123ubc456

Potential Vancouver Salary Bump?

56 minutes ago, Igni said:

What are the salary ranges for the smaller firms?

What do you mean? Across all small firms, and all areas of law?

1 hour ago, QuincyWagstaff said:

What do you mean? Across all small firms, and all areas of law?

In the Vancouver area for business law.

12 minutes ago, Igni said:

In the Vancouver area for business law.

It is variable. Sangra is a boutique (small firm), and they pay some of the highest salaries. Also, Vancouver "area" is different than downtown. 

Downtown, I would expect a first year associate to earn between 75-110K, plus bonus. That's a very rough estimate. 

1 minute ago, QuincyWagstaff said:

It is variable. Sangra is a boutique (small firm), and they pay some of the highest salaries. Also, Vancouver "area" is different than downtown. 

Downtown, I would expect a first year associate to earn between 75-110K, plus bonus. That's a very rough estimate. 

What about the small firms in the smaller cities nearby? I'm guessing they would be lower than downtown Vancouver.

Interesting to hear that small firms have such varied salaries.

I've heard from multiple people that Lawson Lundell has recently bumped articling salaries to 65K. Does anyone know if any other firms have followed suit?

I'm also told LL has their first year associates at 103K, which leads the pack for larger firms.

Edit: Didn't see the other Vancouver compensation thread on the front page. Sorry for bumping this one.

Edited by PJFry

On 6/29/2018 at 11:31 AM, Igni said:

What about the small firms in the smaller cities nearby? I'm guessing they would be lower than downtown Vancouver.

Interesting to hear that small firms have such varied salaries.

From what I’ve heard, first year associate salaries for full service mid sized firms from cities in the Fraser Valley seems to be in the 80-90k area

Edited by lawndromat

7 hours ago, PJFry said:

I've heard from multiple people that Lawson Lundell has recently bumped articling salaries to 65K. Does anyone know if any other firms have followed suit?

I'm also told LL has their first year associates at 103K, which leads the pack for larger firms.

Edit: Didn't see the other Vancouver compensation thread on the front page. Sorry for bumping this one.

Lawson has bumped articling salaries to $65k. Not aware of any other firm that’s followed them yet. 

Also, $103k does not lead the pack for first year associates at large firms. I know several that pay anywhere from $104-108k, and a handful that pay more.

3 hours ago, hitman9172 said:

Also, $103k does not lead the pack for first year associates at large firms. I know several that pay anywhere from $104-108k, and a handful that pay more.

I don’t know the Vancouver market very well but the suggestion that there are something approaching 10 large firms paying first year associates $103k+ seems a stretch. 

7 hours ago, Constant said:

I don’t know the Vancouver market very well but the suggestion that there are something approaching 10 large firms paying first year associates $103k+ seems a stretch. 

According to NALP, most large firms in Van are paying $95k-$101k.

If those are pre-bump numbers, $103k+ seems plausible.

4 minutes ago, hottawa said:

According to NALP, most large firms in Van are paying $95k-$101k.

If those are pre-bump numbers, $103k+ seems plausible.

Some are updated on NALP, some are not.

A bunch still have articling salaries listed at 50K (Norton Rose, BLG, Clark Wilson, Fasken), though I can confirm this is not correct. Most have it correctly listed at 55K.

Same thing with associate salaries - I can confirm some are pre-bump and some are post. Cassels Brock and Sangra Moller are the only ones I see listed above 101K, with each being listed at 110K. However, I wouldn't call SM a large firm, and CB is a small satellite office.

10 hours ago, Constant said:

Not a stretch. I can confirm via numbers provided by associates at those firms.

A lot of the info on NALP is out of date, since a lot of large firms bumped their salaries up this year. For instance, Miller Thomson has gone from $96k to $104k this year. Most large firms have given similar raises. 

Edited by hitman9172

Seems like a bunch of downtown firms have followed Lawson and bumped articling salaries to 65k. 

Can confirm that several large Vancouver firms are paying $65k for articling students now. 

Will be interesting to see how big Vancouver firms react to the Calgary lockstep bump. I doubt there’ll be much of a reaction but I do know that more and more big law associates in Vancouver are considering Calgary as a viable option given how expensive Vancouver housing is, even for someone on a big firm salary. 

I'm curious, what about associate salaries?

Does the excel spreadsheet you always hear about exist? If so, is it reliable?

ZSA salary guide seems low and NALP only reports on articling and first year salaries. There are threads like these that have some information but it is difficult to get market salary information, especially if you attended law school out of province and don't have a huge network of lawyer friends.

On 4/30/2019 at 10:18 AM, georgecostanza said:

Does the excel spreadsheet you always hear about exist? If so, is it reliable?

It exists and is pretty reliable.

Also, hearing Blakes Vancouver bumped up associate salaries in the past few weeks. Not sure by how much.

I suspect that a bump has occurred through much of downtown Vancouver. I'm at a midsize downtown firm and last month we increased both our articling and associate salaries so as to sit slightly below those of national/large regionals.

Edited by spicyfoodftw
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, spicyfoodftw said:

I suspect that a bump has occurred through much of downtown Vancouver. I'm at a midsize downtown firm and last month we increased both our articling and associate salaries so as to sit slightly below those of national/large regionals.

Can confirm that Blakes, McCarthy’s, Stikeman, Fasken, BLG, and Bennett Jones in Vancouver have raised associate salaries by a few thousand over the past month or so. Also, I believe articling salaries for most of the big firms in dt Van are at $65,000 now.

Edited by hitman9172