Sign in to follow this  
harveyspecter993

Osgoode Housing Options

On 12/10/2017 at 8:14 AM, harveyspecter993 said:

I've recently discovered that Osgoode chambers' units lack dishwashers. I need a place with a dishwasher to prevent my eczema flaring up again. I've come across the "Quad" and was wondering if anyone would mind sharing their opinion on it. I'd also be grateful for information on safe neighbourhoods within a reasonable distance of the campus. As you can probably tell, I'm not too familiar with Toronto. Thanks.

1L in Passy here--i'm in the bachelor, and there isn't a dishwasher. Actually, doing dishes is a bit of a pain. I have friends in Quad, it's super new and stylish but the units themselves are *incredibly* small. There is no oven (only a two burner hotplate) and the sinks are very thin, barely big enough to wash a cooking pot imo. Not sure if there are dishwashers there.

The Jane and Finch neighbourhood right near Osgoode is probably one of the most unsafe neighbourhoods to live in, so I'd avoid that. There is the Village which I assume has houses with dishwashers, but I'm not sure how safe it is because I've never been there myself.

Edited by sassanids
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2017 at 6:42 AM, sassanids said:

1L in Passy here--i'm in the bachelor, and there isn't a dishwasher. Actually, doing dishes is a bit of a pain. I have friends in Quad, it's super new and stylish but the units themselves are *incredibly* small. There is no oven (only a two burner hotplate) and the sinks are very thin, barely big enough to wash a cooking pot imo. Not sure if there are dishwashers there.

The Jane and Finch neighbourhood right near Osgoode is probably one of the most unsafe neighbourhoods to live in, so I'd avoid that. There is the Village which I assume has houses with dishwashers, but I'm not sure how safe it is because I've never been there myself.

There seem to be two variants of the one bedroom, the deluxe and premium. It would appear that your friends are in the latter because, based on the virtual tour, (https://quadatyork.ca/floor-plans/?sg_popup_id=16), the former appears to possess dishwashers.  My primary concern with the Quad would be the noise levels. Have your friends ever complained about noisy undergrads? How thin are the walls?

With Osgoode Chambers, if you wanted to move in in late August, would you have to pay the rent for the whole of August anyway or would it be pro-rated? Also, is it weird to move in in May?

1 hour ago, harveyspecter993 said:

With Osgoode Chambers, if you wanted to move in in late August, would you have to pay the rent for the whole of August anyway or would it be pro-rated? Also, is it weird to move in in May?

No, it's pro-rated. I think they'll also let you move out on whatever day of the month too. 

I'm not sure how early they would let you move in, but May would probably be a weird time to live there. It's dead here in the summer (even just the week before York starts but after Osgoode has), and you likely wouldn't have any friends yet. 

Assuming there's no reason to live in North York at that point, I'd almost recommend renting one of the U of T dorms during the summer so you can experience the city a bit more: https://www.studentlife.utoronto.ca/hs/summer

• Like 1

On 12/11/2017 at 12:31 AM, BlockedQuebecois said:

As I said above, living off-campus North of Sheppard is just a miserable idea. There's nothing to do and nobody will want to come visit you (because if people are leaving campus they want to go downtown, and if people are living downtown the last thing they want to do is commute north to yet again). You end up with the worst of both worlds — you have to commute to class and to every social event. 

Agreed.

And it's better to live on the yellow line on the Spadina side than the Yonge St. Even green line is okay if you're close to Spadina/ St. George - allows for easy transfer to go on yellow line to York U subway station.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you live at Yonge/ Finch, you'd still have to go down to Yonge/ Sheppard, then take the 196 Express Bus or other bus to campus - still about 20 - 30 mins at least depending on the time of day and weather.

9 hours ago, StacysMom said:

Agreed.

And it's better to live on the yellow line on the Spadina side than the Yonge St. Even green line is okay if you're close to Spadina/ St. George - allows for easy transfer to go on yellow line to York U subway station.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you live at Yonge/ Finch, you'd still have to go down to Yonge/ Sheppard, then take the 196 Express Bus or other bus to campus - still about 20 - 30 mins at least depending on the time of day and weather.

I’m not entirely sure of this as I know they rerouted buses with the extension, but there should be the 199 Rocket from STC via Finch Station that goes to York. It’s possible it now goes to the subway stop instead of campus now. 

I decided to go Osgoode Chambers because it was, in my view, it's economical and convenient. I submitted my housing application in early January and was wondering how long it takes to hear back. Thanks.

Edited by harveyspecter993

49 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

I decided to go Osgoode Chambers because it was, in my view, it's economical and convenient. I submitted my housing application in early January and was wondering how long it takes to hear back. Thanks.

I applied around the same time and I haven't heard anything back yet.  I wouldn't worry about it too much yet.

On 2018-02-04 at 6:00 PM, Housecopter said:

I applied around the same time and I haven't heard anything back yet.  I wouldn't worry about it too much yet.

I believe I heard back in mid-June when I was moving in late August last year.

7 hours ago, Havok said:

I believe I heard back in mid-June when I was moving in late August last year.

That's good to know.  I applied for an August 15th occupancy.  If I recall correctly, it states somewhere on their website that you don't need to worry about calling them unless it's within 6 weeks of your desired move-in date and you haven't heard anything.

The page with the Osgoode Chambers rent shows a different rate for regular and large 1 bedrooms, (http://studenthousing.info.yorku.ca/yorkapts/rates/) however, when I was submitting my application there was only the option for a 1 bedroom, without being able to choose whether it was regular or large. 

Will I be randomly assigned either of the two options or will housing services let me decide? 

Edited by harveyspecter993

1 hour ago, harveyspecter993 said:

when I was submitting my application there was only the option for a 1 bedroom, without being able to choose whether it was regular or large. 

IIRC there are very few of the large 1-bedrooms. If you prefer the regular size just to avoid the extra $170/month, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for Housing to ensure you aren't placed in one.

• Like 1