Sign in to follow this  
ToLawAndLetLaw

Housing

Hey all,

Have read the existing threads on this topic, but was wondering what the consensus was of when we should be looking to rent a place out? Ideally I would have my lease beginning in May. Currently mostly interested in the Homestead properties near the Waterfront or the Metro grocery store.

Would greatly appreciate any info. on this!

If you want to go with Homestead, I would start looking now. They always filled up pretty quickly (I tried getting into the building near Metro but they were always full). I had 2 sets of friends that lived in the Homestead across from metro so I can answer some questions about it!

Before 1L, I started looking around March for a place. I know some people that looked around that time, and then later. Some people looked in the summer as well. It seemed to work out for everyone.

There were also quite a few places that did leases starting in September. I lucked out and got one (in 3L) from September-April, so I didn't have to pay for the 4 months I wouldn't be living there. 

• Like 1

Agreed. Sooner rather than later. It's a landlord's market around Queen's.

If you can afford it (since you mention the water), a place near City Park is ideal IMO.

• Like 1

Before 1L I got my place right at the end of April. I looked at the place I am in now around early-mid February. Both leases started May 1. 

If you are interested in the Homestead waterfront properties, I would reach out to them sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

Rather than make a new thread, I'll just necro this one and ask here. 

Are there any areas in Kingston that should be avoided? I am looking for apartments now, and am completely unfamiliar with Kingston. Is there a specific area of town I should be looking at for apartments, other than downtown and close to Queens of course. Thank you in advance for any replies, the insight is greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

NOP...avoid north of Princess. No need to be that far out and has sketchy areas. The student ghetto has relatively clear boundaries. Lots of reasonable product available. No reason to look elsewhere. 

• Thanks 1

On 2018-02-03 at 2:02 PM, Constant said:

NOP...avoid north of Princess. No need to be that far out and has sketchy areas. The student ghetto has relatively clear boundaries. Lots of reasonable product available. No reason to look elsewhere. 

In undergrad, if anyone mentioned NOP, I would shiver. But then I found, as do many other graduate and professional students, that breaking the boundaries of Victoria, Princess and Barrie actually results in nicer places to live, so long as you don't stray too far. I suggest that living close to the hub is better than living close to the school. Having a less than 5 minute walk to do a quick grocery run or go to the bars is heavenly!

• Like 1

On 2/3/2018 at 9:44 AM, bhaywardio said:

Are there any areas in Kingston that should be avoided? I am looking for apartments now, and am completely unfamiliar with Kingston. Is there a specific area of town I should be looking at for apartments, other than downtown and close to Queens of course. Thank you in advance for any replies, the insight is greatly appreciated!

I would agree more with leafs_law than Constant. There are definitely reasons to look outside of the "University District" but it all comes down to personal preference. I am slightly north of Princess and have a 12 minute walk to school, about 5 minutes to the hub/Metro. I love the location because it is close to everything I need but still quiet. I do not find it to be sketchy at all but may be approaching it from a different perspective than others. 

Having said that, I would highly recommend being within walking distance so when you ask if you should be looking at areas further from Queen's, I would say no. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PurpleGael said:

I would agree more with leafs_law than Constant. There are definitely reasons to look outside of the "University District" but it all comes down to personal preference. I am slightly north of Princess and have a 12 minute walk to school, about 5 minutes to the hub/Metro. I love the location because it is close to everything I need but still quiet. I do not find it to be sketchy at all but may be approaching it from a different perspective than others. 

Having said that, I would highly recommend being within walking distance so when you ask if you should be looking at areas further from Queen's, I would say no. 

Your living situation is what I would consider to be ideal. Thank you for the input, it will definitely help narrow down where to look!

On 2/3/2018 at 9:44 AM, bhaywardio said:

I think a big thing to keep in mind is that "far" and "close" have different meanings in a university city like Kingston. A lot of people would think that a 5-10 minute drive from campus would sound very close. In Kingston, that's kind of far. Kingston is a large city, and most of it wouldn't be ideal for a student solely for proximity reasons. I agree with @leafs_law that it's better to live closer to downtown than to campus, but with the caveat that I generally wouldn't recommend looking further than a 15-20 minute walk from campus.

• Like 2

Anyone want to chime in regards to housing and admission later into the cycle? Im waiting on feb lsat and am wondering what people that were admitted later in the cycle did? Also what about people that were in a different city/couldnt check out the places in person? Thanks

5 minutes ago, yeezy said:

Anyone want to chime in regards to housing and admission later into the cycle? Im waiting on feb lsat and am wondering what people that were admitted later in the cycle did? Also what about people that were in a different city/couldnt check out the places in person? Thanks

I'm not the person you're asking for, but I think the advice I'm about to give you is useful. 

You can look now for places, there is no harm in it. Just don't fall in love. Get a sense of where things are in relation to eachother, what prices are like in certain areas relative to the school etc. You probably won't see a lot of real estate changing hands until after April anyway, when the last batch of students leave town. If it is at all possible, you should arrange to get into town at some point. Are you going to Welcome Day? I'm not sure if it is only meant for those who have been accepted, but if not you would probably benefit from going to town for a few days and checking out some places. If not, you could always try and contact landlords to see if they'd be willing to send you more pictures, or even do a facetime walk through or something. 

5 minutes ago, bhaywardio said:

I'm not the person you're asking for, but I think the advice I'm about to give you is useful. 

You can look now for places, there is no harm in it. Just don't fall in love. Get a sense of where things are in relation to eachother, what prices are like in certain areas relative to the school etc. You probably won't see a lot of real estate changing hands until after April anyway, when the last batch of students leave town. If it is at all possible, you should arrange to get into town at some point. Are you going to Welcome Day? I'm not sure if it is only meant for those who have been accepted, but if not you would probably benefit from going to town for a few days and checking out some places. If not, you could always try and contact landlords to see if they'd be willing to send you more pictures, or even do a facetime walk through or something. 

I imagine it would be difficult for me to get there beforehand. Im in vancouver/victoria and it will be costly + I am doing a couple courses in the summer to finish my degree. I think the more pictures and facetime thing would help for sure. 

I might try and get out there if I am accepted before summer classes, that could be a good option both for looking at apartments and moving some of my stuff down.

3 minutes ago, yeezy said:

I imagine it would be difficult for me to get there beforehand. Im in vancouver/victoria and it will be costly + I am doing a couple courses in the summer to finish my degree. I think the more pictures and facetime thing would help for sure. 

I might try and get out there if I am accepted before summer classes, that could be a good option both for looking at apartments and moving some of my stuff down.

You could always rent a storage locker if you're for sure going and do visit with some stuff in tow. 

May as well just continue this housing thread. I got an email about Housing facts and noticed that 42% of law students live alone. I would much prefer a roommate(s), but is there a reason why such a high percentage live alone? Typically single bedrooms are the most expensive, which is a big reason for me of why I want roommates (I'd also like the company). But maybe people do it because of privacy? or is there another reason?

Essentially what I am asking is for future students, what are your plans/thoughts on this? and for current students what is your experience with roommates/living alone?

I'll be looking for places to live soon it would be nice to hear input on this!

On 2/22/2018 at 10:41 AM, Hockey5200 said:

Or is there another reason?

For current students what is your experience with roommates/living alone?

I would think that one reason is many students don't know anyone in Kingston upon arrival. Lots of people are less comfortable sharing a space with someone they just met online or never met at all. I am aware of students that lived alone in first year and then met some friends that they moved in with for 2nd and 3rd years. Also you have to remember that people are at different stages of life. For example, if you have been working for a few years and living on your own, you might not be eager to seek a roommate when returning to school. 

That being said, people have definitely met on the QL Facebook group before and lived together in first year. Others may know someone in another program or are happy to just move into a place not knowing who they might be sharing it with. 

I have lived on my own for all 3 years. It was definitely more expensive than having a roommate but I don't regret it. I think it comes down to personality. If 42% live alone, presumably that means that more than half of students are looking for a roommate so if it is something that you want, you shouldn't have a problem. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2018 at 7:04 PM, PurpleGael said:

I would think that one reason is many students don't know anyone in Kingston upon arrival. Lots of people are less comfortable sharing a space with someone they just met online or never met at all. I am aware of students that lived alone in first year and then met some friends that they moved in with for 2nd and 3rd years. Also you have to remember that people are at different stages of life. For example, if you have been working for a few years and living on your own, you might not be eager to seek a roommate when returning to school. 

That being said, people have definitely met on the QL Facebook group before and lived together in first year. Others may know someone in another program or are happy to just move into a place not knowing who they might be sharing it with. 

I have lived on my own for all 3 years. It was definitely more expensive than having a roommate but I don't regret it. I think it comes down to personality. If 42% live alone, presumably that means that more than half of students are looking for a roommate so if it is something that you want, you shouldn't have a problem. 

That is a very good point and I am sure that has a lot do with it. I am glad to hear that I won't have a problem finding a roommate(s) for 1L. I do have a couple of friends still in their undergrad I could possibly live with, I am just hesitant because they are in their 5th year and I can only imagine how much they will want to party. 

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it!

On 2/22/2018 at 10:41 AM, Hockey5200 said:

May as well just continue this housing thread. I got an email about Housing facts and noticed that 42% of law students live alone. I would much prefer a roommate(s), but is there a reason why such a high percentage live alone? Typically single bedrooms are the most expensive, which is a big reason for me of why I want roommates (I'd also like the company). But maybe people do it because of privacy? or is there another reason?

Essentially what I am asking is for future students, what are your plans/thoughts on this? and for current students what is your experience with roommates/living alone?

I'll be looking for places to live soon it would be nice to hear input on this!

As a current 1L, I can say I live alone and am in the minority among my classmates. Many people live with roommates, mostly people they met through the Facebook group. So, you'll have no issue finding roommates. Things to keep in mind is to make sure to ask questions. I know people who have had amazing roommate experiences, and conversely people who hate their lives because their roommates are loud, sloppy, or just have a very different lifestyle. So don't jump on the first grouping, take time to figure out if you'll fit together. I'll say I lived with roommates in undergrad and loved it, but since I didn't know anyone coming to Queens, I thought living alone was a safer bet. This turned out to be a good thing for me - 1L tends to be a pretty stressful year, and especially around the time of exams and big assignments, I like being able to go to a space that's 100% my own, without having to see/ talk about the law if I don't want to. But it is much more expensive. And the "university district" (aka student ghetto) can get be pricy, for some pretty dismal conditions. My advice would be it's really convenient to situate yourself closer to the Hub than school - you're still looking at max 20 minutes walk, with a much easier commute to bars/ groceries. I actually live west of campus, however, and found this to be an awesome option. It's much quieter (again, priority for me), and if you're willing to take a 15 min bus ride to campus, you can get a MUCH nicer place for comparable prices.

Also as a follow up, I didn't officially accept Queens until June, so I was a 'late' looker and I still had a good selection of places to look at. You won't get Brock Towers, but lots of independent landlords will post on Kijiji.

Edited by 3rdGenLawStudent
  • Like 1

Thank you for your response I appreciate it!

I would prefer not to live in a "student ghetto" house, as I lived in pretty awful conditions during my undergrad. What would be the average price range for places, that you or people you know have had? I would like roommates, so 2-3 bedroom places? Just so I don't look for places that are way above average