anon103

Chances? 3.7 L2/ 3.4 CGPA

Hi everyone! 

I am looking at applying to McGill next year but I'm not sure whether my stats will be high enough, I would appreciate any feedback!

I will be rewriting the LSAT in 2018, aiming between 160-165+ which should be doable (first score was not sufficient due to extenuating circumstances).

I have a 3.7 for L2 and a 3.4 CGPA, bilingual in French and English, average ECs (many law-related), lots of volunteering, worked at a law firm for the past three years, good references (two profs, one supervisor), and worked all through undergrad.

Not sure if McGill is too high to aim or not... Thanks for any feedback! 

Great L2, good job on that; however, mcgill seems to be more CGPA focused. Depending on the major you had though they may not care. I know an engineer who got in with a 3.1

Was your 1st score counted or was it disqualified. If it was counted, what was it?

On 06/01/2018 at 1:00 PM, HIMHIM92 said:

Great L2, good job on that; however, mcgill seems to be more CGPA focused. Depending on the major you had though they may not care. I know an engineer who got in with a 3.1

Was your 1st score counted or was it disqualified. If it was counted, what was it?

I don't know where you heard this but as far as I know about the admission process (admittedly not much, but I am a student here and have learned things) but this is not a thing. That person was probably exceptional in everything else and likely had a very strong lsat.

On 1/6/2018 at 11:00 AM, HIMHIM92 said:

Congrats on being admitted! If you dont mind sharing, what was your LSAT score?

On 2/11/2019 at 3:37 PM, 1qaz said:

k but im here

1qaz would it be alright if I private message you to find out more about your situation regarding last 2. During one of my years as an undergrad a close friend of mine committed suicide and I tanked my cGPA but have had some strong years since then and wanted to know if I have any shot of being considered, or if my file will just be discarded due to my shit cGPA. Currently working for the marketing department of a hockey team and hoping to eventually transition into their legal department.

Edited by Ryn
Edit to remove employer name
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2018 at 1:00 PM, HIMHIM92 said:

Depending on the major you had though they may not care. I know an engineer who got in with a 3.1

Edit: Didn't realize an old thread had gotten bumped

Edited by pzabbythesecond

On 2/11/2019 at 3:37 PM, 1qaz said:

k but im here

I am 99% sure McGill law takes a cgpa approach. This link indicates minimum 60 credits (so 2 years I believe), but if you have more than 2 years, they will take it all into consideration. So yes, They take cgpa and probably look at an L2 for upward trends.

You probably got admitted off of your cgpa, L2, lsat, etc...holistic 

https://mcgill.ca/law/bcl-llb/admissions-guide/eligibility

16 hours ago, CrimNation said:

I am 99% sure McGill law takes a cgpa approach. This link indicates minimum 60 credits (so 2 years I believe), but if you have more than 2 years, they will take it all into consideration. So yes, They take cgpa and probably look at an L2 for upward trends.

You probably got admitted off of your cgpa, L2, lsat, etc...holistic 

https://mcgill.ca/law/bcl-llb/admissions-guide/eligibility

My info is dated but I was friends withbstudents who sat on the admissions, as well as had classes taught by profs who were actively doing admissions. Klein told us about the criteria.

It's cGPA, couple with references and your cover letter. Yes, some people may get in with a weaker cGPA if their references and cover letter are strong. 

McGill is not a b2/l2 school though. There are no "drops". Your total package is scrutinized.

They do not care about your undergrad major. My cohort ranged from the stand poli sci/econ/business/lit to teachers, engineers, opera singers, graphic design, journalism, psych, math, hard sciences, etc. They barely care about undergrad institution. Brock grads rubbed shoulders with LSE/Cornell/Harvard folk.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, artsydork said:

My info is dated but I was friends withbstudents who sat on the admissions, as well as had classes taught by profs who were actively doing admissions. Klein told us about the criteria.

It's cGPA, couple with references and your cover letter. Yes, some people may get in with a weaker cGPA if their references and cover letter are strong. 

McGill is not a b2/l2 school though. There are no "drops". Your total package is scrutinized.

They do not care about your undergrad major. My cohort ranged from the stand poli sci/econ/business/lit to teachers, engineers, opera singers, graphic design, journalism, psych, math, hard sciences, etc. They barely care about undergrad institution. Brock grads rubbed shoulders with LSE/Cornell/Harvard folk.

Interesting. Does the CV play a critical role in their process as well - or not as much as the references and cover letter?

2 hours ago, gotigerwoods said:

Interesting. Does the CV play a critical role in their process as well - or not as much as the references and cover letter?

It's holistic. Everything they ask for is considered, which is also why it is such a long process. GPA is still quite important though given what that the median is something like a 3.8.