Sign in to follow this  
Boabdil

Withdrew from LSAT, Will Write in February

Hi everyone, 

I withdrew from the December LSAT (no refund) because I do not feel ready. I have Pting anywhere between 156 and 168 in the past 10 PT tests I have done but not in a consistent order. I am aiming for a 165 on test day, but I did not want to go in with such variable PTs, and not a good mold of consistency. I guess it would just have been a wasted attempt, quite frankly, so I decided to delay it, and feel that I will be ready by February. I just feel disappointed in myself for underestimating the difficulty of the LSAT, and while I have been able to gain a general understanding of the test, I have not gained any sort of mastery (although improving greatly from diagnostic)

My question is, was this a good decision? 

Here are the schools I applied to:

Queen's, Osgoode, U of T. 

Here are my GPA statistics:

3.86 cGPA, 3.91 (b3), 3.94 (b2)

Thanks everyone, I feel very down knowing that I wasted my money registering for an LSAT which I was not ready for. 

Boabdil

Yeah, with your grades you would have been a lock at Osgoode and Queens with anything above a 160ish. You've also missed out on the chance to rewrite this if you have something go wrong — if you're sick and get a 150 you'll have wasted all your application money as well as the time spent on your applications. 

It was a bad decision, but there's nothing you can do about it now, so I'm not sure why you're asking. 

Future readers: don't do this. Just write, unless you're applying in Alberta. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

Bad decision

How so? 

3 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Yeah, with your grades you would have been a lock at Osgoode and Queens with anything above a 160ish. You've also missed out on the chance to rewrite this if you have something go wrong — if you're sick and get a 150 you'll have wasted all your application money as well as the time spent on your applications. 

It was a bad decision, but there's nothing you can do about it now, so I'm not sure why you're asking. 

The thing is, I was not PTing above 160s consistently. Last ten LSATs (158, 161, 160, 163, 159, 158, 168, 156, 157, 161). I am just looking for advice. 

Do you think that I won't be accepted now? Are acceptances from the February LSAT rare? 

P.s. I am a bit sick at the moment as well. 

Edited by Boabdil

12 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Above are really good advice

You have nothing to gain by doing that.

No one can really predict the outcome. Your PT is a lot better than mine and I wrote 3 times and had a migraine during the 2nd and 3rd attempt. 

Your CGPA is very competitive. You will waste a year, money and efforts if you really screw up in Feb

You backed yourself into a very tight conner.

Edited by Luckycharm

6 minutes ago, Boabdil said:

How so? 

The thing is, I was not PTing above 160s consistently. Last ten LSATs (158, 161, 160, 163, 159, 158, 168, 156, 157, 161). I am just looking for advice. 

Do you think that I won't be accepted now? Are acceptances from the February LSAT rare? 

P.s. I am a bit sick at the moment as well. 

OK, but this is the part I must just not be getting. You did TEN tests (or more?) with a range of scores. How is doing another 10 over 2 more months going to help? 

I'm not sure what kind of advice you're looking for. You've made an irrevocable decision before asking for guidance, all I can really say is that it's a bad one and advise future students not to do it. 

If you're asking for LSAT advice more generally, you should: (1) say so, so that people can answer questions, and (2) read through this forum, because there's plenty of advice already out there. I'm afraid I won't be much help, because I just "got" the LSAT.

If you do well on the LSAT you'll be accepted. If you don't, you won't be. If you're borderline, you run the risk of your application not getting examined until well into the new year when schools are seeing their classes fill up. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Luckycharm said:

Above are really good advice

You have nothing to gain by doing that.

No one can really predict the outcome. Your PT is a lot better than mine and I wrote 3 times.

Your CGPA is very competitive. You will waste a year, money and efforts if you really screw up in Feb

Why didn't you ask us before you withdraw?

I do not know, I just think that I freaked out in the moment of the situation. I was very stressed, considering that I did not start doing well on Logic games until a week ago. Also, my scores began dipping in the past two to three LSATS, and I panicked. I guess I should have asked before withdrawing, but there is nothing I can do now, unfortunately. The money is not a huge deal for me. I guess it's a part of a life lesson. I have only taken 10 practice tests, not including the diagnostic, and in those 10 tests, I scored from mediocre to really good. So, I did not want to go in with such varying PTs. 

Since you've already made the decision, there's nothing you can do now but prepare as best as you can to write in February. Use this time not to worry about the December test any more. I think so much of the LSAT is confidence, and if you don't feel confident, you're not going to do well, especially if you're not consistently scoring where you want to be. Schools will still consider your February LSAT score, but will probably only begin evaluating your application in March/April once it is received. Your stats were otherwise competitive to be considered for early admission with a good enough LSAT score, but you just won't get that shot since you're waiting until February to write, but that doesn't mean you won't still get in.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, providence said:

OK, but this is the part I must just not be getting. You did TEN tests (or more?) with a range of scores. How is doing another 10 over 2 more months going to help? 

Not 10 more, I plan to brush up on my skills over the next two months. My LG skills are severely lacking. 

2 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

I'm not sure what kind of advice you're looking for. You've made an irrevocable decision before asking for guidance, all I can really say is that it's a bad one and advise future students not to do it. 

If you're asking for LSAT advice more generally, you should: (1) say so, so that people can answer questions, and (2) read through this forum, because there's plenty of advice already out there. I'm afraid I won't be much help, because I just "got" the LSAT.

If you do well on the LSAT you'll be accepted. If you don't, you won't be. If you're borderline, you run the risk of your application not getting examined until well into the new year when schools are seeing their classes fill up. 

Alright, thanks. Appreciate it.

The law school and law career is 100 times more stressful.

LSAT is the easy part compare to what you will face.

My scores were 153, 155 and 161 and I never PT over 160

• Thanks 1

Just now, aspiringlawyer123 said:

Since you've already made the decision, there's nothing you can do now but prepare as best as you can to write in February. Use this time not to worry about the December test any more. I think so much of the LSAT is confidence, and if you don't feel confident, you're not going to do well, especially if you're not consistently scoring where you want to be. Schools will still consider your February LSAT score, but will probably only begin evaluating your application in March/April once it is received. Your stats were otherwise competitive to be considered for early admission with a good enough LSAT score, but you just won't get that shot since you're waiting until February to write, but that doesn't mean you won't still get in.

Alright, thanks. I appreciate it. I guess you have a point. I made a horrible decision, and should have just gone forward with the December LSAT. I know that if I screw up, it'll be painful. 

1 minute ago, Luckycharm said:

The law school and law career is 100 times more stressful.

LSAT is the easy part compare to what you will face.

My scores were 153, 155 and 161 and I never PT over 160

I guess I just made a bad decision, but nothing I can do about it now. Thanks for the advice, mate. 

1 minute ago, Boabdil said:

Alright, thanks. I appreciate it. I guess you have a point. I made a horrible decision, and should have just gone forward with the December LSAT. I know that if I screw up, it'll be painful. 

I actually don't think your decision was horrible. I probably would have written it, and seen how I felt after. If felt like I bombed it, I could have always withdrew my score. If you've never written the LSAT in a test scenario, it would have given you that exposure and prepared you slightly better for February. That being said, confidence can totally be a killer, so you need to feel like you're going to rock it whenever it is you choose to write. Now just use this time in other ways to prepare for February, and don't let LG bring down your confidence. If you're scoring at least 156 and sucking in LG, you're doing pretty well in the other sections which account for so much more. LG is also the easiest section to improve on, so with a bit more time, you're going to improve your score a lot. 

• Thanks 1

If it's any reassurance, if you're PTing at mid-high 160s, even if you screw up it might not be "that bad" (this obviously depends on how hard you screw up). An anecdote -  I was feeling super groggy on the day of the exam and I could barely concentrate or think straight and I still ended up with a 160 - I was disappointed as it was a lot lower than what I was PTing at but for a lot of people that would be considered a decent/good score. However, by no means am I saying you will be as fortunate as I was. It could be better or worse. Just do your best to get a consistent PT score and stay in good health

Edited by BayStreetOrBust
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, aspiringlawyer123 said:

I actually don't think your decision was horrible. I probably would have written it, and seen how I felt after. If felt like I bombed it, I could have always withdrew my score. If you've never written the LSAT in a test scenario, it would have given you that exposure and prepared you slightly better for February. That being said, confidence can totally be a killer, so you need to feel like you're going to rock it whenever it is you choose to write. Now just use this time in other ways to prepare for February, and don't let LG bring down your confidence. If you're scoring at least 156 and sucking in LG, you're doing pretty well in the other sections which account for so much more. LG is also the easiest section to improve on, so with a bit more time, you're going to improve your score a lot. 

Thank you, I appreciate your advice greatly. I think that I should have written it, but I new that LG would have been difficult. I am, however, going to study harder for the LG, now that I have a bit more time. I made the mistake of waiting too long to study for this test. I began studying in late October (I know, bad decision), and I barely got anything early on. Thank you, once again. I guess, I thought it was better to wait and then write the LSAT than bombing an LSAT and having to rewrite it again. Also, I have seasonal allergies at the moment, so I think that might have contributed to my decision. 

7 minutes ago, BayStreetOrBust said:

If it's any reassurance, if you're PTing at mid-high 160s, even if you screw up it might not be "that bad" (this obviously depends on how hard you screw up). An anecdote -  I was feeling super groggy on the day of the exam and I could barely concentrate or think straight and I still ended up with a 160 - I was disappointed as it was a lot lower than what I was PTing at but for a lot of people that would be considered a decent/good score. However, by no means am I saying that this will/will not happen. It could be better or worse.

Thanks, I appreciate your advice mate. I think that I was not 100% ready for this upcoming test. But I should have asked for advice before making the decision I did. I guess there is nothing I can do now, other than studying to the best of my ability. 

Edited by Boabdil

22 minutes ago, Boabdil said:

Thank you, I appreciate your advice greatly. I think that I should have written it, but I new that LG would have been difficult. I am, however, going to study harder for the LG, now that I have a bit more time. I made the mistake of waiting too long to study for this test. I began studying in late October (I know, bad decision), and I barely got anything early on. Thank you, once again. I guess, I thought it was better to wait and then write the LSAT than bombing an LSAT and having to rewrite it again. Also, I have seasonal allergies at the moment, so I think that might have contributed to my decision. 

Thanks, I appreciate your advice mate. I think that I was not 100% ready for this upcoming test. But I should have asked for advice before making the decision I did. I guess there is nothing I can do now, other than studying to the best of my ability. 

If you only started studying last month and you're scoring where you are, you're going to be scoring a lot higher by the time February comes around! 

Did anyone else feeling irrationally angry reading this? What I would do for that GPA... and OP may have thrown it away because they weren't at EXACTLY their target.

Based on the ol' chances calculator, you could have gotten a 156 and probably got into Queens, a 158 and probably got into Osgoode and a 163 and possibly got into UofT. Seriously bad decision, you were testing just fine and a LOT of people actually get higher marks on test day (adrenaline, luck). Your biggest enemy now is going to be stress because if you somehow blow February than you've lost your chance for law school next year entirely.

Edited by chaboywb

9 minutes ago, aspiringlawyer123 said:

If you only started studying last month and you're scoring where you are, you're going to be scoring a lot higher by the time February comes around! 

Thanks, mate. Appreciate the encouragement, let's hope so. 

5 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

Did anyone else feeling irrationally angry reading this? What I would do for that GPA... and OP may have thrown it away because they weren't at EXACTLY their target.

Based on the ol' chances calculator, you could have gotten a 156 and probably got into Queens, a 158 and probably got into Osgoode and a 163 and possibly got into UofT. Seriously bad decision, you were testing just fine and a LOT of people actually get higher marks on test day (adrenaline, luck). Your biggest enemy now is going to be stress because if you somehow blow February than you've lost your chance for law school next year entirely.

Sorry if it came off as that. That was not my intention. Also, what is a Law school predictor? You're right, mate. I made a terrible mistake, but now there's nothing I can do about it. I guess I have to get ready for February to the best of my ability, and just hope that it goes well. On a side note, my seasonal allergies have been acting up, so perhaps that contributing more than anything to my decision. But you are right, I should have actually written it. Now, I just have to hope that February goes well.