Sign in to follow this  
notcowgirl

Current Canadian Law School Rankings??

45 minutes ago, theycancallyouhoju said:

Harvard.

Yeah 2017 really confirmed that it’s an age thing. 

I was gonna say Harvard. 

I was once briefly head over heels for a guy at Harvard med school before I realized he was a jerk. I still have my Harvard med hoodie though...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, providence said:

You tried to impress women with your law school so you could have casual sex but ended up with a serious relationship? Or you tried to impress women with your law school to get a serious relationship and didn’t end up with one?:)

The ladyfriend and I were already in deep before law school. But I can assure you she was not impressed before or after and remains resolute in her conviction that law school and firms must simply be silly. Which, to be fair...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theycancallyouhoju said:

The ladyfriend and I were already in deep before law school. But I can assure you she was not impressed before or after and remains resolute in her conviction that law school and firms must simply be silly. Which, to be fair...

So you did it right then :)

I’m also guessing you didn’t meet her on Tinder or the equivalent.

Edited by providence
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, providence said:

So you did it right then 

I’m also guessing you didn’t meet her on Tinder or the equivalent.

Of the many blessings, having gotten locked down before my desperation exceeded my shame by enough to install Tinder has to be near the top. I literally cannot imagine how I wold have spoken to a woman on an app. “Hi. I only have your appearances to go on, but let me know if you’d like us to pretend I think it’s really cool you like hiking and tapas bars for the first few messages.” 

• Like 2

Not to hijack the thread, or something, but it’s very strange being right smack in the middle of Generation Tinder without knowing which swipe means what. The whole thing makes no sense to me. Guys who I watched, like me, never be approached by a woman ever tell me of 2-3 dates a week. As someone whose entire theory of interesting a woman was discussion- and food-based, I don’t think Tinder would have gone well. 

25 minutes ago, theycancallyouhoju said:

Of the many blessings, having gotten locked down before my desperation exceeded my shame by enough to install Tinder has to be near the top. I literally cannot imagine how I wold have spoken to a woman on an app. “Hi. I only have your appearances to go on, but let me know if you’d like us to pretend I think it’s really cool you like hiking and tapas bars for the first few messages.” 

I tried internet dating for a while but met my fiancé the traditional way - at a social event where he asked my friend to introduce us.

• Like 1

Other opening line theories:

- “I see you too fear facing the void alone.”

- “Would you prefer we continue my objectifying you over dinner or drinks?”

- “Wait, so you like movies too??”

• Like 3

I asked her if she was impressed I went to UT and work as a shmancy NY corporate attorney. "Sure. In the sense that I used to think only smart people can do those things and now my impression has changed."

I have a strong support network. 

Edited by theycancallyouhoju
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, theycancallyouhoju said:

Other opening line theories:

- “I see you too fear facing the void alone.”

- “Would you prefer we continue my objectifying you over dinner or drinks?”

- “Wait, so you like movies too??”

I think "I'm in law school! I go to U of T!" is supposed to replace all of those. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, providence said:

I think "I'm in law school! I go to U of T!" is supposed to replace all of those. 

If only I'd known women were so intrigued by significant debt, high stress levels and stories beginning "oh this is interesting" that are in no way interesting. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, providence said:

It’s not expensive? :huh: Then how come I can’t afford it?

I suppose the professional LLMs can still be expensive, but even UofT (for the regular LLM), last I saw, was just over $10,000 and other schools are much, much cheaper.  You can also whittle that down.  When I did my LLM (not necessarily at UofT), I taught an undergrad class, which paid about $7,000.  I also did probably $8,000 worth of research work with my thesis supervisor and another prof and did a $5000 contract for government that my thesis supervisor helped me get.  That didn't seem to be out of line with what my colleagues were doing financially, although maybe a little bit on the high side.  I had a generous scholarship specific to my subject area, but I would say that a good proportion of my fellow LLM students had scholarships that were around 1/3 of tuition.  But I was straight out of articling.  From what I gather, you have more mouths to feed than I did :).  

Edited by ProfReader
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

Even the banks rank schools. There was a thread last year about RBC having an A and B list of law schools.

Last I heard this impacts the credit the banks will provide.

22 hours ago, Diplock said:

There is no definitive ranking of Canadian law schools, from "best" to "worst" and such rankings that do exist are created only because people demand them out of ignorance, and then they are based on criteria that almost no one in real legal practice could ever endorse. The "best" law school for you will be highly dependent on your circumstances. And if you want to start a discussion about that decision-making process, here, people will generally be quite helpful. But if you're looking for an American-style list, it isn't going to happen.

A rare miss for Diplock.   In fact, this site has previously been host to the definitive, and methodologically rigorous, ranking of Ontario law schools:  

• Like 1

The most prestigious law school is wherever I attended. I can't actually read my degree because it is in latin but that means it is extra prestigious. The worst school is wherever I was either not accepted or some poster that I dislike attends.

Given that I was accepted everywhere I applied (aka, that 1 school), there are no bad schools.

I would much rather rank gluten-free bread. Or eclectic folktronica albums. Or best weed store names. or legal puns.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, harveyspecter993 said:

Even the banks rank schools. There was a thread last year about RBC having an A and B list of law schools.

All the sarcasm in this thread aside, I don’t believe anyone here thinks that all law schools are in all ways equal. The push back is because it wouldn’t be clear how to make a generally useful ranking, in most respects the schools are close enough to not make the differences obvious, and unlike in the U.S., factors other than ranking will play a more significant role in determining where a prospective student should go.

The last one is the clearest. If you want to be a criminal lawyer in Dallas or a biglaw lawyer in NY, going to Harvard is a pretty good choice. If you want to be a criminal lawyer in Vancouver, it’s not really all that clear that UT - even assuming it is the most prestige-y of the prestigious - is a smart choice. Location plays a bigger role in deterring where the consensus would say you ought to go.

It makes much better sense in Canada to ask ‘given that I’d like to/am open to working in x[, and y], in practice area z, where should I go?’ The second piece will help inform pricing risk - e.g. if you only want to be a corporate lawyer, then the UT/Osgoode debate takes a very different tone than if you want to be a family lawyer. 

Finally, board members have very different opinions on what the value of a law school is. I’m a big believer that every law student is 24+ years old, can learn law school topics on their own/Canadian law profs are all certainly good enough, and therefore applicants shouldn’t think too much about ‘quality of instruction’. On top of that, you’re going to do 98% of your learning on the job, so who cares. To my mind, the point of a law school is to be yet one more entry on your job applicant profile. In other words, start figuring out what jobs you might want before you agree to pay tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars for the product that is a law degree, and pick the law school that gives you the best product for buying the job you want. But - maybe I only think that becaus I’m a solicitor admitted in NY, a body of law for which I had exactly zero law school prep and yet seem to do just as fine as my colleagues from the States. Other people think the best thing you can get out of law school is practical experience and knowledge and thus someone with a crim law interest should seek out the best crim law clinic work, for example.

Tl;dr Go to Harvard. 

Edited by theycancallyouhoju
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, theycancallyouhoju said:

All the sarcasm in this thread aside, I don’t believe anyone here thinks that all law schools are in all ways equal. The push back is because it wouldn’t be clear how to make a generally useful ranking

I figured it was just Canadian politeness.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

Using comparatively few criteria it would be possible to create a useful ranking system. 

3 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

Quite the opposite, at least in my case. I wouldn't say Canadian law schools are similarly prestigious or elite; I would say they all lack prestige and eliteness in roughly equal measure.