Sign in to follow this  
harveyspecter993

Do Law firms hire incoming ILs in any capacity?

13 minutes ago, Diplock said:

I'm trying to leave you alone because I feel like we had some exchange already that leads you to believe I'm picking on you. But seriously. Saying things like this is begging to be picked on.

Why in the world would you assume that a profession filled with quite genuinely very intelligent people runs on bullshit? Why would you believe that it's all about lying? Why, when the equally available view is simply that we're telling you the actual, God damn truth?

Working at a real job where you learn to deal with real people does teach you transferable skills. It sure as hell teaches you more than hanging around a law office, being basically useless because you can't do anything, and then going home with a stiffy because a partner there finally remembered your name. Where the hell do students get these ideas? Do you really think that highly successful lawyers are so stupid that they would rather employ the kid who is just hanging around rather than the one who has some skills really dealing with people? When people say "it's not what you know, it's who you know" do you realize that saying that presupposes that some very smart people are going to look at you and another candidate one day and say "well, the other one knows a lot more, but this guy we've actually met before so let's hire the ignorant one who we met last year rather than the one who just showed up?" Why would that ever happen?

Get a real job. Learn some real skills. Meet some real people and function in the real world. After you've done that, if nothing else, you'll stop sounding so ridiculous in your assumptions about how things work out there.

You misunderstood what I meant by "bullshitting".

8 hours ago, harveyspecter993 said:

I've checked and Osgoode is part of that LAWS program. I'm not really sure where to go from here. Were you being facetious? 

So basically any job is fine as long as I'm able to i bullshit to employers during the 2L recruit that I gained transferrable skills?

I was thinking of the high schools served by the laws program - the firms hire high school students that are part of that program.

Any job is fine - ideally you would acquire transferable skills, so you wouldn’t have to bullshit people.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, harveyspecter993 said:

I'm not sure there are nuanced definitions of bullshitting. Seriously, though, have you never had a job up until this point? Not in high school or university? You likely have already learned transferrable skills. You don't need to point that out in an interview, and you don't need to bullshit whomever is interviewing you. You are overthinking this. There is no magic solution to getting a job in the 2L recruitment by having the right job in your 0L summer. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, harveyspecter993 said:

If I did, then I apologize. But seriously, part of me does understand why it seems like it is bullshit. Even the people responsible for advising students sometimes treat it like it's just a game. "Do X to get Y." The connective tissue of why an employer would value X is so often left out. So I didn't mean to imply this is something particular to you. It's just the whole thing frustrates me sometimes. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aaronl said:

Another classic from Diplock, what do you know, the high and mighty has decided to cometh down from his throne to teach his peasants a skill into the mastery of life and all its wisdom. Here hee, here hee, all hail douche Diplock and his thin skin, for the word "bullshit" has enraged him so very deeply. 

Oh for fuck's sake, it's "hear ye" and not "here hee." As in "listen up everyone" and not some kind of old-timey LOL. If you're going to be the guy who primarily hangs out here to complain that people with more experience than you have the nerve to assume they do, in fact, know things that your ignorant ass doesn't, then at least try to stop demonstrating your ignorance so clearly while you make that very complaint. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 01/11/2018 at 7:43 PM, harveyspecter993 said:

I was thinking of cold-emailing HR managers at a bunch of biglaw firms in Toronto and asking if there were mailroom/file maintenance type jobs available for the summer. Is that frowned upon? I've also met a partner at a law firm in Vancouver on two occasions. I'm not sure if he remembers me, though we did sit at the same table both times for at least an hour. Would it be improper to cold-email him with my resume and ask for a summer job in his firm's mailroom? Apart from mailroom and file maintenance, what other jobs would potentially be available?

EDIT: I'm asking about the summer before starting law school.

Ok, I think you're saying "is there a possibility of getting ANY small gig in a law office before 1L?" Totally get it, you want to prove you are hard working, make some friends, and maybe get a leg up. We all do.

Some things I was thinking, in no particular order.

Most people, even the mail room person, are overworked and overqualified.

Do you want potential employers to see what a fool you are before going to law school and growing a bit? (assuming you are anything like me)

Get a job that challenges you, that forces you to use your higher order thinking to make it work. Something that will teach you to be fast, creative and calm. Find something in customer service where people may not treat you as kindly as you must treat them.

When we all get out of law school with the same JD, it's going to be the people who can keep it together, make things work and bring in money that are going to stand out.

11 hours ago, aaronl said:

Another classic from Diplock, what do you know, the high and mighty has decided to cometh down from his throne to teach his peasants a skill into the mastery of life and all its wisdom. Here hee, here hee, all hail douche Diplock and his thin skin, for the word "bullshit" has enraged him so very deeply. 

SMH. Who has time for this? Edify or sit down. How are you ever going to get along with a building full of lawyers with this attitude. No one will like you, and worse, no one will help you.

You realize of course that judges are kind of high and mighty throne-ish types that will make your life a terrifying hell if you don't learn to get along.