Sign in to follow this  
nrrrvous

OLSAS GPA & excluded credits

Hi all, just wondering if anyone else has had OLSAS include credits in their GPA calculation that are marked as "Excluded" (or uncredited) on their undergrad transcript. All credits from my first year of undergrad study are marked as Excluded and are uncredited because I transferred programs after second year, but the letter grade is still on my transcript. It looks as though OLSAS has included these grades in my GPA calculation (which isn't great, because they pull my GPA down). 

I've emailed them and haven't heard back yet. Am I doomed to have these credits included, to the detriment of my GPA? Or was this an oversight on their part, and they'll exclude them from the calculation?

Any opinions/advice would be appreciated, as I'm not feeling so great about this situation!

I was never in this situation, so my advice is just from my own understanding of how OLSAS treats grades. 

The short answer is yes, I believe your grades from the first year will be included. Your transcript GPA is calculated for the benefit of your school, so they can determine if you qualify to remain in a program, win an award or grant, etc. Schools may exclude grades from transfers, exchanges or the like because they were not classes taken at the institution, so they count as credits but are not included in the GPA. 

OLSAS is calculating your GPA for an application. They will include all undergraduate grades from all institutions, because law schools want to see how you did throughout university, not just how you did at your most recent institution.

However, I wouldn’t despair if I were you. Many law school applicants have poorer grades in their first year. It’s why many schools also look at B2/L2. They want high performers, but they also look for improvement. If these first year marks drag your overall down, but you performed well in later years, the. You’re in the same boat as many of us who apply and get in to law school. You’ll be fine 

Yes, I also had a C+ that was excluded from my GPA die to extenuating circumstances included and brought me from 3.78 down to 3.73. I asked them about it and they said it's what it is and schools may themselves decide not to include it.