BlockedQuebecois

Ask a 1L — 2018 Edition

Hey - me again!

What is the dress code like for the boat cruise and the Dean's Gala? The boat cruise says "semi-formal black and white".... should I take that to mean like professional formal or just dressing up? 

Frankly, how much cleavage is acceptable? I don't have much in my closet in terms of black and white semi-formal attire, so idk if I need to buy something new for this event (i'd rather not). 

7 minutes ago, abasilplant said:

Hey - me again!

What is the dress code like for the boat cruise and the Dean's Gala? The boat cruise says "semi-formal black and white".... should I take that to mean like professional formal or just dressing up? 

Frankly, how much cleavage is acceptable? I don't have much in my closet in terms of black and white semi-formal attire, so idk if I need to buy something new for this event (i'd rather not). 

I think it’s professional formal. A lot of the men I’ve spoken to plan to wear tuxedos. Not sure what women are thinking about wearing...I don’t think you should buy anything new for just one night though!

26 minutes ago, FoG said:

I think it’s professional formal. A lot of the men I’ve spoken to plan to wear tuxedos. Not sure what women are thinking about wearing...I don’t think you should buy anything new for just one night though!

thanks for the response! It looks like I'll have to hit the mall ☹️

1 hour ago, FoG said:

Tuxes seem WAY too formal for the boat cruise. Even the Dean's Gala you could probably wear a nice suit and be fine.

@abasilplant I'm a girl and I'm just planning on wearing nice pants with a bodysuit or something like that for the boat cruise. The venue we go to after is also just a sports bar...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Parvati said:

Tuxes seem WAY too formal for the boat cruise. Even the Dean's Gala you could probably wear a nice suit and be fine.

@abasilplant I'm a girl and I'm just planning on wearing nice pants with a bodysuit or something like that for the boat cruise. The venue we go to after is also just a sports bar...

@abasilplant I’m sure you both probably noticed, but they posted the supplementary guide with clothing recommendations on the Facebook group! 

8 hours ago, abasilplant said:

Hey - me again!

Most guys wear a suit and tie, often not even black and white. Women tended to wear black dresses. There were vastly varying amounts of cleavage. There's no faculty there, just students and O-week leaders, so I wouldn't worry too much.

The Dean's Gala has the Dean and select other administration present, although they leave fairly early. That's the one I would be more conservative for.

I have never seen, in any world, professional or otherwise, where semi-formal means a tux. Wearing a tux on a boat cruise that is a student run activity, and which specifies it is semi-formal, would, in my opinion, be ridiculous.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, erinl2 said:

I have never seen, in any world, professional or otherwise, where semi-formal means a tux. Wearing a tux on a boat cruise that is a student run activity, and which specifies it is semi-formal, would, in my opinion, be ridiculous.

Agreed. Having participated as an O-week organizer and leader numerous times in law school, I emphasize that you can wear whatever you want to these events and nobody should feel pressured to buy new expensive clothes in order to meet what are ultimately unenforced and lax dress codes. Everyone is mostly concerned about making friends and having fun and not at all concerned about what you're wearing.

To be clear, yes, if you show up to the dean's gala in ripped jeans and an old T-shirt, you'll look out of place and your colleagues may judge your decision to do that, as they would if you attended a friend's wedding in the same T-shirt and jeans. But nobody is going to boot you off the boat cruise for wearing black shorts with a white dress shirt  or the aforementioned nice pants + body suit. The key part of the dress code is black and white. Wear whatever makes you feel good about yourself and are comfortable in. 

Edited by FineCanadianFXs

Is it just me that thinks it's kind of stupid they're giving incoming law students anxiety about what to wear/having to buy clothes with the "semi-formal" label or having a "gala?" 

• Like 3

Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything... are any assignments due during orientation or the first week of class? & did any course outlines get released yet?

1 hour ago, retakelsat said:

Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything... are any assignments due during orientation or the first week of class? & did any course outlines get released yet?

My moodle was updated with the state and citizen course outline last I checked

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Timmies123 said:

My moodle was updated with the state and citizen course outline last I checked

Moodle?

11 minutes ago, Inconspicuous said:

Moodle?

ya, this will be the schools online platform to access course outlines, updates, grades, assignments, etc. 

• Like 1

I applied for OSAP but I just received an email fron York saying my tuition is due August 27- is this normal? I thought I had until October something to pay since I applied for OSAP.

1 minute ago, Parvati said:

I applied for OSAP but I just received an email fron York saying my tuition is due August 27- is this normal? I thought I had until October something to pay since I applied for OSAP.

Check your email. I got one a few days ago saying it's due Aug 27, but if you applied for OSAP before June 30, it's due on October 10 or when you receive your OSAP (whichever comes first). 

• Like 1

If you live at Passey is internet provided, or do we have to find our own internet plan?

3 hours ago, tommygun said:

If you live at Passey is internet provided, or do we have to find our own internet plan?

Pretty sure you get York’s wifi there. 

What do people normally wear to the Dean's reception? Like for girls is it cocktail dresses or long dresses? 

On 4/25/2018 at 10:52 PM, ProfReader said:

Of your list, writing style is the least important.  Most exams are garbage stream-of-consciousness writing due to time constraints and the lack of editing time.  Actually answering the question is occasionally a problem, but most people don't totally miss the boat in that way.  The most relevant on this list is issue spotting, but I would put it differently.  Most people spot all of the correct issues, with a possible exception being an issue spotting exam with tons of little issues (often characteristic of a class like torts, as compared to something like constitutional).  With a B exam, most people are spotting the relevant issues and stating the law correctly.  Where A exams tend to be distinguished is in the way that they apply the law to the facts.  They will engage very deeply with the facts and pull every possible relevant fact and use it is every relevant way.  The As also tend to be better at engaging with counter-arguments.  They also tend to not just pull the legal rules out of the cases that were read, but have a superior ability to draw factual parallels between the exam problem and the cases read for class.

I was pretty successful in my 1L exams, and one thing I would like to add to what others have said is to not underestimate the policy questions. Many 1L courses will have 1/2 "policy" (essay-style/open-ended discussion) questions on whether the law should or shouldn't be a particular way and why. I was surprised that the approach of many of my colleagues was to largely wing these questions, relying upon the general knowledge they obtained through revising for the fact patterns.

I would treat these just as seriously as fact patterns in your preparation (i.e., look over past exams, categorize the various "themes" that come up again and again, look for your notes and on the web/news for cases or facts or arguments that speak to these various "themes"). I think there is a serious chance to stand out in the policy answers, which have much more variance than the fact pattern responses. 

• Like 2