Sign in to follow this  
CelerySoup

Applicant information from Windsor leaked

Just got this e-mail:

"Dear Applicant:

This message is being sent to notify you of a breach of privacy relating to your personal information, contrary to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. On January 16, 2018, I became aware that an employee of the law school had attached a file containing applicant data, in error, to a notice posted on the University of Windsor’s online learning management system. Within 15 minutes the employee discovered the error and removed the file from the notice. During the time that the file was available, it was accessed by 36 law students.
The information contained in the file was a summary of applicant data and included your name, address, program, Student Number, OUAC number, gender, birthdate (if provided), LSAC number, decisions (where available), LSAT score, GPA, admit value, and Aboriginal status.

In addition to ensuring that the file is no longer available on line, we have reached out to the law students who had access to the file to ensure that this breach of personal information is contained and the file deleted. The University has also informed the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario of this breach.

The Faculty of Law and the University of Windsor take our responsibilities to protect student and applicant data very seriously. The Faculty of Law will review its policies around handling student and applicant data and provide additional training to support staff to help ensure that this kind of error does not occur in the future.

On behalf of the University of Windsor, Faculty of Law I would like to express my sincere regret for the breach.

If you would like to discuss this matter or if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected] or Francine Herlehy, Assistant Dean (Student Services) at [email protected]

Sincerely,

Christopher Waters
Dean and Professor"

Did any other applicants get this e-mail? The e-mail is unclear as to the scope of applicants affected.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CelerySoup said:

Just got this e-mail:

"Dear Applicant:

This message is being sent to notify you of a breach of privacy relating to your personal information, contrary to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. On January 16, 2018, I became aware that an employee of the law school had attached a file containing applicant data, in error, to a notice posted on the University of Windsor’s online learning management system. Within 15 minutes the employee discovered the error and removed the file from the notice. During the time that the file was available, it was accessed by 36 law students.
The information contained in the file was a summary of applicant data and included your name, address, program, Student Number, OUAC number, gender, birthdate (if provided), LSAC number, decisions (where available), LSAT score, GPA, admit value, and Aboriginal status.

In addition to ensuring that the file is no longer available on line, we have reached out to the law students who had access to the file to ensure that this breach of personal information is contained and the file deleted. The University has also informed the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario of this breach.

The Faculty of Law and the University of Windsor take our responsibilities to protect student and applicant data very seriously. The Faculty of Law will review its policies around handling student and applicant data and provide additional training to support staff to help ensure that this kind of error does not occur in the future.

On behalf of the University of Windsor, Faculty of Law I would like to express my sincere regret for the breach.

If you would like to discuss this matter or if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected] or Francine Herlehy, Assistant Dean (Student Services) at [email protected]

Sincerely,

Christopher Waters
Dean and Professor"

Did any other applicants get this e-mail? The e-mail is unclear as to the scope of applicants affected.

Received the e-mail as well, thought it was an offer of admission so now I am just more disappointed. 

• Like 6

I got it too. Doesn't seem like a big deal though. I was mostly just upset it wasn't a decision about my application :P

• Like 3

The "admit value" part of the e-mail is the most interesting, to me. I guess 36 law students now know what's going to happen to everyone..

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LegalArmada said:

The "admit value" part of the e-mail is the most interesting, to me. I guess 36 law students now know what's going to happen to everyone..

oh boy oh boy oh boy 

• Like 1

If anyone does have concerns, Dean Waters and Assistant Dean Herlehy are really fantastic people, I wouldn't hesitate to get in touch. 

I also got this. I don’t think that it’s a big deal, but I was dissapointed that it wasn’t a decision on my application! 

• Like 1

Got that email as well. Initially, I thought it was my admission decision they were emailing about, fastest I've ever opened an email. Disappointed

Just got the email as well... My application on myuwindsor is still pending review, so I'm rather curious if Windsor students now know something about it that I don't (not that they'd really care).

Edited by Meiteen7

I'm impressed that they sent out this email instead of covering it up. Props to the administration for that.

• Like 2

I actually feel really bad for the person that messed up. They're in for a long day. 

please consider this my formal request to join the miffed-it-isn't-an-admission-decision club!

I'm also not opposed to a snowden-level leak re: my "admit value" though. I'm currently badgering all my Windsor Law friends to see if they know what's up

• Like 2

I was also part of the breach. I wonder if the fact that our data was being sent somewhere with all of our summarized info means that we have an acceptance coming?

Or, maybe it's just because they were grouping one gigantic rejection pile together. :unsure:

• Like 3

Just now, proflucas said:

I was also part of the breach. I wonder if the fact that our data was being sent somewhere with all of our summarized info means that we have an acceptance coming?

Or, maybe it's just because they were grouping one gigantic rejection pile together. 

Definitely not the former. I got the e-mail and I was rejected yesterday. Windsor had the kindness to send this one, but not a rejection e-mail. 

1 minute ago, proflucas said:

Or, maybe it's just because they were grouping one gigantic rejection pile together. 

I sincerely believe this email is a mass email 

I also received the email.

My heart stopped when it popped up. When I realized it wasn’t a decision and just a security breach of all of my personal information my heart started beating again. 

Edited by account681
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Sara137 said:

I got it too. Doesn't seem like a big deal though. I was mostly just upset it wasn't a decision about my application :P

I feel the exact same haha.

11 minutes ago, anz24 said:

please consider this my formal request to join the miffed-it-isn't-an-admission-decision club!

I'm also not opposed to a snowden-level leak re: my "admit value" though. I'm currently badgering all my Windsor Law friends to see if they know what's up

Do tell if you find out, please. I was curious about this also!

9 minutes ago, proflucas said:

Or, maybe it's just because they were grouping one gigantic rejection pile together. :unsure:

The latter didn't even cross my mind, so uh... thanks for that haha. 

• Like 1