KilltheLSAT

Questions - Bora Laskin/Thunder Bay

1. What is the salary range for 1st year associate in Thunder Bay and other cities of Northern Ontario?

2. Are there any opportunities for IP law practice in Northern Ontario?

3. How difficult is it to secure first year associate positions with decent grades?

4. Is it advisable to pick Lakehead over Ottawa due to small private practice focus?

5. Would ESL or accent be a problem to practice law in Northern Ontario? (Asking due to lack of diversity IMO, not entirely sure)

4 minutes ago, KilltheLSAT said:

1. What is the salary range for 1st year associate in Thunder Bay and other cities of Northern Ontario?

3. How difficult is it to secure first year associate positions with decent grades?

4. Is it advisable to pick Lakehead over Ottawa due to small private practice focus?

5. Would ESL or accent be a problem to practice law in Northern Ontario? (Asking due to lack of diversity IMO, not entirely sure)

I can only answer #5. Having an accent isnt a problem as Thunder Bay has a large Finish/Italian/Polish community. There are also Indian and Middle Eastern people there.(&and other ethnicities) Most of my own family is ESL. (Of course there will always be people who can't handle an accent).

• Thanks 1

Do you plan on living in Northern Ontario? Do you think you'll be able to attend any canadian law schools in more populated regions?

@BillyBishop I am planning on living in TB at least few years post call, hence I want to gether as much information as possible. 

I may get offer from Windsor and Ottawa based on my December LSAT, however I am almost certain that I will attend Lakehead due to my spouse’s employment situation. I think it does not make sense to go in a long distance relationship for arguably better school. 

On 2017-12-07 at 1:24 PM, KilltheLSAT said:

Thanks

1. Salary ranges are hard to guess, most are negotiated. I would hazard a guess though that TB in general pays less, but that said you $ goes further here. Also, a lot of places will pay you based on your productivity or clients you have. An “eat what you kill” type situation. 

2. I’m not sure on this one. 

3. We don’t have a huge sample size to draw from (2 graduating classes) but I believe they were all able to find employment, if they left Thunder Bay most had to article, but a large majority of firms here are open to hiring as associates after we pas the bar (note: no government positions will hire you without articling)

4. Honestly, the private practice focus has essentially been tossed out the windows now. But, we do have seminars on how to start your own law business, and our focus on practical skills such as drafting and litigations skills would set us apart from Ottawa u - ie. If you want to set up your own practice, you’ll have more practical skills out of school from lakehead than you would from Ottawa. Also, we do have alumni who have set ups their own businesses right out of lawschool, and they’re always around to pick their brain if you wanted to :)

5. I actually think having another language would be useful. Depending On the language of course. We are having an influx of people from all over coming to Thunder Bay, and there could be a need for someone who speaks different languages to assist those communities. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@lalaland554 Thank you so much for providing very useful information. This thread might help future applicants as well. 

I am looking to stay in Thunder Bay after Law School. I understand, it is hard to specify salary range for first year associate (with or without articling), but I am more interested in lower bound of the salary range.

Is it fair to expect 65K with bigger firms (In context to TB)?

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:24 PM, KilltheLSAT said:

1) Not sure but I have spoken with a few partners at some local firms and they have stated its really quite comparable to the larger Ontario cities. Also, we had a small presentation with a superior court justice, and he stated the same thing as well. He also mentioned that the rumor of the small city paycheck isn't necessarily true by any means.

2) We have an IP club here but I have absolutely no clue what they get up to

3) Ill let you know when it is time for me to get a first year associate job

4) I actually just did my undergrad in Ottawa and know several people in the program. If you are looking to work at a small private practice firm I would vouch for Lakehead. Albeit I am not sure of the Ottawa curriculum but small firm practice, and solo practice, is a part of the mandate here. This is especially true if you want to remain in the Northern Ontario region.

5) ESL is not a problem. There are a few people here who speak French, Spanish, etc. One of the criminal law professors is Brazilian I think so she speaks with an accent if that's what you are curious about haha there is diversity here in my opinion (obviously not as much as the larger cities but that goes without saying)

Hope that helps at all

4 hours ago, FingersCr0ssed said:

1) Not sure but I have spoken with a few partners at some local firms and they have stated its really quite comparable to the larger Ontario cities. Also, we had a small presentation with a superior court justice, and he stated the same thing as well. He also mentioned that the rumor of the small city paycheck isn't necessarily true by any means.

2) We have an IP club here but I have absolutely no clue what they get up to

3) Ill let you know when it is time for me to get a first year associate job

4) I actually just did my undergrad in Ottawa and know several people in the program. If you are looking to work at a small private practice firm I would vouch for Lakehead. Albeit I am not sure of the Ottawa curriculum but small firm practice, and solo practice, is a part of the mandate here. This is especially true if you want to remain in the Northern Ontario region.

5) ESL is not a problem. There are a few people here who speak French, Spanish, etc. One of the criminal law professors is Brazilian I think so she speaks with an accent if that's what you are curious about haha there is diversity here in my opinion (obviously not as much as the larger cities but that goes without saying)

Hope that helps at all

Thanks @FingersCr0ssed. I hope someone else would answer first year associate job and salary question. 

Does any professor uses Socratic method including cold calling?

Edited by KilltheLSAT

32 minutes ago, KilltheLSAT said:

Thanks @FingersCr0ssed. I hope someone else would answer first year associate job and salary question. 

Does any professor uses Socratic method including cold calling?

A coupe do, but it’s not as scary as movies would make it out to be, no professor will hang you out to dry if you don’t know the answer. If they can tell you don’t know, most will prompt you with easier or more fundamental questions leading back to the original question :P 

but the vast majority of professors teach as any undergrad prof would. - lecturing :)

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, lalaland554 said:

A coupe do, but it’s not as scary as movies would make it out to be, no professor will hang you out to dry if you don’t know the answer. If they can tell you don’t know, most will prompt you with easier or more fundamental questions leading back to the original question :P 

but the vast majority of professors teach as any undergrad prof would. - lecturing :)

Cold calling scares me to death. :P

On 12/13/2017 at 7:45 PM, lalaland554 said:

Man, at my law school in 1L about half the profs would routinely leave students out to dry. It was as bad as The Paper Chase.

Got more chill in 2L and 3L (well, I mean, I literally just avoided taking classes with those specific profs).

On 2018-03-26 at 4:30 PM, sng said:

Man, at my law school in 1L about half the profs would routinely leave students out to dry. It was as bad as The Paper Chase.

Got more chill in 2L and 3L (well, I mean, I literally just avoided taking classes with those specific profs).

Damn that sucks.... I think lakehead is a little different in that approach which I’m happy with. I’d curl up and die if that happened to me in 1L. 

• Like 1

On 2018-03-26 at 4:30 PM, sng said:

Depending on what you actually mean by leaving a student out to dry, I fail to see any benefit in this style of teaching. Is the student supposed to miraculously remember the details of Hawkins v McGee because the professor embarrasses them. Unless you mean the professor constantly probes the student by giving them hints to the essential aspects of the case in hoping for a eureka moment then I guess I don't mind it.

7 hours ago, lalaland554 said:

Damn that sucks.... I think lakehead is a little different in that approach which I’m happy with. I’d curl up and die if that happened to me in 1L. 

I am already shitting my pants :(