Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
iReminisce

Accepted to Western 2018

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Roger5384 said:

Congrats! Very similar stats. What are your LORs and ECs like? 

Thank you! I hope you hear from AdComm soon!

2 strong LORs (both from professors I worked closely with) and average ECs (leadership roles in a few clubs, part-time job)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Accepted!

LSAT: 165

cGPA: 3.47

L2: 3.85

Was not expecting to hear back this early given my low cGPA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, panda23 said:

Accepted!

LSAT: 165

cGPA: 3.47

L2: 3.85

Was not expecting to hear back this early given my low cGPA.

Did you get an email or was it on the student centre?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JDtobe said:

Did you get an email or was it on the student centre?

Acceptances on Student Centre came out long before, ~1100-1130. I got the email telling me to check SC at 1745.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JDtobe said:

Did you get an email or was it on the student centre?

^What @RNGesus said. Saw it on student centre first, and the received email at 5:45 pm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations to all those accepted.

For those interested, I officially declined my offer as London is just too far from family for me. Hopefully this frees up space for someone else early in the cycle.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, iReminisce said:

Congratulations to all those accepted.

For those interested, I officially declined my offer as London is just too far from family for me. Hopefully this frees up space for someone else early in the cycle.

Just curious, why would you choose to decline an offer so soon, besides freeing up a spot for someone else? It's not like you gain a benefit from rejecting it early, unless all your acceptances are in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, iReminisce said:

Well I received offers from 2 of 3 schools that I had the most interest in. It just doesn't make sense to hang onto a spot here when it could go to someone else.

My philosophy is that I paid a lot of money for law school applications so I want to get my money's worth even if I get into my first choice early.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, harveyspecter993 said:

My philosophy is that I paid a lot of money for law school applications so I want to get my money's worth even if I get into my first choice early.

That's fair. But from my POV it's more in my self-interest to simplify the decision process by narrowing down the options.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I won't have access to my acceptance package for a good while, does anyone know if these offers are conditional? Like need to maintain a 75% average in your final year, or have to graduate on time?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still waiting on the acceptance package in the mail, the letter in student centre is very basic and doesn’t mention any conditions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RNGesus said:

As I won't have access to my acceptance package for a good while, does anyone know if these offers are conditional? Like need to maintain a 75% average in your final year, or have to graduate on time?

I was told by the Uwindsor Law Advisor that Ontario schools do not tend to have conditional acceptances. But I'm really curious to definitively know the answer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2017 at 10:17 PM, RNGesus said:

As I won't have access to my acceptance package for a good while, does anyone know if these offers are conditional? Like need to maintain a 75% average in your final year, or have to graduate on time?

I just received my acceptance package in the mail! It doesn't mention anything about conditions, it just has the 2 letters you see on your student centre, as well as some instructions on financial aid, scholarships/bursaries, how to accept the offer, pay for deposit and tuition, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LawStudent1996 said:

I just received my acceptance package in the mail! It doesn't mention anything about conditions, it just has the 2 letters you see on your student centre, as well as some instructions on financial aid, scholarships/bursaries, how to accept the offer, pay for deposit and tuition, etc.

Would you mind sharing when is the deadline to accept the offer & to pay the deposit? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Metro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Metro said:

Would you mind sharing when is the deadline to accept the offer & to pay the deposit? Thanks in advance.

April 1 to accept. June 1 to pay the $500 deposit. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy crap Western (as well as Ottawa and Queen's) are really slacking here eh? I'm trying to bring more than one acceptance home before the holidays 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LaFlame said:

Holy crap Western (as well as Ottawa and Queen's) are really slacking here eh? I'm trying to bring more than one acceptance home before the holidays 

Ottawa and Queen's did say January in their initial emails.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Recent Posts

    • Echoing what everyone has said so far. A master's degree is definitely not necessary for law school, but could be very beneficial. For example, for the 1L IP Recruit - Intellectual Property firms look favourably upon candidates with master's degree in STEM. I went straight to law school from undergrad, and I don't feel like I'm at a huge disadvantage or anything. I would just add that you can also pursue a joint JD/Master's degree program.
    • I think it has to do with timing (call day was literally yesterday and I’m sure wounds are still fresh) and just being a good sport. Of course ppl should be happy and proud of their accomplishments, but to openly brag about winning something so sought after, so soon after the recruit, is a bit much. And yes everyone will land a job eventually, but having empathy for others and taking other ppl’s feelings into consideration can go a long way  
    • Having a Master's has helped me in some, albeit limited, ways in law school: It provided me with a solid skill set with regard to research methodologies, writing, and the ability to read lots. Arguably it's paid off in my Legal Research course which was my highest mark this semester. The Fall assignment was essentially a research paper that, aside from the knowledge of legal sources, I was quite comfortable in performing. It's also helped me in adding an associated set of experiences (writing a thesis, participating in co-ops, internships) that employers have really looked fondly upon in law school. I was given a competitive first year RA position arguably because of my MA degree, and I recently got a 1L government interview ostensibly because of what my MA contributed to my CV.  So I will say having a Master's certainly isn't necessary for admission to law school or doing well in law school, but it can provide some really positive opportunities for you in the right circumstances. I will say that in my case there are other contributing causal factors (age being one) but I wouldn't doubt that my MA definitely had something to do with a lot of the opportunities I've had so far, which I'm very grateful for.
    • @KhalilMack I'm not aware of the SCC process. Can you explain what this draft process means? If I haven't heard anything, is it likely I won't be selected? 

×
×
  • Create New...