large. It would easily be enough space for two and also give you some breathing room during exams. 

So it's kind of unknown how they hand out the apartments. There were some who put their names on and had to wait, and I also know two who just got them in 1L at the beginning. There are two emptying out this year I think, which will help

Also, no 1L takers to do this year's thread? Happy to keep this one going but it would be great if someone could step up and pay it forward. You'll get assistance from the upper years.

• Like 1

How competitive are the intensives/clinics? Do most people get into them or is it really selective? I'm specifically interested in the crim one, but would be interested to know in general as well what the odds are of getting into them!