1. Forums

1. 271

Discussions about the forums or the Discord server.

1. General

General discussion about law schools or your applications.

U of T vs. Osgoode, Queens vs. Western, so on and so forth: Get advice about which school is better to go to over another.

Questions, study tips, and general discussion about the LSAT.

Questions about lines of credit, loans, and paying for law school.

For applicants or law students looking to offer books / prep materials for purchase or sale.

1. 913

1. 2.5k

OCIs, summer jobs, applying for articling.

1. Ask a Lawyer

Not a lawyer but have a question about what it's like to be one?

4. 240

1. 6.2k
  • Who's Online   62 Members, 3 Anonymous, 127 Guests (See full list)

• BigRed
    • MedicalCut1002
    • SpecialK
    • 2easy
    • AC23
    • futurreeeelawyerrr
    • bh412
    • grainbin74
    • angel12
    • uhohidk123
    • canlawgirl
    • merryxmas2023
    • helloall
    • chaboywb
    • ArchivesandMuseums
    • utahjazz
    • rsk2024
    • englishmajor
    • GoatDuck
    • kklawkk
    • ilovegilmoregirls
    • NONAMER
    • CleanHands
    • Phaedrus
    • Rigel
    • HWGA3
    • Kimura
    • YikesThatsNotGood
    • luna12
    • Mountebank
    • LegallyBrunette2
    • ellywoodsy
    • poliam
    • dlawgirl
    • JurisPrudent
    • GoWestYoungMan
    • ZineZ
    • HarryCrane
    • TimbitPancake
    • prelaw133
    • heyhey
    • Sparky
    • glyvin
    • BlockedQuebecois
    • Manicero
    • LegallyBrownxoxo
    • Lawhopeful123
    • evergreen
    • Big Pecker
    • jdb96
    • LUCiAN
    • Legalgirl98
    • Lawstudent234
    • Legally Brunette
    • Aporia
    • scooter
    • nothingsforeverdude
    • Ben
    • foddrina
    • obtuse_cream_67
    • X101X
    • Lincoln Lawyer

• Recent Posts

• Lincoln Lawyer
      Wailisted today. Received email and then portal update. Stats: LSAT 160 (Jan 2024) Multiple writes Letter Assigned: A-  Category: Access
    • CleanHands
      You can find this offensive or not, but you acknowledge it's the reality. I personally have the experience of being put in situations where I was asked to do things well above my pay grade on matters of serious import, and it certainly gave me a first hand appreciation of the access to justice problems in certain geographical areas that you allude to. There were times where I felt that I wasn't good enough and the clients deserved better. And I have been 100% crim-focused since the minute I first set foot on a law school campus. Still, it is what it is. And there are some positions that will hire another equally inexperienced person if the OP doesn't apply. It's a systemic issue and nothing is going to change for the worse just because I advise someone without criminal law experience that such positions with such hiring standards exist.
    • Phaedrus
      After brushing up on the basics, I'd do two things: (1) go to arraignment court a lot, and (2) contact legal aid and let them know you're interested in accepting certificates (at least in my jurisdiction they keep an internal roster for clients to consult). For arraignment court days, I would show up early with my Code and offer to speak with anyone that doesn't have counsel. I'd explain what's going to happen that day and, if I have the time, the bare minimums about their charge (e.g., "you're charged with assault. Assault is a hybrid offence, meaning the Crown can proceed by summary conviction - less serious - or by indictment - more serious. If the Crown proceeds by summary conviction, there is maximum punishment of two years' incarceration, a $5000 fine, or both upon conviction. There is no minimum punishment. What's going to happen when you go into court is ..."). This is a very easy way to start drumming up business.   For a lot of us, gaining experience is about knowing our competency level and scope of our criminal practice. Starting off, you'll accept a lot of legal aid certificates and your files will focus on low level or as-close-to-transactional criminal files as you can find: assault simpliciter, theft under $5000, mischief, impaired operation, breach of undertaking/release order, possession of property obtained by crime, and simple CDSA possession until you become more proficient. You'll take on these files for the first year or two until you've cut your teeth and can responsibly accept clients facing more serious jeopardy. The most serious files are culpable homicide files and, I really don't care what people say or think about this, but I won't touch them until I have ~8-10 years criminal experience.  You absolutely need to have a working relationship with a mid-level or senior defence counsel. If you don't know anyone, reach out to your law society and asked to be connected with a practice mentor. My principal was 35+ years at the bar, my current office has a mid-level and senior criminal lawyer, and we have another 40-year veteran in the community I rely on for advice and precedents when I've exhausted what I can figure out for myself. It's really easy to isolate yourself as a criminal lawyer, and because none of us know everything we need to know all the time, it's really important to be intentional about mentoring and being mentored.  I wanted to respond to the above specifically because the idea that someone not competent enough to get practice experience locally can simply accept a remote position is infuriating. To be clear, CH, I know you're not suggesting that but there's a mentality that flows from the reasoning that really rubs me the wrong way. There's a serious access to justice issue for our northern communities (and largely Indigenous clients) and the experiences told to me by colleagues that accepted some of those positions are horrifying. Articling students running contested bail hearings/conducting substantive hearing, <5th year calls running homicide cases, having "senior counsel" with <10 years' experience. There are good offices, for sure, but take a few minutes to look at the combined experience of the legal aid bar in communities like La Ronge and The Pas. I feel for those communities who have to accept parachute newbies who view them as little more than a stepping stone before their real career starts. 
    • Excellent Boiled Potatoes
      Waitlisted for single today B2/L2 - around 3.7 GPA and 161 LSAT I've been accepted to Queen's so I'll most likely be rejecting if I happen to get off the WL.
    • CleanHands
      I agree that people shouldn't ask about hypothetical chances with no LSAT score, but I disagree with the way you framed it. Everyone should aim for a 180 on the LSAT. It doesn't matter that this is unrealistic. It's foolish for people to set arbitrary targets that are anything less than "the best score I can possibly get."
    • NONAMER
      Waitlisted Today. Stats Below: GPA (L2): 4.0 (A+) LSAT (Highest): 149 Category: General Category of Admission
    • Lili
      Hey , not yet . Do you have information of the process ? 
  • Recent Topics

Important Information

By accessing this website, you agree to abide by our Terms of Use. YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOU WILL NOT CONSTRUE ANY POST ON THIS WEBSITE AS PROVIDING LEGAL ADVICE EVEN IF SUCH POST IS MADE BY A PERSON CLAIMING TO BE A LAWYER. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.