AClaw

How does Windsor determine GPA for law school?

I know the school is fairly holistic and the median GPA was 3.12 for the 2016/2017 program. But does the university drop your lowest courses when considering everything in your GPA calculation like UBC, UVIC and the University of Manitoba? Also if anyone could tell me how the dual JD program is at the university please let me know how it is as it's very intriguing to me! Thanks!

7 minutes ago, AClaw said:

I know the school is fairly holistic and the median GPA was 3.12 for the 2016/2017 program. But does the university drop your lowest courses when considering everything in your GPA calculation like UBC, UVIC and the University of Manitoba? Also if anyone could tell me how the dual JD program is at the university please let me know how it is as it's very intriguing to me! Thanks!

It's important to remember that the 3.12 median GPA is just for the Dual program, and not the single program. I don't know about the Dual program, but the Single just takes the OLSAS GPA. I don't think they drop anything, but I could be wrong.

General consensus around here seems to be that the Dual program is an insane amount of money for what you actually get. The American JD that you get isn't that useful because an Ontario JD already gets you pretty far. I'm sure it's a decent program, but the tuition is crazy expensive. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LegalArmada said:

It's important to remember that the 3.12 median GPA is just for the Dual program, and not the single program. I don't know about the Dual program, but the Single just takes the OLSAS GPA. I don't think they drop anything, but I could be wrong.

General consensus around here seems to be that the Dual program is an insane amount of money for what you actually get. The American JD that you get isn't that useful because an Ontario JD already gets you pretty far. I'm sure it's a decent program, but the tuition is crazy expensive. 

Do you happen to know what the median GPA to get into law school in Windsor is?

59 minutes ago, AClaw said:

Do you happen to know what the median GPA to get into law school in Windsor is?

I don't think Windsor advertises theirs. They put a lot of emphasis on their "holistic" application methods. 

Windsor will look at your overall GPA, and if it is applicable, they will look at your last 2.
They stated this once somewhere, but I can't seem to find it right now - perhaps they've updated their website recently. 
So to answer your question, no, they do not do drops. 

On 1/14/2018 at 5:48 PM, lindsn said:

Windsor will look at your overall GPA, and if it is applicable, they will look at your last 2.
They stated this once somewhere, but I can't seem to find it right now - perhaps they've updated their website recently. 
So to answer your question, no, they do not do drops. 

In what situation would it be "applicable" to look at last 2? If they see an upward trend>?

Windsor hasn't stated a cut off or a specific range of GPA they will be looking at.

Even when I spoke to someone at the admissions office, their answer was very vague and did not specify a number. The representative said they put an emphasis on all 7 categories of admissions equally (They're listed on their website) and mentioned how GPA and LSAT are only part of what they're looking for. I was told to focus on all aspects of my application like volunteer, extra curricular and all that. 

Truly holistic if you ask me lol

3 hours ago, castlepie said:

In what situation would it be "applicable" to look at last 2? If they see an upward trend>?

Depends on which gpa is higher, either overall or l2. Upward trends are favourably looked on.