Sign in to follow this  
guy123

Bar Registration Dilemma

Hi everyone, 

I would really any insights. 

I am registered to write the Ontario Bar June 2018. I indicated on my bar application that I will expect to receive my degree by June Convocation (having in mind that I would complete my courses in April 2018). However, I realized that I am missing 3 credits for my degree, which I would have to take May 01-29 2017. While I would technically have all my credits completed before the June 05 2018 sitting, my convocation would get pushed to October 2018. 

Would taking the extra 3-credit class in May 2018 prevent me from sitting the June 2018 bar? (assuming I pass the class) 

I very much appreciate the help. 

The requirements to be eligible to write the Licensing Examinations as a Licensing Process candidate are as follows:

• Graduation from a common law program, approved by the Law Society, in a university in Canada; or Certificate of Qualification issued by the National Committee on Accreditation appointed by the Federation of Law Societies of Canada and the Committee of Canadian Law Deans.

Find out if your degree will get conferred in June after the May course. Convocation is a formality.

https://www.lsuc.on.ca/FAQs/

I want to write my licensing examinations in November or March: when do I apply to the Licensing Process?

You can apply any time but you must be fully registered and pay all applicable exam and material fees  by no later than 30 business days prior to the examination date. Your official final transcript or NCA certificate of qualification must be on file by no later than 30 business days prior to the date of your first examination. In order to be fully registered, you must have submitted all parts of the application, supporting documents and applicable exam and study material fees.

When and how do I submit my official final transcript/Certificate of Qualification? 

All transcripts/NCA documents confirming that your degree requirements have been met are due immediately upon completion of the requirements OR no later than the deadline posted on the “Dates to Remember” section online if your program is still in progress.

All transcripts/NCA documents confirming that your degree requirements have been met are due by no later than 30 business days prior to the date of your first Licensing Examination if you have completed your educational requirements. Please note that first time writers of the June examinations who graduate in May June of the same year may have their law school submit their final transcript by the August deadline (in the same year).

We do not accept final proof of education documents submitted by you. The Licensing and Accreditation Department must receive the proof of education directly from the issuing institution.

Lawyer and Paralegal Licensing Process

Toll-free line 1-800-668-7380 ext. 3315
Telephone: 416-947-3315  

• Like 1

On 12/15/2017 at 5:12 PM, guy123 said:

I am registered to write the Ontario Bar June 2018. I indicated on my bar application that I will expect to receive my degree by June Convocation (having in mind that I would complete my courses in April 2018). However, I realized that I am missing 3 credits for my degree, which I would have to take May 01-29 2017. While I would technically have all my credits completed before the June 05 2018 sitting, my convocation would get pushed to October 2018. 

Like Lawlyer said, convocation is at a different time from when your degree is conferred. Usually schools confer degrees twice per year: in the fall (around October) and in the spring (around May). Find out when your school's senate confers degrees and as long as you meet the requirements for graduation by then, you should be granted your degree. You don't need to go to convocation if you don't want to; it has nothing to do with actually getting your degree.

It appears the rule is different for a June writing. See the second paragraph:

Can I apply to the Licensing Process even if I don’t have my law transcript/National Committee on Accreditation Certificate of Qualification?

Yes, you can apply but unless otherwise indicated by the Licensing Process, your official final transcript or NCA Certificate of Qualification must be on file by no later than 30 business days prior to the date of your first Licensing Examination. You do not qualify to write a Licensing Examination or start the Experiential Training program until and unless the official transcript or the Certificate of Qualification have been received and approved by the Law Society.

Please note that candidates writing a licensing examination in June for the first time and graduating from law school in May/June of the same year may have their institution send the transcript to the Law Society by the August transcript deadline.