Sign in to follow this  
bhaywardio

Privacy Breach?

Did anyone else receive an email from Windsor stating that their application was posted publically and viewed by 30 some students?

I did. 

My friend who's a current student received an email from staff saying a breach of law applicant data took place on the 9th...Which means it took them 9 days to tell us.

Seems everyone got it. I wonder how many were affected. 

Just now, Parvati said:

I did. 

My friend who's a current student received an email from staff saying a breach of law applicant data took place on the 9th...Which means it took them 9 days to tell us.

Apparently the Dean "became aware" on the 16th. So I guess only two days (conveniently sent at 4:15 to avoid answering anyone until tomorrow, I guess). 

2 minutes ago, Parvati said:

I did. 

So about them finding out 2 days ago, on the 16th, is fabricated? 

I also received that email, mine said that the breach took place on the 16th though. 

Does anybody know if there are any potential ramifications that could occur from people having access to this information (name, program, Student Number, OUAC number, gender, birthdate (if provided), LSAC number, decisions (where available), LSAT score, GPA, admit value, and Aboriginal status)?

I also received this email. 

2 minutes ago, Parvati said:

I did. 

It's unfortunate to hear this. 

same here, but i'm not sure if breach actually took place on the 16th, the Dean who sent the email said he became aware of it on the 16th... either way it's just disappointing and pretty careless for a law school

Edited by Lawsandpaws

5 minutes ago, lindsn said:

So about them finding out 2 days ago, on the 16th, is fabricated? 

The Dean may have only been told 2 days ago but the breach itself was on the 9th. According to the email the information was only up for 15 minutes so at least some staff knew on the 9th. So it took 7 days (4-5 work days depending when the breach happened/the Dean found out) for the Dean to be told and 9 for us.

Edited by Parvati

Just now, Parvati said:

The Dean may have only been told 2 days ago but the breach itself was on the 9th. According to the email the information was only up for 15 minutes so at least some staff knew on the 9th. So it took 7 days (4-5 work days depending when the breach was told/Dean found out) for the Dean to be told and 9 for us.

This is insane to me. I don't get how the Dean can not be aware of something that involves informing the Privacy Commissioner for an entire week. 

Just now, LegalArmada said:

This is insane to me. I don't get how the Dean can not be aware of something that involves informing the Privacy Commissioner for an entire week. 

I 100% agree. Especially considering this is a law school...

Just now, LegalArmada said:

I bet you anything that the entire faculty was trying to resolve it, do some investigation etc., before they bring it to the Dean. 

I got the email too. Absolutely ridiculous how much personal information was posted in error. Our names, scores, birthday, gender.. That's a huge mistake to make. 

• Like 1

Hey folks,

In an attempt to keep things in one place, I'm locking this and would ask you to continue your discussion here:

Edit - I've split most of the posts from this thread and merged them with the linked one.