Sign in to follow this  
jplawx

Arthur V. Mauro Residence

I have a friend who lives there and I’ve been there. It would be fine except that you have to have a roommate. I’d recommend Pembina Hall (where you don’t have a roommate) ahead of Arthur Mauro any day. Living in PH is basically like having a studio apartment, the only catch being that you’re obligated to subscribe to the meal plan and don’t have a kitchen. Don’t worry, however, the cafeteria at Pembina Hall is actually pretty good.

A sibling of mine of went to UofM and lived in Mauro some years ago, and after visiting I can tell you that

1. I believe most, if not all, of the suites are 2 bedroom.

2. You walk in, there is a small kitchenette area (over or stove, one of the two) with a microwave, fridge etc.

3. from the kitchen, there is 3 doors, 2 of which are to basic standard dorm bedrooms, the 3rd to a full washroom

4. they have a very generic 2010-community centre/hospital vibe

5. each floor had full kitchens with ovens stoves etc.

6. at the time that I went, it was considered to be the best student residence building

Edited by kiyak
grammar error

I've never lived in any of the dorms at U of M, but a friend lived there and it seemed alright. It's set up more like an apartment than the other ones I've been in (Speechly, Pembina, Tache [which I think no longer exists]), so it's a little less of a dorm vibe. You would need a roommate, but at least you'd have your own kitchen area.

Thanks all! Anyone know how competitive residence is? Do people generally get their first choice?

I would highly recommend avoiding the residences. First of all the campus itself is dreary. I am an undergraduate student there and I try to spend the least amount of time possible on campus. There are many, many affordable housing options where you share with someone else in an apartment or town-house where you aren't overpaying because it is a residence belonging to the university. Pembina hall is NOT like a studio apartment. It is like a classic dorm room with very little space to move around. They even put the single bed on a bed-lifter so that you can store things like your dresser underneath. There is also a giant random bar running through almost every room because apparently it was either needed structurally or they thought university students would dig that woke #IndustrialVibe. You can get a nice two bedroom apartment with actual space, a kitchen and other amenities within 5 minutes by bus of the University. There is a page called University of Manitoba Courses and Questions on fb where you can look for postings about people looking for roommates. 

Edited by EthicsForBreakfast

2 hours ago, EthicsForBreakfast said:

I would highly recommend avoiding the residences. First of all the campus itself is dreary. I am an undergraduate student there and I try to spend the least amount of time possible on campus. There are many, many affordable housing options where you share with someone else in an apartment or town-house where you aren't overpaying because it is a residence belonging to the university. Pembina hall is NOT like a studio apartment. It is like a classic dorm room with very little space to move around. They even put the single bed on a bed-lifter so that you can store things like your dresser underneath. There is also a giant random bar running through almost every room because apparently it was either needed structurally or they thought university students would dig that woke #IndustrialVibe. You can get a nice two bedroom apartment with actual space, a kitchen and other amenities within 5 minutes by bus of the University. There is a page called University of Manitoba Courses and Questions on fb where you can look for postings about people looking for roommates. 

The U of M textbook buy/sell page also has postings for roommates. Waaay more affordable than the campus residences. 

On 1/26/2018 at 10:51 AM, jplawx said:

Thanks all! Anyone know how competitive residence is? Do people generally get their first choice?

Not terribly competitive. Unless you apply in late summer you're likely to get your first choice. Also, the campus is super isolated from the rest of the city (even the other parts of Pembina Highway, which is terribly spread out) and I find it worth it to live on campus simply because of that. You're looking at probably having to commute at least 20 minutes if you live elsewhere and plan on taking public transit to campus which if you have a 9am class can be a PITA. Also, I didn't mention this earlier but Pembina Hall has an en-suite bathroom; in the case of Arthur Mauro you have to share with your roommate. There is no ideal housing situation if you're moving to Winnipeg to go the U of M. It's merely a case picking one of various bad options. 

Edited by 2345434
  • Thanks 1