Sign in to follow this  
Valentina

Chances? [OLSAS: 3.58; B3 3.7; LSAT:165]

Hi all! Attempting to predict my chances at getting into U of T with these stats:

- Mature applicant
- OLSAS CGPA: 3.58; B3: 3.7
- LSAT: 158, 165
- MSc. from an Ivy League school
- Worked full-time as a journalist before I joined the UN in a communications role
- Strong ECs and PS (work experience, being an immigrant and mother)

Debating whether I should rewrite the LSAT in February to increase my chances (especially with a weaker, less competitive GPA). Part of me says the 1/3 U of T admissions staff give weight to (i.e. personal statements and life experience) should give me an edge... then the niggling self-doubt interrupts my train of lacklustre convincing! Thanks in advance for weighing in!

52 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

did you apply to other schools?

Only Osgoode, aside from U of T; we recently moved back to Toronto for my husband's job and I'm starting a new role in the provincial government next week. If I don't get into either school for 2018, I'll try again for the year after, with -- hopefully -- a strong(er) LSAT score.

Edited by Valentina

4 minutes ago, Valentina said:

Only Osgoode, aside from U of T; we recently moved back to Toronto for my husband's job and I'm starting a new role in the provincial government next week. If I don't get into either school for 2018, I'll try again for the year after, with -- hopefully -- a strong(er) LSAT score.

You have a very good shot as Osgoode. Toronto may be a bit more a stretch, but I think your chances there are still decent.

11 minutes ago, Nabbo said:

You have a very good shot as Osgoode. Toronto may be a bit more a stretch, but I think your chances there are still decent.

5 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

I think OZ is 100%

UT is better than 50%

Thank you both! I wish predicting were more of a calculable science than a fickle art, so I'd know whether rewriting in February (and scoring higher than 165) would secure me a spot. But other posts -- and my own conversations with U of T admissions -- indicate that they do frown upon 3+ rewrites, unless you score than least 5 points more than the previous test. I've got my fingers crossed though!

I had a 4.0GPA and a LSAT 160, then 165 but only with a BA and less ECs/other experience than you and I got in Jan admissions last year. They started calling Friday, wouldn't be surprised if you get a call this week! 

And definitely for Osgoode. 

• Like 1

Very good chance, I'd say 70-80% likelihood of admission, assuming your (very cool) work experience and background allowed you to write a compelling personal statement. 

What I can tell you is I got in with a worse CGPA, better B3, and the same LSAT (3.55, 3.84, 158/165). Hard to say how much they’d value your ECs, in my opinoin. 

On 1/14/2018 at 11:09 PM, hellokitty123 said:

I had a 4.0GPA and a LSAT 160, then 165 but only with a BA and less ECs/other experience than you and I got in Jan admissions last year. They started calling Friday, wouldn't be surprised if you get a call this week! 

And definitely for Osgoode. 

On 1/15/2018 at 12:51 AM, Prospero said:

Very good chance, I'd say 70-80% likelihood of admission, assuming your (very cool) work experience and background allowed you to write a compelling personal statement. 

On 1/15/2018 at 7:58 AM, hopefulcanadianlawyr said:

What I can tell you is I got in with a worse CGPA, better B3, and the same LSAT (3.55, 3.84, 158/165). Hard to say how much they’d value your ECs, in my opinoin. 

Thank you, all! I got my call on Friday! Very excited for this new journey, especially since U of T was my preferred choice. :D

Oddly enough, haven't heard back from Osgoode... despite the social justice and public interest focus in my ECs, personal statement and optional essay. I suppose I shouldn't have bought into the stereotypes about the two schools (i.e. U of T having a corporate law and numbers focus, and Osgoode taking a holistic view of applications) so readily!

1 minute ago, Valentina said:

Thank you, all! I got my call on Friday! Very excited for this new journey, especially since U of T was my preferred choice. 

Oddly enough, haven't heard back from Osgoode... despite the social justice and public interest focus in my ECs, personal statement and optional essay. I suppose I shouldn't have bought into the stereotypes about the two schools (i.e. U of T having a corporate law and numbers focus, and Osgoode taking a holistic view of applications) so readily!

I got in to Toronto on Friday as well and I haven't heard back from Osgoode either, lol! I suppose we are in the same boat. 

Just now, Prospero said:

I got in to Toronto on Friday as well and I haven't heard back from Osgoode either, lol! I suppose we are in the same boat. 

Congratulations! I suspect it could also be that Osgoode historically receives more applications, therefore taking their admissions staff longer to peruse them? Either way, we made it to law school! :)

Edited by Valentina
  • Like 1