Sign in to follow this  
notcowgirl

Current Canadian Law School Rankings??

Just wondering if anybody has an idea of where to find updated/recent Canadian law school rankings? It seems like everything online is really out of date and not consistent. If anyone has any resources or knows anything about this please help! It would be a huge help in deciding which school to attend come September! 

They don’t matter, go to a school in the market you want to work in. U of T, McGill, and UBC have the most flexibility to move to other markets.

• Thanks 1

There is no definitive ranking of Canadian law schools, from "best" to "worst" and such rankings that do exist are created only because people demand them out of ignorance, and then they are based on criteria that almost no one in real legal practice could ever endorse. The "best" law school for you will be highly dependent on your circumstances. And if you want to start a discussion about that decision-making process, here, people will generally be quite helpful. But if you're looking for an American-style list, it isn't going to happen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, generally they don't matter and there are no Canada only law school rankings available. Most Canadian schools now seem to be relying on this: https://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2016/law-legal-studies. As in U of T was advertising their place every year in these rankings (as well they might, since these rankings claim they are the best Canadian school). Canadian law schools are much more regional though, and most of the legal work in Canada is very regionally based, and so there are no real "national" law schools as there are with the US T14s, although Mcgill and U of T would be the closest to that, as well as Osgoode to some extent.

1. U of T
  2. Osgoode
  3. McGill
  4. UBC
  5. Western
  6. Queen's
  7. Ottawa
  8. Alberta
  9. Calgary
  10. Dalhousie
  11. The Rest

This is my own personal ranking of Canadian Law Schools. Is this in anyway scientific? No. 

Edited by harveyspecter993
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

The rankings that you likely found were from Macleans.  The magazine hired an American academic to do those rankings and he applied a methodology that made much more sense in the US context than in Canada.  Here are some concerns with the methodology: http://ablawg.ca/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/blog_aw_law_school_rankings_september2008.pdf.  The many criticisms of this methodology are perhaps, in part, why they haven't updated their rankings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:
  1. U of T
  2. Osgoode
  3. McGill
  4. UBC
  5. Western
  6. Queen's
  7. Ottawa
  8. Alberta
  9. Calgary
  10. Dalhousie
  11. The Rest

This is my own personal ranking of Canadian Law Schools. Is this in anyway scientific? No. 

Um...no.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Thank you all for your replies! It’s good to hear that I shouldn’t pay too much the ranking system online, I kind of assumed the rankings didn’t have much meaning... each one is so different I really didn’t know what to go off of. Appreciate the help :) 

2 hours ago, harveyspecter993 said:
  1. U of T
  2. Osgoode
  3. McGill
  4. UBC
  5. Western
  6. Queen's
  7. Ottawa
  8. Alberta
  9. Calgary
  10. Dalhousie
  11. The Rest

This is the most confusing and unexpected rankings I have ever seen

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, CoffeeandLaw said:

This is the most confusing and unexpected rankings I have ever seen

Is it? Until 5 it's basically that old 20-something McLeans ranking that was pretty infamous. After that, 5-7 all are basically the same so that's not very confusing. The only weird one is seeing Dal so low.

EDIT: not to say I agree with the, or any, rankings, I've just seen close to that list many times in that order.

Edited by Draken
  • Like 2

Here are mine: 

1. University of Windsor, Faculty of Law
  2. University of Western Ontario, Faculty of Law
  3. University of Manitoba, Robson Hall Faculty of Law
  4. University of Victoria, Faculty of Law
  5. University of Toronto, Faculty of Law
  6. University of Saskatchewan, College of Law
  7. University of Ottawa, Faculty of Law
  8. University of New Brunswick, Faculty of Law
  9. University of Calgary, Faculty of Law
  10. University of British Columbia, Peter A. Allard School of Law
  11. University of Alberta, Faculty of Law
  12. Université Laval, Faculté de droit
  13. Université du Québec à Montréal, Faculté de science politique et de droit
  14. Université de Sherbrooke, Faculté de droit
  15. Université de Montréal, Faculté de droit
  16. Université de Moncton, École de droit
  17. Thompson Rivers University, Faculty of Law
  18. Queen's University, Faculty of Law
  19. McGill University, Faculty of Law
  20. Lakehead University, Bora Laskin Faculty of Law
  21. Dalhousie University, Schulich School of Law

As you can see, Windsor and Western are in pretty close competition based upon how close "wi" and "we" are to the end of our English / ISO basic Latin alphabet. And, while it's not methodologically consistent, Manitoba got bumped up to third because Winnipeg is slightly underrated as a city and everyone knows that the West Coast is nice. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Ah yes, the perennial rankings thread where everyone gets mad that the question is asked, for some bizarre reason.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Maverictory said:

Ah yes, the perennial rankings thread where everyone gets mad that the question is asked, for some bizarre reason.

Mad? Or bored and uninterested in an irrelevant topic? What has a "ranking" ever done for anyone's education or career? 

Just now, providence said:

Mad? Or bored and uninterested in an irrelevant topic? What has a "ranking" ever done for anyone's education or career? 

If you're a guy, it helps to know which law school girls on tinder will be more impressed by.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, harveyspecter993 said:

If you're a guy, it helps to know which law school girls on tinder will be more impressed by.

Pretty expensive price to pay for sex....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, providence said:

I think it’s a totally fair question, as new and inexperienced students the first place people often turn is google and the first thing that’ll often come up is those Maclean’s ratings. It’s great to get advice to not pay attention to these rankings, but without hearing that from other people it’s hard to know what to look at when choosing a law school! 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, providence said:

Pretty expensive price to pay for sex....

This is early 20's men we are talking about, no price too high, no bridge too far.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Draken said:

This is early 20's men we are talking about, no price too high, no bridge too far.

Ugh. So glad I deal exclusively with real men now. :)

• Like 1