Sign in to follow this  
Blondlaw

Is 161 a good score?

I was worried about a 161, but my friend who has gotten into law school and is now practicing told me it's a good score, and forums like these skew opinion. I decided to crunch some numbers and was surprised with my results. I161 is definitely a good score, i'll lay out my math below, any input and/or corrections would be appreciated!

Assumptions: 2000 applicants per school, each applicant applies to 4 schools , average class size = 130 students

2000 X 18 (law schools in Canada pertaining to this forum) = 36000 applications

36000 applications/ 4 (because each person applies 4 times) = 9000 applicants

161 = 83 percentile, ergo scored better than 83% of applicants ( I understand that people who score very low may not apply)

.83 x 9000 = 7470 ( your score beats this many applicants)

9000-7470= 1530 (the amount of applicants with your score or above)

130 (average class size) x 18 = 2340

Therefore, a 161  is better than 810 students admitted and definitely gives one a good shot at law school. It may not give you the pick of the litter, but it will get you in. 

• Like 2

The main problem with this approach is that you're assuming people who scored 120-140 are going to apply and is a consistent part of that applicant pool. A 161 is in the 83rd percentile of LSAT takers for a particular test. It doesn't mean you're the 83rd percentile of the 9,000 (or so) applicants.

Not to say a 161 isn't a good score. It's just an erroneous perspective to be looking at things.

Edited by iReminisce
  • Like 1

For most Canadian schools. the line for competitive LSAT scores is ~160, so on a loose definition, then 161 is indeed a "good score:. At the same time, LSAT score isn't everything, and everyone has different definitions of "good".

Yeah your math is entirely wrong for the reason @iReminisce stated. 161 is right around the median LSAT accepted for most of the big schools, so it's (definitionally) better than or equal to the score of 50% of the accepted applicants. 

39 minutes ago, Blondlaw said:

I was worried about a 161, but my friend who has gotten into law school and is now practicing told me it's a good score, and forums like these skew opinion. I decided to crunch some numbers and was surprised with my results. I161 is definitely a good score, i'll lay out my math below, any input and/or corrections would be appreciated!

Assumptions: 2000 applicants per school, each applicant applies to 4 schools , average class size = 130 students

161 = 83 percentile, ergo scored better than 83% of applicants ( I understand that people who score very low may not apply)

Therefore, a 161  is better than 810 students admitted and definitely gives one a good shot at law school. It may not give you the pick of the litter, but it will get you in. 

A 161 is a perfectly reasonable score based on the profile of people taking the LSAT. It's a score around most of the medians for Canadian law schools, so getting in depends on your GPA. It isn't a near auto-admit (not many people will be refused anywhere with a 180) or an auto-reject (GPA doesn't matter much for someone with 120). Plenty of people will be accepted or rejected with that, depending on other parts of their applications.

55 minutes ago, Blondlaw said:

I deliberately haven't read any of the posts. Just the title. Yes...161 is a good score. Period end of story.