Sign in to follow this  
BlockedQuebecois

Ask a 1L — 2018 Edition

On 3/14/2018 at 12:24 PM, p1230 said:

Hey! 

Thanks for making this thread, super helpful :) 

Looking at Osgoode's website, I see that there are opportunities for exchange for second and third year students. I'm not sure how much you know about this topic, but are there any disadvantages of going on exchange for a semester during the program? Do a lot of students go? Does it get in the way of important classes/deadlines etc.?

Thanks!

A lot of students go on exchange in third year, especially if they've secured a position during the 2L recruit. It won't conflict with any important/necessary courses if you plan for it, but there are obvious tradeoffs (you may not be able to do certain clinics if you're going on exchange, you can't run for certain student government positions, etc). 

What it may get in the way of is finding a job, which is why students tend to go in third year. If you want a job during 2L summer and your strikeout in 2L recruit, an exchange during second semester would make you miss the chance to apply for the many jobs that pop up during the winter term. Same in 3L with the articling recruit, if you missed during 2L. I chose not to apply for exchange next year, because I wanted to be able to apply for those 2L jobs if I miss during the 2L recruit. 

Hope that answers your question!

• Like 2

On 3/13/2018 at 10:54 PM, Lawstudent50004 said:

Thanks for the info! What are the participation marks like in ELGC? Is it more about speaking and asking questions during lectures? Also what is a moot like? Do you work with a group, or is it individual based? 

Did you take the legal theory seminar, or opt for the perspective seminars? If so, what was your experience? Sorry for all the questions... thanks again! 

They were mainly just for showing up. You won't need to speak or ask questions, though ELGC is the class that seems to inspire the most discussion. 

For the moot we worked in groups of 4 or 3. It's not a real moot, because you're not presenting substantive legal arguments. Instead you're making a pseudo-ethical/pseudo-legal argument. The other weird thing is that not all group members need to speak. Overall, I didn't find it that useful. It doesn't force the students who need to improve their oral advocacy to try, so you just end up with the strong speakers speaking for all the groups. 

I took a perspective seminar, so I have no idea what the legal theory seminar is like (it's not terribly popular). I've loved my seminar, and it's nice to have a smaller group size for one class. 

I fully endorse @ZineZ and @healthlaw's answers for both. I have a friend working at Parkdale this year and a friend working with CLASP; they both love their experiences.

I think you would be hard pressed to volunteer with both, since it's a fairly large time commitment (CLASP in particular, I think? ZineZ can call me out if I'm wrong). Parkdale is also downtown, so you have to add travel time to volunteer work with them.

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2018 at 7:39 AM, 1234abcd said:

Approximately how many international students does a class have? 

Do you mean international students at Osgoode for the full three years? Or exchange students there for 1 semester/year?

If the former, I'm not sure, but not many. Maybe twenty in all three years?

If the latter, probably about 20 per semester? 

1 hour ago, baconandmegs said:

are some of the clinics more competitive to get into than others? If so, which ones are typically the most competitive?

tbh they're all quite competitive.  it's hard for me to say for sure which are the *most* competitive. I was originally going to suggest that it would be CLASP,  Parkdale and the International and Transnational Law Intensive. But then I remembered that Crim and the Business Clinic also get a fair amount of applications.

I don't think I've ever seen stats for this

2 hours ago, ZineZ said:

tbh they're all quite competitive.  it's hard for me to say for sure which are the *most* competitive. I was originally going to suggest that it would be CLASP,  Parkdale and the International and Transnational Law Intensive. But then I remembered that Crim and the Business Clinic also get a fair amount of applications.

I don't think I've ever seen stats for this

ABLWs also get a ton of applicants and mostly accept 3Ls. I think they're all pretty competitive, though in different ways (Parkdale wants to see an interest in their work, while I'm convinced Davies chooses ABLW by picking the top 16 GPAs and sweeping the rest into the shredder). I can't imagine test case litigation wasn't competitive, either. 

There were a lot of sour grapes after clinic selections were released in February. I imagine the same is true at all other law schools, though, so I wouldn't make your choice based on this. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

ABLWs also get a ton of applicants and mostly accept 3Ls. I think they're all pretty competitive, though in different ways (Parkdale wants to see an interest in their work, while I'm convinced Davies chooses ABLW by picking the top 16 GPAs and sweeping the rest into the shredder). I can't imagine test case litigation wasn't competitive, either. 

There were a lot of sour grapes after clinic selections were released in February. I imagine the same is true at all other law schools, though, so I wouldn't make your choice based on this. 

Exactly. I'm fairly certain that there's no way to game the system. 

For anyone reading this thread - just go by the clinics you have a genuine interest in instead. It shows through your applications.

• Like 2

Thanks for your responses :) I really appreciate you taking the time to do this. I'm also wondering about the York gym/althletics...

What is the gym like at York? Is there a good variety of equipment? Is it usually super busy or is it easy to get a workout in at any time of day?

Also, does Osgoode have intramural teams?

Maybe a better question is - Will I even have time to go to the gym once I start law school?

39 minutes ago, baconandmegs said:

Thanks for your responses :) I really appreciate you taking the time to do this. I'm also wondering about the York gym/althletics...

What is the gym like at York? Is there a good variety of equipment? Is it usually super busy or is it easy to get a workout in at any time of day?

Also, does Osgoode have intramural teams?

Maybe a better question is - Will I even have time to go to the gym once I start law school?

The York gym equipment works just fine. It's not new equipment by any means, but it has everything you need. It does get quite busy especially in the afternoon. It tends to be less busy in the morning/ evening. Osgoode does have intramural teams(basketball, volleyball etc.). As for whether you have time to go to the gym, my advice would be for you to make time. You will always feel like you should be studying more and that you are surrounded by people with an absurdly impressive work ethic. Everyone feels that way and you need to continue to exercise/ eat properly so that you can avoid the inevitable burnout. In the long run it is more important that you take care of yourself, and the gym is an excellent way to do that. 

• Like 1

How much time do you spend a day doing work outside of class, realistically? How do you organize yourself to not get too overwhelmed? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lawlova said:

How much time do you spend a day doing work outside of class, realistically? How do you organize yourself to not get too overwhelmed? 

The amount of time you'll need to spend per day is going to vary drastically based on who you are. Some students spend 10+ hours per day on school, 6 or 7 days a week. On the other hand, I spend about 3 to 4 hours per day outside of class, 5 days a week. That obviously varies — I spend 8 hours a day leading up to exams — but 3 hours per day, 5 days a week is in line with my average. I'm sure there are people who do less work than me. You really can't know until you're in the thick of it, but in general I don't think there's a lot to gain from working more than 50 hours per week, inclusive of class time. 

I've never been an overly organized person, so I'm not the right person to ask about organization I typically keep track of assignment deadlines and requirements in my head, and mentally plan out when I'll do stuff. So, for example, I have a 5000 word paper I want to be done by next Tuesday, and a 2000 word factum due for LP on Monday. I've mentally planned to spend 2 hours per day on my essay through Friday, then spend 4 hours on the weekend completing the factum. At that rate, I should have both done by Sunday evening, and I can spend an additional hour marking them up and making final revisions. But none of that's written down or anything, it's just something I've plotted out in my head. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

The amount of time you'll need to spend per day is going to vary drastically based on who you are. Some students spend 10+ hours per day on school, 6 or 7 days a week. On the other hand, I spend about 3 to 4 hours per day outside of class, 5 days a week. That obviously varies — I spend 8 hours a day leading up to exams — but 3 hours per day, 5 days a week is in line with my average. I'm sure there are people who do less work than me. You really can't know until you're in the thick of it, but in general I don't think there's a lot to gain from working more than 50 hours per week, inclusive of class time. 

I've never been an overly organized person, so I'm not the right person to ask about organization I typically keep track of assignment deadlines and requirements in my head, and mentally plan out when I'll do stuff. So, for example, I have a 5000 word paper I want to be done by next Tuesday, and a 2000 word factum due for LP on Monday. I've mentally planned to spend 2 hours per day on my essay through Friday, then spend 4 hours on the weekend completing the factum. At that rate, I should have both done by Sunday evening, and I can spend an additional hour marking them up and making final revisions. But none of that's written down or anything, it's just something I've plotted out in my head. 

Thanks so much! This thread is much appreciated. 

hey! 

I was looking at this year's 1L schedules, and it looks like you get a bit of a choice in the winter semester for what classes you take, I was just wondering how many classes you get to choose and from how many? thanks :) 

22 hours ago, LawSquid said:

hey! 

I was looking at this year's 1L schedules, and it looks like you get a bit of a choice in the winter semester for what classes you take, I was just wondering how many classes you get to choose and from how many? thanks :) 

You only get to choose one class, it's called the perspective option. At the beginning of the year, you'll get to choose between the Legal Theory seminar and waiting to choose a perspective. Most people choose the perspective, and I don't know anyone that took Legal Theory. 

If I recall correctly, there were about 10 options? You rank your choices, and oversubscribed courses have a lottery system.  

On 3/28/2018 at 6:10 AM, LawSquid said:

hey! 

Hey! Just wondering where you saw the 1L schedules. Please share if you get a chance.

I'm thinking over whether I should sell my printer or bring it with me. As a law student, is there a lot of printing you have to do?

Edited by harveyspecter993

11 hours ago, harveyspecter993 said:

I'm thinking over whether I should sell my printer or bring it with me. As a law student, is there a lot of printing you have to do?

It really depends, but I would say I use my printer enough to make it worthwhile. That said, I use a black and white laser printer. Overall, if you already own one, it'll save you money over printing at the library. 

2 hours ago, hdosanjh said:

It really depends, but I would say I use my printer enough to make it worthwhile. That said, I use a black and white laser printer. Overall, if you already own one, it'll save you money over printing at the library. 

I see. Thanks.