Sign in to follow this  
ZineZ

Ask a 1L — 2017 Edition

What's the parking like on campus? I will most likely be commuting by car and acquiring a parking pass.

Building on what DA2 said - ask for the Passy parking lot. For some ridiculous reason Parking messed up and put a friend of mine in the wrong lot (15 minute walk) 

I really like the Passy lot, but you can also go with a garage that's covered. Arboretum Lane would be the closest one I believe - but it's much more expensive. 

• Like 1

Thanks, DA2. Did you look into scholarship/bursaries options outside of Osgoode?

You're welcome! I didn't look outside of Osgoode for scholarships/bursaries but I know Osgoode does list external funding sources and you can find them under Osgoode's financial services. The banks that tend to give law school loans are professional loans and they are mainly TD, Scotiabank and RBC. And each of these banks have a rep for Osgoode. If you're really concerned about all this don't hesitate to contact Osgoode Financial Services because you can set up an appointment and they are wonderful. They can even help you with the application, etc.

Edited by DA2
  • Like 1

I was hoping to get some feedback about the perspective options offered in the Winter of 1L. Any recommendations?/ Courses to avoid/ Courses that are usually difficult to get because they are more highly demanded etc. Thank you so much in advance. 

I was hoping to get some feedback about the perspective options offered in the Winter of 1L. Any recommendations?/ Courses to avoid/ Courses that are usually difficult to get because they are more highly demanded etc. Thank you so much in advance.

Don't know how it is for Osgoode, but I don't really think you have a choice first year in what courses you take. I believe they are all pre-selected for you by the admin

Don't know how it is for Osgoode, but I don't really think you have a choice first year in what courses you take. I believe they are all pre-selected for you by the admin

Osgoode has a perspective option in second semester, where students get to select a course from a variety of topics.

• Like 1

Osgoode has a perspective option in second semester, where students get to select a course from a variety of topics.

Interesting, I did not know that. That's not the case at some other schools haha. Thanks for the clarification

Don't worry about this until November, but you can check the course evaluations to see how people liked courses. This is available through MyOsgoode once you get a login. It's super useful. 

• Like 1

Don't worry about this until November, but you can check the course evaluations to see how people liked courses. This is available through MyOsgoode once you get a login. It's super useful.

Thanks so much. I'll definitely look into that.

I'm from out-of-province and thus haven't attended any "welcome" sessions for 0L yet. I'm travelling to Toronto this weekend and was wondering what kind of questions/supports you recommend I try to establish while I'm on campus. 

I'm from out-of-province and thus haven't attended any "welcome" sessions for 0L yet. I'm travelling to Toronto this weekend and was wondering what kind of questions/supports you recommend I try to establish while I'm on campus.

It all depends on your interests. Osgoode is a community full of different clubs, activities, etc. And O-week will give you plenty of opportunities to find out about them!

what kind of questions/supports you recommend I try to establish while I'm on campus. 

Could I ask you to clarify this a bit more please? Just want to make sure I understand what exactly you're hoping to achieve :).

Do you mean this in terms of a welcome event happening or -? 

Relatively unimportant question in comparison to the others: am I better off getting a bachelor/studio apartment in Osgoode Chambers (/Passy) or should I bite the bullet and pay the extra $200ish for the 1 bedroom? If any 1L could weigh in on this that would be greatly appreciated!

Also adding: has anyone gone unfurnished and been very happy (or unhappy) with their decision? Is it cheaper to go unfurnished (it doesn't look like it is online, they only have one price)

Relatively unimportant question in comparison to the others: am I better off getting a bachelor/studio apartment in Osgoode Chambers (/Passy) or should I bite the bullet and pay the extra $200ish for the 1 bedroom? If any 1L could weigh in on this that would be greatly appreciated!

Also adding: has anyone gone unfurnished and been very happy (or unhappy) with their decision? Is it cheaper to go unfurnished (it doesn't look like it is online, they only have one price)

Pay the extra cash if you're able to. It's worth every penny - the 1 bedrooms are fantastic. Keep in mind that you're going to spend a lot of your time in these apartments so the extra space is welcome. Most of my friends who went with a bachelor wish they had gotten the 1bedroom instead. 

Unfortunately, you can't get the apartments unfurnished. 

All suites in Osgoode Chambers are furnished. 

Thank you so much, your answers were very helpful. They gave me the option for Unfurnished but I'd assume that's because some other buildings have that option. I have finished my application and put my first choice as a 1 bedroom apartment. Thank you again!

thanks for the feedback all. seems ill get lots of value from welcome week, and some other good afvice received via pm.

Osgoode Chambers do not have unfurnished units but both Assiniboine and Atkinson (both on campus and very close to school) have unfurnished options if you have your own stuff. 

To anyone looking to purchase a parking pass - they are now available for 2017/18

• Like 2

To anyone looking to purchase a parking pass - they are now available for 2017/18

Helpful because the Passy lot sells out and the other lots are.... very far away