lau

How many schools are you applying to and why?

On 11/26/2017 at 11:28 AM, erinl2 said:

Let's refrain from 'egging' and derailing the thread, especially when we know that, for the most part, the only ones who care about so-called prestige, are law students.

Thank you.

In my humble opinion, 100% of people care and you're 100% wrong. Saying that I go to Osgoode impresses everyone I tell.... and I mean everyone. Had I told them I went to anything except Osgoode/U of T, I can guarantee you I wouldn't get the same response. If anything, I'd say the only people it doesn't impress is law students. Going through OCIs, virtually everyone had the same shot at many of the firms. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, binniej said:

In my humble opinion, 100% of people care and you're 100% wrong. Saying that I go to Osgoode impresses everyone I tell.... and I mean everyone. Had I told them I went to anything except Osgoode/U of T, I can guarantee you I wouldn't get the same response. If anything, I'd say the only people it doesn't impress is law students. Going through OCIs, virtually everyone had the same shot at many of the firms. 

This is closer to my experience. Random people are the most likely to be impressed by UofT/Osgoode, then law students and the least impressed firms during OCI's. In Ontario the firms seem to be looking to support all the law schools. That or not wanting to offend any of them. Not a huge difference between attending the top 4 or 5 schools at that point. Mind you still advantage UofT. 

If you'll notice, I said for the most part and 100% of people care? Who are all these people you're telling you go to Osgoode? And why are you telling them? I suppose it may depend who it is you're telling and why it impresses them but, trust me, the only ones who discuss 'prestige' persistently, are law students, not lawyers.

And I say this as someone who also only applied to U of T and Osgoode, and got into both, with a large entrance scholarship to Osgoode, but who chose U of T. My reasoning was primarily because I didn't want to move, or commute. It had nothing to do with prestige and I'm in my sixth year of practice and can't say that I've had any conversations with anyone about my prestigious JD.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, binniej said:

I think you need to expand your social circle a bit; you might find a greater diversity of opinions on how impressive it is.

In all seriousness, some ppl who aren't in the legal industry are impressed by law school, doubly so if you're going to a law school they have heard of before (which is maybe a handful across Canada, and mainly for historic reasons). The rest of the world isn't so impressed...

• Like 3

13 hours ago, binniej said:

It's true that telling people you go to Osgoode usually elicits the most impressed murmurs, at least here in Toronto, but that's because: (1) most everyone who lives in the city knows the building and assumes I go to school there; and (2) the vast majority of people think it's U of T's law school. I should emphasize that it's not because the general population is so impressed with U of T as a law school, it's just that it's a more recognizable name and people immediately make the connection because of where Osgoode Hall is located. But I promise you that's as far as the thinking goes for the vast majority of laypeople. In other words, you should give absolutely no credence to someone being impressed with you going to Osgoode (or U of T for that matter), because it's meaningless.

I mean, everyone's different I guess, but I try to avoid telling people that I'm in law school or what school I go to. First off, the people who you'd want to have care about that sort of thing don't, and everyone else's opinion doesn't matter. Second, I think it's a really superficial thing to care about, and I find that the people who make the most impressed noises upon hearing that I'm training to be a lawyer are also the kinds of people who I really don't want to be friends with.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ryn said:

It's true that telling people you go to Osgoode usually elicits the most impressed murmurs, at least here in Toronto, but that's because: (1) most everyone who lives in the city knows the building and assumes I go to school there; and (2) the vast majority of people think it's U of T's law school. I should emphasize that it's not because the general population is so impressed with U of T as a law school, it's just that it's a more recognizable name and people immediately make the connection because of where Osgoode Hall is located. But I promise you that's as far as the thinking goes for the vast majority of laypeople. In other words, you should give absolutely no credence to someone being impressed with you going to Osgoode (or U of T for that matter), because it's meaningless.

I mean, everyone's different I guess, but I try to avoid telling people that I'm in law school or what school I go to. First off, the people who you'd want to have care about that sort of thing don't, and everyone else's opinion doesn't matter. Second, I think it's a really superficial thing to care about, and I find that the people who make the most impressed noises upon hearing that I'm training to be a lawyer are also the kinds of people who I really don't want to be friends with.

Good old Diplock (at least I think it was Diplock) said something like this a long time ago: if you're constantly finding that you are surrounded by ppl more impressive than you, then it's likely a symptom of being successful at what you're doing - you're being pushed into new environment with smart, ambitious ppl (e.g. you enter a law firm, no one will be impressed by law school X, unless it's Oxon/HYS or something, and even then they prob already have several partners and associates who went to those schools.) I think the converse is also true: if everyone you talk to is impressed by you, then you may not be hanging around with a very impressive group of ppl... 

• Like 7

15 hours ago, binniej said:

Not my experience in the slightest when it comes to Osgoode. Nobody I've spoken to considers it any more prestigious than Queens, Western, or Ottawa. As a matter of fact, a lot of people I've talked to think Queens is the best law school in the province.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2017 at 8:49 AM, conge said:

I think you need to expand your social circle a bit; you might find a greater diversity of opinions on how impressive it is.

1) If there's one thing I've learned it's life, it's that you should never never judge anyone. Clearly, you haven't learned this lesson. I'll spare you my story but you should really get out in the real world and gain some other life experiences. Don't surround yourself with privileged folk. They're a minority. 

2) Are you suggesting that it's just as impressive to go to Windsor, UK, or Australia as it is to go to Osgoode/U of T/McGill? Further, are you suggesting its just as impressive to go to U of T as it is to go to Harvard? The prestigious schools in Canada are prestigious - look no further to the higher threshold to get in. You are surrounded by higher calibre students as judged through LSAT/grades/extra-curricular. Don't pull a Trump here and try to claim something which doesn't logically follow. 

On 12/6/2017 at 2:06 PM, chaboywb said:

Not my experience in the slightest when it comes to Osgoode. Nobody I've spoken to considers it any more prestigious than Queens, Western, or Ottawa. As a matter of fact, a lot of people I've talked to think Queens is the best law school in the province.

Never heard that and probably never will again. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, binniej said:

1) If there's one thing I've learned it's life, it's that you should never never judge anyone. Clearly, you haven't learned this lesson. I'll spare you my story but you should really get out in the real world and gain some other life experiences. Don't surround yourself with privileged folk. They're a minority. 

[Emphasis in original, but very relevant]

I firmly subscribe to this worldview. That's why I judge everyone, all the time. 

Never never judge anyone folks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, binniej said:

2) Are you suggesting that it's just as impressive to go to Windsor, UK, or Australia as it is to go to Osgoode/U of T/McGill? Further, are you suggesting its just as impressive to go to U of T as it is to go to Harvard? The prestigious schools in Canada are prestigious - look no further to the higher threshold to get in. You are surrounded by higher calibre students [emphasis added] as judged through LSAT/grades/extra-curricular. Don't pull a Trump here and try to claim something which doesn't logically follow. 

You never judge anyone, except when it’s the calibre of student as judged through LSAT, grades, and extracurriculars?

Not sure those two statements are consistent. Don’t pull a Trump and try to claim something which doesn’t logically follow. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, binniej said:

It really depends what part of Canada you live in.

2) Are you suggesting that it's just as impressive to go to Windsor, UK, or Australia as it is to go to Osgoode/U of T/McGill? Further, are you suggesting its just as impressive to go to U of T as it is to go to Harvard? The prestigious schools in Canada are prestigious - look no further to the higher threshold to get in. You are surrounded by higher calibre students as judged through LSAT/grades/extra-curricular. Don't pull a Trump here and try to claim something which doesn't logically follow. 

I'm just saying that, at some point, you'll probably meet some ppl that aren't very impressed that you went to Osgoode or wherever, and most ppl who are impressed probably don't know all that much about law schools.

• Like 1

I think it may be due to an association with Kingston Pen that leads people to believe all the best criminal lawyers study there.

Edited by chaboywb

51 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

I think it may be due to an association with Kingston Pen that leads people to believe all the best criminal lawyers study there.

Actually it's a hungover reputation from about fifteen years ago when Queens really WAS the best place to study criminal law. There were a number of very high profile professors teaching (I think only Stuart and Manson remain from that group although the newer profs may be just as good) and there was an intensive clinical program that involved the prisons (most of which have now shut down).

When Bill Flanagan came on as Dean somewhere around 2004, he shifted the focus to international and business law. The criminal stuff began to dissipate, and now it's not a major strength of the school, although it is still a very solid program.

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2017 at 7:19 PM, binniej said:

Saying that I go to Osgoode impresses everyone I tell.... and I mean everyone. 

(Small suggestion: If some one asks, great. But make sure you aren't deliberately directing the conversation to that question, or flat out volunteering this information under your own steam, even if it's disguised as a modest comment. No one wants to be That Person.)

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Hegdis said:

(Small suggestion: If some one asks, great. But make sure you aren't deliberately directing the conversation to that question, or flat out volunteering this information under your own steam, even if it's disguised as a modest comment. No one wants to be That Person.)

Ugh I was that guy at a bar during O-week. I’m talking to these young women and figured they must have been from Osgoode too, since who in their right mind goes out on a Tuesday? So I ask what section they’re in and they’re all confused, so I say “Oh, you don’t go to Osgoode, my bad!” Needless to say they recognize the name and I’m that guy.

Felt gross after. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois

19 hours ago, Hegdis said:

"Excuse me sir, what time is it?"

"Eleven o'clock - oh my gosh, I have to be at Osgoode for eleven-thirty. I'm late for OSGOODE. Law school!"

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Why and how in the hell are we even having a conversation about the value of impressing people who don't know anything at all about the legal industry in Canada? You might as well talk up the value of going to Blaverd Law School because when you say it fast sometimes people get confused and think you are going to Harvard. Seriously? I'm embarrassed for anyone even advancing this as a talking point.

There are schools where, in a limited sense, reputation can matter. Yes. And even prestige is, in some contexts, a real thing that can have an effect on your legal career. No, it is not completely a chimera in the minds of law students. But can we please distinguish between that and shit that might impress the latest person you met on Tinder? If that's your reference point, you need to get a little context in your life.

• Like 2