Sign in to follow this  
aaronl

Do Law Schools Check Your Facebook Profile?

3 hours ago, MetcalfeR said:

You are being paranoid. No they do not. They would need a waiver or permission to even try. And it would be practically impossible to do anyhow in terms of the large number of applicants. Besides the fact that a background check or good character requirement is not part of any Canadian law school application criteria.

No, if it's publicly available they don't need a waiver or permission to check - anyone can look you up online.

They probably don't, because they don't have the resources, because they're supposed to be assessing you only on your application (though, if you claim something unbelievable - like winning a Nobel prize, they might Google you), and because looking people up online exposes them to possible human rights complaints (for the same reason, when I did student interviews, we were discouraged from googling our candidates - so we couldn't find out impermissible nuggets about them which might suggest we failed to hire them for anything but the purest of reasons). 

Still, you should do nothing online - anonymously or otherwise - that you would be ashamed to stand behind. 

Edited by maximumbob

If you are going to be summoned for jury selection or be a Crown witness at trial please keep your FB profiles open and put as much stupid stuff on there as you want!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So um, who still uses real names on FB? I got rid of mine years old because of online dating - too much cyber drama. Now, the associates that link their position and company on Facebook... whew boy.

Edited by artsydork
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, artsydork said:

So um, who still uses real names on FB? I got rid of mine years old because of online dating - too much cyber drama. Now, the associates that link their position and company on Facebook... whew boy.

I do but I also can’t be added or messages by people who aren’t already friends with someone I know. As a rule I only add people I’ve personally met, and my public profile is completely private. So I think if you’re conscious of your privacy settings and what information is revealed publicly, it’s probably fine. 

That said, I’m not in practice yet so I don’t know if the way I have it set up will have to be changed eventually. 

1 minute ago, Ryn said:

I do but I also can’t be added or messages by people who aren’t already friends with someone I know. As a rule I only add people I’ve personally met, and my public profile is completely private. So I think if you’re conscious of your privacy settings and what information is revealed publicly, it’s probably fine. 

That said, I’m not in practice yet so I don’t know if the way I have it set up will have to be changed eventually. 

Clients have asked me about FB.  I've also found pretty heinous statuses that have magically found their way into family court pleadings when searching for info about the other client...

I agree that privacy is essential - everyone should have their account private. My gifs and music videos are for me and my friends and not the general public!

I've never heard of anyone checking it from admissions.  When I was on admissions, I certainly didn't care enough to check.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GrainOfSalt said:

Your reputation is what you do when someone is watching.

Your character is what you do when no one is watching. 

That is all....

Some of you guys are so pretentious, I was asking a simple question. My facebook profile is fine, nothing negative. We all drink sometimes, we all have photos. Not trying to present an image of someone I'm not,  but Jesus some people on here have their screws tightened a little too tight. Funny how judgemental people can be hiding behind computer screens.

Edited by aaronl
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, MetcalfeR said:

They would need a waiver or permission to even try.

This reminded me of:

In response to the new Facebook guidelines, I hereby declare that my copyright is attached to all of my personal details, illustrations, comics, paintings, professional photos and videos, etc. (as a result of the Berner Convention)_. For commercial use of the above my written consent is needed at all times! (Anyone reading this can copy this text and paste it on their Facebook Wall. This will place them under protection of copyright laws. By the present communique, I notify Facebook that it is strictly forbidden to disclose, copy, distribute, disseminate, or take any other action against me on the basis of this profile and/or its contents. The aforementioned prohibited actions also apply to employees, students, agents, and/or any staff under Facebook's direction or control. The content of this profile is private and confidential information. The violation of my privacy is punished by law (UCC 1-1-308-308-1-103 and the Rome Statute).

Facebook is now an open capital entity. All members are recommended to publish a notice like this, or if you prefer, you may copy and paste this version. if you do not publish a statement at least once, you will be tacitly allowing the use of elements such as your photos as well as the information contained in your profile status updates...

13 hours ago, aaronl said:

Some of you guys are so pretentious, I was asking a simple question. My facebook profile is fine, nothing negative. We all drink sometimes, we all have photos. Not trying to present an image of someone I'm not,  but Jesus some people on here have their screws tightened a little too tight. Funny how judgemental people can be hiding behind computer screens.

Did you even want an answer, or did you just want to hear everything is fine? No, admissions isn't likely to check. Yes, at some point someone will, who's able to affect your legal career - very likely when you start applying for jobs, which could come as soon as a year from now, halfway through 1L. Use that information however you like. But I think everyone here is making the safe assumption that you have stuff on your Facebook you wouldn't want to be judged by, professionally. If not, you're just wasting everyone's time.

13 hours ago, aaronl said:

Well you did ask the question. We’re allowed to make assumptions about why.

And anyway this isn’t just about you; many people visit this website and are interested in answers to the questions people ask. We’re talking to them as much as you. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Diplock said:

Did you even want an answer, or did you just want to hear everything is fine? No, admissions isn't likely to check. Yes, at some point someone will, who's able to affect your legal career - very likely when you start applying for jobs, which could come as soon as a year from now, halfway through 1L. Use that information however you like. But I think everyone here is making the safe assumption that you have stuff on your Facebook you wouldn't want to be judged by, professionally. If not, you're just wasting everyone's time.

Omg stop being so condescending. Yes, I wanted an answer, not assumptions based on my character. Some people wonder why lawyers are considered arrogant douchebags, you are probably going to be one of the people giving them a reason to believe that. (there's an assumption for you) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, aaronl said:

Omg stop being so condescending. Yes, I wanted an answer, not assumptions based on my character. Some people wonder why lawyers are considered arrogant douchebags, you are probably going to be one of the people giving them a reason to believe that. (there's an assumption for you) 

I don't think anyone was making an assumption on your character based on the lone question. But I'm sure you're most definitely being judged for your hypersensitive responses to practical answers. And I don't see how any of what was said could be described as pretentious or condescending. It's a fact that employers, and maybe to some extent law schools, look up your social media profiles. It's a fact that people have been let go for controversial posts, whether intentional or not. How is it condescending to just give forewarning to others to be mindful of their online activity?

8 minutes ago, aaronl said:

Yeah. Because when you bring your attitude into legal practice, you're really going to raise the tone. I can't wait until the first time your instincts take over and you say "omg Your Honour, why you tripping bro?" Just admit you don't like the fucking answers you got, and clean up your social media, or not. But get over blaming the messengers, who don't owe you shit.

• Like 2

I know that employers (although whether they should or shouldn't is another question) often times do check your social media. This may be different, however, given that they likely only gave job offers to a few candidates, making it a fairly quick task. Law schools on the other hand have thousands of applicants and I doubt they have the time nor the patience to check every single candidate, even only those admitted (which is still a few hundred) . Either way, your social media is a reflection of you as a person and of your character, and more importantly, it's there forever. Ergo you should be very careful about posting anything controversial or anything that could be misinterpreted. 

Long story short: delete it, clean it up, or revamp your privacy settings. Not for law school, but because it's just good practice in general. 

2 minutes ago, Diplock said:

Yeah. Because when you bring your attitude into legal practice, you're really going to raise the tone. I can't wait until the first time your instincts take over and you say "omg Your Honour, why you tripping bro?" Just admit you don't like the fucking answers you got, and clean up your social media, or not. But get over blaming the messengers, who don't owe you shit.

Someone's bitter. Yup of course o wise one, will defs use that vocab in court, like fo sho dog, ya dig? Amazing how you can judge my "instincts" based on two comments; prophetic.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, iReminisce said:

I don't think anyone was making an assumption on your character based on the lone question. But I'm sure you're most definitely being judged for your hypersensitive responses to practical answers. And I don't see how any of what was said could be described as pretentious or condescending. It's a fact that employers, and maybe to some extent law schools, look up your social media profiles. It's a fact that people have been let go for controversial posts, whether intentional or not. How is it condescending to just give forewarning to others to be mindful of their online activity?

Literally talking to two people on here, everyone else's answers are perfectly acceptable and understandable including yours. 

14 hours ago, aaronl said:

Literally talking to two people on here, everyone else's answers are perfectly acceptable and understandable including yours. 

Everyone's answers were perfectly acceptable. You're being weird about it. Calm down.

• Like 3